Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After owning my GS450h for less than a week I have noticed that two of my shock absorbers are leaking, one front and one rear.

If I change the shocks for something aftermarket making the AVS redundant does it cause warning messages or any other problems?

I would prefer the OEM option (I think) so any advice on either option would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

If this was a car dealer sale I would be looking at them for repairs at their cost given the short time you say you have had the car, if bought privately you now have the costs of repair.

Any mention of this on the MOT history check in the advisories section?

Personally I would stick to OEM replacements but be prepared for a shock (pun intended) when they give you the prices at around £280.00 each, they may do all 4 for a grand. 

• Like 3

I'm waiting for the dealer to decide how much money they will return to me. It was M.O.T'd last week with no advisories yet I received the car with both rear tyres worn down to the markers, one front tyre with a badly torn side wall and of course the leaking shocks, none of these issues were cited at the M.O.T. Apparently my car came with a standard 3 month warranty so they're attaching the suspension problem to the warranty (£500 maximum claim) but for now they're saying they'll contribute to 3 new tyres.

A local independent garage has the car and has documented the faults and next week I'm booked in at Lexus for its due 100k service so I'll have two separate evaluations and quotes for the work needed, I imagine once they see those along with photos they'll take me a bit more seriously, I'm still very suspect though about the M.O.T not giving the advisories.

Also Lexus looked at the history and told me that apart from a recall the car has not had any replacement parts or repairs with them and the history with them couldn't be any better, the previous M.O.T's only ever mention worn tyres as advisories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2016 at 10:42 AM, Drb80 said:

I'm waiting for the dealer to decide how much money they will return to me. It was M.O.T'd last week with no advisories yet I received the car with both rear tyres worn down to the markers, one front tyre with a badly torn side wall and of course the leaking shocks, none of these issues were cited at the M.O.T. Apparently my car came with a standard 3 month warranty so they're attaching the suspension problem to the warranty (£500 maximum claim) but for now they're saying they'll contribute to 3 new tyres.

A local independent garage has the car and has documented the faults and next week I'm booked in at Lexus for its due 100k service so I'll have two separate evaluations and quotes for the work needed, I imagine once they see those along with photos they'll take me a bit more seriously, I'm still very suspect though about the M.O.T not giving the advisories.

Also Lexus looked at the history and told me that apart from a recall the car has not had any replacement parts or repairs with them and the history with them couldn't be any better, the previous M.O.T's only ever mention worn tyres as advisories.

I'm not sure (?) the dealer had head straight to the warranty - and its limit - surely it's up to them to fix it regardless?

Or am I being naive?!

They are not actually too tricky to replace for a mechanic on a two post ramp, the electric adjusters sit on top of the stem (behind the hybrid Battery panel) there is nothing tricky here a simple bayonet fitting - push & twist & they are off also just as easy to refit as long as you make sure the drive spindle locates in the inner stem spindle properly which is pretty obvious - check the condition of the drop links if they are badly worn now is the time to replace them.

Part numbers can be identified with your vin number from your V5/C at toyodiy.com

Parts can be sourced at dealers or places like amayama or partsouq - there are probably other places out there too. hope this info helps other members too. 

• Like 1

Just now, hybridbatterysolutions said:

They are not actually too tricky to replace for a mechanic on a two post ramp, the electric adjusters sit on top of the stem (behind the hybrid battery panel) there is nothing tricky here a simple bayonet fitting - push & twist & they are off also just as easy to refit as long as you make sure the drive spindle locates in the inner stem spindle properly which is pretty obvious - check the condition of the drop links if they are badly worn now is the time to replace them.

Part numbers can be identified with your vin number from your V5/C at toyodiy.com

Parts can be sourced at dealers or places like amayama or partsouq - there are probably other places out there too. hope this info helps other members too. 

Thats the rears by the way

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I need a couple of shocks, 1 front and 1 rear and I've had the following quote from Nippon autospares:

Rear are £179+vat

Front are £159+vat (please confirm which side if you wish to order)

delivery will be £12+vat with UPS

These are Genuine Lexus new parts as such carry 12 month warranty

This seems pretty good vs all other options.  Any comments?  Do you think this is right for an 07 GS450H??

