Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh Dear - LS400 Listing on the nearside

Just as things were going so well, the car was serviced, taxed, insured, and under a lengthly spell of wafting, i went over a speedhump today, not massively quick, and felt a definite knock.  The car now appears to be listing at the right nearside, see below.

Anyone care to offer their experience? I've booked it into the garage tomorrow for a once over, and I'll try to get it jacked up to look at it, if there is anything obvious.  I do remember noting the spring looked very worn when I changed the wheels.

UPDATE: I've just jacked it up, taken off the wheel and the spring isn't under tension or attached to anything at all, NOTE from the photos the fact that I can move it...

Just called Lexus for a price for supply only for a pair

lexus back end.jpg

lexus spring 1.jpg

lexus spring 2.jpg

Thats annoying.  You may want to check this out as how to replace the spring yourself.  I do worry as I have two t'bay replacement springs and that spring is not what I'd expect an original to look like.  Maybe I'd better stick with the rusty originals until I have no option but to change.  Daresay Lexus quote is Exhoribtant?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Thats annoying.  You may want to check this out as how to replace the spring yourself.  I do worry as I have two t'bay replacement springs and that spring is not what I'd expect an original to look like.  Maybe I'd better stick with the rusty originals until I have no option but to change.  Daresay Lexus quote is Exhoribtant?

Oh yes.

£120 plus VAT per spring from Lexus...

The guy there (who's a nice guy) asked a mechanic for a time estimate, but in 8 years he hadn't had to replace any.  I guess thats more age of the vehicles rather than reliability.

.....  somewhere on here i remember seeing someone showing and mentioning complete units of pre-fixed springs and shockers as a complete unit and the ease of replacing !

( I think it was on this forum somewhere :whistling: )

Malc

• Like 2

Looking on the other side, I think the spring has just dropped off of the lip of the strut (apologies for any incorrect terminology) - UPDATE, it's snapped, and part of the spring has stayed on the strut.

Looking at Rock Auto Stuart, the rear strut inc Spring, are $70 each (I've not looked at postage prices).  I can see from the video it's more labour intensive.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,1997,ls400,4.0l+v8,1187524,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174?a=Referer+www.google.co.uk+URL+%2F

5 hours ago, Malc said:

.....  somewhere on here i remember seeing someone showing and mentioning complete units of pre-fixed springs and shockers as a complete unit and the ease of replacing !

( I think it was on this forum somewhere :whistling: )

Malc

That may have been me when I broke the 1997 I had, sold all 4 complete struts to another member.

Actually unbolting and removing the complete strut takes minutes, it's the seat removal and refitting that eats up the time, if you removed the rear seat and parcelshelf yourself before taking it to the garage that would save some labour costs then refit it all back home.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

Looking on the other side, I think the spring has just dropped off of the lip of the strut (apologies for any incorrect terminology) - UPDATE, it's snapped, and part of the spring has stayed on the strut.

Looking at Rock Auto Stuart, the rear strut inc Spring, are $70 each (I've not looked at postage prices).  I can see from the video it's more labour intensive.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,1997,ls400,4.0l+v8,1187524,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174?a=Referer+www.google.co.uk+URL+%2F

Which is pretty cheap. If you put it in the basket and follow through with your postcode it will show the import total price. No need to complete. Not sure whihc is right for your Car.

I wish I'd checked this out before buying a set of springs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisermark said:

you see mark if you had bought a ls430 instead you wouldnt be having this problem now as they are air suspension!:yes: - lol

hope you its sorted quickly and to your satisfactisatisfactio

At last our time has come!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

I spent the whole of the weekend grinning, its such a lovely car to drive

However now its only a three wheeler!

Ah, well, if only you had bought a big Citroen!

Try googling 'Citroen on 3 wheels' to see video.

The hydraulics adjust suspension to keep wheel off ground.  Folk have reported not noticing flat tyres at 70 mph+!!

Loved mine.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Actually unbolting and removing the complete strut takes minutes, it's the seat removal and refitting that eats up the time, if you removed the rear seat and parcelshelf yourself before taking it to the garage that would save some labour costs then refit it all back home.

Thanks Steve.

I've just followed a tutorial online, 30 minutes work (excluding taking out the parcel shelf, which I'm undecided on, as I can see the bolts at the top, and there seem to be a few people who have also left it in). I'm sure putting them back in will take a little longer... I'm guessing it's an hour saved at least.

Point of note to anyone doing this, make sure you follow the correct tutorial for your year.  On the Mk3, the bottom seat just unclips with a bit of effort front and side (check you dont drag it out, as the heated seat has a connection on BOTH sides which need disconnecting)

4 x 12mm bolts at the bottom of the backrests, 3 bolts (behind the headrest covers and armrest cover when down), and they're out enough to work on.

you can also take out the belts, or remove them from the tensioner at the top if required.

I also found 10p, a screw, the back of a pin and a ladybird!

I think the post Malc mentioned yesterday was by Tim Hunter ( who used to own my silver LS400 ... ) and was in respect of replacing the front struts, but the position may be the same for the rear struts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update

After two companies letting me down with springs (neither had the stock they promised at point of payment!!!) I got some Kilen Springs from a local car shop on next day delivery.

Impatient person that I am, I've swapped out the broken spring and put it back on the old strut/shock absorber.  So far so good.  Seats to go back in tomorrow.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the UK over the past year and the first thing I notice, when I get off the ferry, is the state of the roads. They are appalling!!  I'm not surprised there are suspension problems.......just think how awful it must be for people who have to drive 'lesser' vehicles.

The other thing I notice is the rubbish - disgusting. I'm a proud Brit..........but.

.....  Brian, have you ever experienced driving around southern Italy ?  our roads and  litter problems are miniscule by comparison 

I will never overly criticise roads GB again.

Malc

Yes, Malc, but you EXPECT that in Italy. Surely we (British) can do better.

Don't you think it is a sign of a certain malaise when, instead of fixing something, we say 'Well, OK, it isn't very good.........but it's better than X,Y, or Z?' 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links