Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tint, or not tint?

Tint, or no tint?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Previously I had tinted the standard clear rear side and rear glass for a Discovery 4 I had, I now have the black/black ISF and am considering doing the same. So, opinions please on a 20% tint for my ISF?

• Yes, 20%
    • No tint
    • Yes, but a different tint level

I was planning on going for the 20% light transmission version, like I had done before. I think 5% is too much, but am not convinced by the 35% version. 55% I see as a waste of time / money.

TINTS.png

So did you have 20% on, and then had them changed to 35%, or did you just go on gut feel.

I will admit that the 20% on the Disco 4 was quite a well lit cabin to start with, despite the black cloth interior. With ours being black / black with black, it may get a little claustrophobic with 20%. However, it's the only one I have experience of.

Straight to 35%. Its hard to tell but we do have a slight factory tint in the rear so it does end up slightly darker than the 35%. I didnt want a black out limo look, feels and looks more OEM to me but its all a personal preferance of course.

• 5 months later...
On 08/07/2016 at 11:08 AM, DT_Racing said:

Straight to 35%. Its hard to tell but we do have a slight factory tint in the rear so it does end up slightly darker than the 35%. I didnt want a black out limo look, feels and looks more OEM to me but its all a personal preferance of course.

@DT_Racing, I've got a quote for a b-pillar back tint at a local place for £150, done next Thursday. Seem reasonable?

Also, are your photos with the 35% tint applied?

So what are people's reasons for not liking the 20%?

Is it because the inside gets too dark in our pasty UK sunlight, or it something else?

I would have thought the 20% would appeal for the black cars, externally, for the continuity of the paint colour. But I can understand if the inside gets a little coffin like. Or is it the slightly greater contrast between front and rear that puts people off?

I'm probably going to get my Firenze red Disco 4 with almond interior done with 20% from the b-pillars back like I had done on our previous Bali blue Disco 4.

On 18/12/2016 at 5:19 PM, dr_rick said:

So what are people's reasons for not liking the 20%?

Is it because the inside gets too dark in our pasty UK sunlight, or it something else?

I would have thought the 20% would appeal for the black cars, externally, for the continuity of the paint colour. But I can understand if the inside gets a little coffin like. Or is it the slightly greater contrast between front and rear that puts people off?

I'm probably going to get my Firenze red Disco 4 with almond interior done with 20% from the b-pillars back like I had done on our previous Bali blue Disco 4.

Like you I have a Disco, I had it done with 5% limo tint, I feel it is too dark at night when reversing. Because of that I had my Lexus done with 20% tint and find it so much better, no problems seeing out the rear at night. And honestly doesn't look too much different from the outside compared to my Disco.

I'd never go for the 5% option.

I'm erring towards the 20%.

Probably not helping that I'm thinking of going for the 'murdered out' look and black plastidipping the chrome window trim and rear badges. Plus some sort of affordable bodykit (would love a TOMs carbon fibre kit, but my budget won't stretch that far).

Damn it!

An earlier owner (not the one immediately previous to me) had a tint removed poorly, which means my previous quote has risen to £200 to allow the fitter to remove the seats and parcel shelf to clean the rear screen properly and refit with 20% film.

Going back in on the 27th.

I actually organised the tints via Scot-Tint, who are in New bridge, but the job itself was subbied out to National Tints when at the last minute Scot-Tint had roof damage due to Storm Barbara. national do work for Scot Tint.

To early to tell on recommendations yet as the tints are still drying off finally. I do get a warranty from Scot-Tint. I'll feedback though.

Because a previous owner as done a poor removal job of the old tint, the fitter had to remove the rear seats and parcel shelf, so it took a little longer. Thankfully the 38 bus goes straight into town.

• Like 1