11 minutes ago, cpk said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I need a couple of shocks, 1 front and 1 rear and I've had the following quote from Nippon autospares:

Rear are £179+vat

Front are £159+vat (please confirm which side if you wish to order)

delivery will be £12+vat with UPS

These are Genuine Lexus new parts as such carry 12 month warranty

This seems pretty good vs all other options.  Any comments?  Do you think this is right for an 07 GS450H??

If they are the correct parts that is an extremely good price. The cheapest I have been able to find front or rears have been £100 more than the prices quoted. The non hybrid GS shocks however are at the price levels quoted so beware that they are the correct parts. 

The difference is that the GS450H shocks are adjustable on the road. The adjustment is via a rod accessest through a hole in the top of the threaded section of the shocks. 

John.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  I did think it looked a bit too good to be true.  I will check that they are quoting on the right ones and are the adjustable on road versions!

I'd check with Lexus.  With a Lexus Owners Club discount on the parts & labour, I think they would get near that price.

Mine were £740 for the rear pair fitted, and the front shocks are cheaper so I think Lexus may be around the £650 mark all in.

They are good prices for the adjustable dampers, were the listings available online?

I see you refer to 1 damper needed replacing per axle but shouldn't dampers be replaced in pairs, across the affected axle(s).

• Like 1

Its from Nippon AutoSpares in Derby.  They do have an eBay listing but I contacted direct for the prices.  If anyone has experience of these it will be good to know!

It was the Lexus dealer who identified the shocks need replacing and then warranty rejected claim.  Dealer was only going to replace one on each axle.  I had a rear one replaced (under warranty) 8 months ago so I guess dealer/Lexus must be relaxed about not replacing in pairs...

• Like 1

The rears are very easy to fit takes me about 30 minutes on the floor with a trolley jack as no spring compressor is needed if you go about it the correct way.

The fronts take a little longer, but still do not need a compressor.

I must admit I am still dubious they are the correct items for the gen3 GS450H, but if they are that's a great price. They are charging you about £200 for fitting that is about 1 hours work in a workshop.

John.

Hi John,

My price was wrong on labour, it works out at £505, so £100 for fitting, still probably a tad steep and I'd rather use a garage I am familiar with.

I'll probably order them and have them fitted locally to save me the journey, when they arrive I can check they are the correct part - better than a 3hr round trip to find out.  I too am sceptical...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-LEXUS-GS450H-REAR-R-H-L-H-SHOCK-ABSORBER-48530-80356-/252980555678?hash=item3ae6d0ef9e:g:WGgAAOSwpONZOUCA

I contacted them after seeing the above.

21 minutes ago, cpk said:

Hi John,

My price was wrong on labour, it works out at £505, so £100 for fitting, still probably a tad steep and I'd rather use a garage I am familiar with.

I'll probably order them and have them fitted locally to save me the journey, when they arrive I can check they are the correct part - better than a 3hr round trip to find out.  I too am sceptical...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-LEXUS-GS450H-REAR-R-H-L-H-SHOCK-ABSORBER-48530-80356-/252980555678?hash=item3ae6d0ef9e:g:WGgAAOSwpONZOUCA

I contacted them after seeing the above.

They are showing the price as £263, and that is about the price they can be found at. According to the picture it looks correct.

John.

2 hours ago, cpk said:

That's good to know, I assumed the quoted price on the Lexus website was £795 each!?

No - that's £795 fitted for the pair.  It's £595 for a pair of front ones, hence me thinking it might be cheaper.  Also work joining the Lexus Owners Club to get your card just for that discount alone!

I have saved £308 over the last year using all my discounts!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cpk said:

Its from Nippon AutoSpares in Derby.  They do have an ebay listing but I contacted direct for the prices.  If anyone has experience of these it will be good to know!

It was the Lexus dealer who identified the shocks need replacing and then warranty rejected claim.  Dealer was only going to replace one on each axle.  I had a rear one replaced (under warranty) 8 months ago so I guess dealer/Lexus must be relaxed about not replacing in pairs...

I needed an UCA a few years ago, Lexus RRP was nearly £500.00, the same part from Nippon was £120.00 was genuine in original factory wrapping so yes I can vouch for them.

• Like 1