Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air con condenser and compressor ouch

Brian I know you replaced yours, I've edited my reply it wasn't very clear. I believe you're right about the safety over-ride as my A/C repairman said it would cut in if the system got really low on gas.

11 hours ago, harrylime said:

The one feauture the LS lacks, including my 400, is heat insulating glass. Mercedes had it in the 80s and 90s and it should have been standard. I could not live without aircon and have spent quite a bit replacing seals, pipework etc to keep mine working. If I were in the position of not being able to afford a fix, I would have to sell the car, although I would investigate the possibility of heat reducing film for the windows first

You and me both.  The idea of not having air con is unthinkable now that I've been spoiled for many years.  I've been looking after someone's car while they're away for several weeks and today I took it for a run to keep it charged...no air con, certainly made me appreciate having it!

I could live without it because at the moment it's not our only car. But when we sell the family volvo to buy my wife her new driving instructor car it will be. 

I'm torn between getting all the bits done or just moving it on. 

I'm not worried about having a go at changing the condenser as I'm used to bolts snapping .my project car is a mk1 mx5

4 hours ago, Chasdad said:

I could live without it because at the moment it's not our only car. But when we sell the family volvo to buy my wife her new driving instructor car it will be. 

I'm torn between getting all the bits done or just moving it on. 

I'm not worried about having a go at changing the condenser as I'm used to bolts snapping .my project car is a mk1 mx5

I would do it if mine needed a new one, the bolts may not even break.  If you sell it on and get another you may end up with bigger problems.

Hi all.I now have an oven on wheels as during the 3/4 days of summer we have I have no air con  !Had a guy from AC4 cars look at it and said that there was gas in the system but the compressor was not cutting in.Need to check whether an electrical or mechanical fault.I had the rad and condenser replaced 2 years ago.Any ideas? Thx in advance

I seem to recall reading a post that said tht if the compressor is not working, it is indicated in the display somehow? Sorry I can't be more specific, my memory is not what it was

• Like 1

Have you made sure its not the 'O' ring joints that are leaking. As you can see they get in a right mess after a few years,

ACUnion001_2.jpg

LS400006.jpg

Getting the bolts out calls for the patience of a saint !!!  Not only will the threads be tight but the shank of the bolt will also be "welded" to the union,  Dissimilar metals cause an electrolytic reaction. When the system is regassed the Techie will/should vacuum and purge out all moisture as this would freeze and cause blockages, add the correct amount of refrigerant, lube and ultra violet dye as part of the service .