Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello All,

I never believed that such thing would ever happen, but I have "almost" recommended IS220d to my friend. Obviously, I have mentioned all my reservations towards the car. And in other hand I have always pointed out in the past that IS220d is not generally bad car, but it is not suitable for city driving and short journeys. But here is the story:

Guy is looking for first car, not too expensive, not too powerful (not to much to insure) and reasonably economical, but not fort focus or fiesta or something with 1.2 litter engine. His trip is once a week drive London to Leicester on Monday (~120miles) and then back to London on Friday. In Leicester work is 2 minutes on foot, so unlikely to drive at all, maybe one or 2 trips to local shops for 2 miles.

He doesn't mind diesel and actually prefers Manual. I was advocating for IS250 to him for a while, but during our last discussion I just couldn't find any arguments to kill IS220d. Especially, 2008 SE-L, with Moonroof, ML and Navigation/reverse camera, 63k miles, FLSH for £2800. 

I just tough you might going to be able to help me with some argument which IS220d would be still inferior to IS250, but taking his requirements I am really struggling with arguments except of being reluctant to admit the truth.

• Engine is unreliable when driving in city, majority of the issues nonexistent in predominately motorway driving. As well car being 63k miles is still eligible for extended warranty (unless I am missing something?).
  • Sluggish performance we need to put in certain perspective, yes it is sluggish compared to IS250, not so much with BMW 320d or MB C200/220cdi, and not at all compared to 1.2 focus or 1.0 fiesta.
  • He would have rid of the car by 2019/2020. Lifespan ~ 2 years max. It is generally only for work in Leicester for next 1,5 until he finishes his practice there. 

P.S.  - you probably already realised I am playing "devils advocate" here. I would like to concentrate on his journey - twice a week all motorway journey for 120miles one way.

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:
  • Engine is unreliable when driving in city, majority of the issues nonexistent in predominately motorway driving. As well car being 63k miles is still eligible for extended warranty (unless I am missing something?).
  • Sluggish performance we need to put in certain perspective, yes it is sluggish compared to IS250, not so much with BMW 320d or MB C200/220cdi, and not at all compared to 1.2 focus or 1.0 fiesta.
  • He would have rid of the car by 2019/2020. Lifespan ~ 2 years max. It is generally only for work in Leicester for next 1,5 until he finishes his practice there. 

P.S.  - you probably already realised I am playing "devils advocate" here. I would like to concentrate on his journey - twice a week all motorway journey for 120miles one way.

I would rather the 320d tbh, I've read so many bad experiences of the months I was searching for my next car from previous owners of the IS220. For the money it seems like a good deal though, but factor in 2 years warranty will be £800 extra from Lexus. What about an Audi A4?

He hate both 320 and MB C series of the time. A4 is not really that luxurious car, but rather re-badged Passat, interior really looks dim. After all, MB, BMW and Audi are all almost twice the price, for possible worse trim.

So he almost gets extended warranty free. 

I must admit I am behind many stories of how unreliable IS220d is and the forum speaks for itself, but I strongly believe IS220d surfers mostly because people drive them wrong, which included any journeys under 15 miles, and any city driving.

Well, you know my opinion :smile:

Yes, it would be eligible for the extended warranty provided it passed its visual safety check without issue.

I am puzzled though; 2008 SE-L, with Moonroof, ML and Navigation/reverse camera, 63k miles, FLSH for £2800?  How come so cheap?

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

If its a first car id be saying a VW Polo 1.4 tbh. He's going to prang it somewhere guaranteed

I have clearly saying he is no in those buckets with 1.2... or OK 1.4. While it is his first car he is not teenager. 

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

How come so cheap?

I know it is amazing how these cars have no value whatsoever. Part of the story is grey - which I believe is most common and least desirable colour. As well he has not viewed the car yet, so it might turn out to be complete lemon, but there were like ~20 similar cars under 3.5k. This particular one was the best of them old, I remember there being another 2007 SE-L, with Nav with 82k miles for £2650. Generally there is huge choice of unbelieveable value between £2500-3500. Except them being not suitable cars for any type of other driving, but motorway +50 miles. 

IS220d is like the car you need to keep separate for the times when it comes to long journey on motorway and have second car for all other times.

Hi Guys first time posting on the forum but wanted to share my experience. I have a 07 Is220d for almost a year now with 120k. I drive about 400 mile per week motorway driving. 

When I got the car it wasn't great so got it remapped. I then got it carbon cleaned through the air box and put some fuel cleaner in it to and still not great. Low revs poor. Couldn't get 40mpg no matter what I done. Monday night I decided to pull of the egr valve and it was totally blocked. The fuel cleaner and 1 hour carbon clean was useless. I soaked the egr valve in brake cleaner and also the steel pipe. Used a tooth brush to get as much carbon off the manifold. Put it all back together and I'm not getting 50 mpg at 75mph. Takes any gear at low revs. Different car. It took me about 2 hours and it's only 6 nuts.

Hope this helps some of yous.

Edited by Mark c
Forgot to tick notify of reply but can't tick it on edit either

When had my is220d 2006 cleaned egr myself @ 80k made  such difference. My dpf got blocked due to local miles had it cleaned  ur dpf won't block as u do motorway miles. Sold it bought is250 2009. 

• 2 weeks later...

DPF's are the only downfall to any diesel car regardless of marque but the bigger problem is the general public dont know how to use/treat said item as dealers wont tell you your super economical money saving oil burner needs a good thrash every now and then,or to use good fuel or additives once in a while.The is220d is a superb machine,streets ahead of bmw or merc for the price,As your friend will be hitting some good miles for me its a winner!..just to add if its a manual car even round town you can work the dpf simply by keeping the revs higher by not going into 4th etc!

my neighbour has a newish diesel mercedes, runs only short local journeys and has had no issues at all. It does have a special tank for an additive called adblue so this must help with short journeys. Is there no way of using additives with the IS220D

A DPF or Adblue are alternatives - vehicles that use Adblue don't have DPFs. It has been used on commercial vehicles for quite some time - widespread use on cars is relatively recent. Mercedes, Jaguar and I think Renault use Adblue and it's getting more widespread. It's nasty stuff though and car owners are not generally expected to top it up, although I see it on sale in quite a few garages these days. Commercial fleets generally  have a 'man' who needs to attend to it regularly.

The additives mentioned here in the past which go in with the fuel are simply no alternative - Adblue has a separate tank and the fluid is injected (into the exhaust manifold) according to a program.

You can't just put adblue in the car, and I don't know of any additives that would affect the EGR and DPF systems.  The best method is still a long blast up a motorway once in a while.  That and taking the EGR off and cleaning it.

Your neighbour probably hasn't used the car enough for it to become a problem yet, but I suspect it is only a matter of time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links