Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Service Intervals & Maintenance

I've had my LS400 for a year this week and I've been planning the future maintenance out so that I can try and make sure that all the areas are covered.

My car has full Lexus history up to 46,930 (23/9/2002) and the service record uses a Schedule A/B/C system which takes place every 6,000 miles. I bought the car from a private estate who were the original owner. After 2002 the estate employed the services of a mechanic to visit the estate every six months and perform checks on all the vehicles and replace anything necessary. 

The problem with this is that the estate secretary filed the invoices each month and so when I purchased the car they said they weren't going to dig through 13 years of estate accounts to find the Lexus related ones - I couldn't really argue with that. So I then found myself with a car that has obviously been maintained, but not knowing exactly when last items were completed.

After I purchased the car I was provided with the details of the mechanic to contact; I went to see him and he confirmed that he had replaced anything required and whatever cost. The temperature / clock LCD displays had been repaired and the timing belt & water pump had been replaced 'a few years ago'. I'm now trying to build a T0 so that I can cover all of the regular service items in a timely manner. On purchase Japex in Hertfordshire looked over the car and advised on which items / fluids should be replaced and which appeared to be as new.

By collating information from different online sources I came up with the following which uses a 7,500 interval (from a US document I found) opposed to the original 6,000 miles. I just like the round numbers!

Interval (Miles) Interval (Months)
Engine Oil & Filter 7,500 12
Pollen Filter 15,000 24
Engine Coolant 30,000 24
Engine Air Filter 30,000 24
Brake Fluid 30,000 36
Fuel Tank Cap Gasket 60,000 72
Spark Plugs 60,000 72
Timing Belt 90,000 120

I have put this into a spreadsheet and attached it incase anyone else is interested.

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the following intervals (mileage / time) to add to the list:

Automatic Transmission Fluid (Drain / Refill)

Differential Oil (Drain / Refill)

Power Steering Fluid (Drain / Refill)

Mark

L400-Service-Schedule.xls

• Like 2

.........  engine air filter for me seems to be every year, it gets so crappy after about 10 / 12000 miles in my neck of the woods ...............

others might well be able to eek 30,000 miles from their's but I know mine would be a solid lump of grit by then and totally useless in fulfilling it's purpose in life :whistling:

Malc 

• Like 1

Re: 

Automatic Transmission Fluid (Drain / Refill)

Differential Oil (Drain / Refill)

Power Steering Fluid (Drain / Refill)

If you can't tell, I'd get them all done.

Not sure how often though? ( Not very )

Well in my Service Record booklet it says change Differential oil every 27,000 miles and Transmission oil replace every 36,000 miles that would I guess be a drain and refill.

What bothers me is there a lot of resistance to changing the gearbox and diff oils...

Even Lexus advised me to leave the diff alone...I struggle to see how refreshing the oil can cause damage. The stuff won't last forever either...perhaps the damage is coincidental or changes are bad or whining diff so the owner not unreasonably goes for an oil change that in most cases is the most sensible thing to do? 

No oil or fluid can keep on doing it's job after years and years, my Diff' is getting Redline Synthetic when it stops raining! I think a lot of the problem with these dealerships is they don't really have mechanics anymore they are fitters nowadays.

• Like 1

I changed the diff oil on my mk4 after it had done 100k miles or so. It's stinky stuff! Also, the hex nuts can be very tight, so make sure the Allen key is a really good fit before you start wrenching on it; you don't want to 'round' the nut. Always top one first. Make sure the car is completely level when you do it or you could under fill it. Use the right grade of oil. It comes in squeezy bottles which have a long plastic tube for the filler hole.

• Like 1

Simon, the oil itself (new or old), is smelly stuff. Not sure what's in it but it's formulated to withstand extreme pressures. I believe the correct grade is GL5, using any good brand.There is a tutorial for this job somewhere. My car is still running fine since doing the Diff oil change.

• Like 1

Brian - thanks and glad to hear it. Given my LS is 78k in that's low wear in Lexus dog years I'm go to change the diff oil and 2ltrs of the gearbox oil by draining the sump pan. The oil is 16 years old and that's no good for frying chips... 

• Like 1

First of all lets get this gearbox lubrication sorted out.

The gearbox does not have oil in it as transmission fluid ,it is best sourced from Lexus as it is formulated for their gearboxes but can be used in all Toyota auto gearboxes.

Taking out the 2 litres of fluid from the transmission drain pan will not remove much of the contents of the transmission and associated cooling system .

The correct way is two remove it via the filler tube with a pump, you will need about 12 litres of fluid to clear the whole system.

I have a 12volt marine engine oil removal pump I used to market that originated in the states but is no longer produced there are similar models in the marinas.

Take out two litres and put in two litres run the car round the block and repeat the process until the fluid is cherry red and smells new.  

• Like 1

Changed the Differential oil last night, the worst bit was getting the plugs undone I used plenty of WD40 and a 10mm Differential socket I had to put a torque wrench on one to get enough leverage. I must say it does seem very smooth today it could be my imigination of course!

I do think changing the transmission filter when you flush or pump out the fluid has to be a sensible thing especially on higher mileage vehicles. Personally I'd prefer to do a flush as you can see when the fluid becomes clear. At Smiffies Soarer Sanctuary where they do these transmissions all the time and have probably done more than anyone else in GB they flush, then drain and drop the pan and replace the filter then clean all surfaces and seal with Loctite 5669 sealant the stuff Toyota use, fill again run around the block then test the fluid level with the car in gear. I've seen a really dirty transmission have 23 litres of fluid pumped through before the fluid was clean enough.