Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello From A New Lexus IS 250 Owner

Hey guys!

I just thought I'd sign up and say hey as I have just purchased a 2006 Lexus IS 250 SE-L from a Lexus dealer. I will pick it up on Saturday and can't wait! :yahoo:

The Lexus was really comfortable, fairly quick and relaxing on the test drive. Coming from a 2.2 diesel and not having owned a petrol for more than 5 years, I guess I was taken aback by the refinement of the Lexus and just how quiet it can be - although a more burbly exhaust to really hear the V6 would be great.

The Lexus dealer was absolutely fantastic and I had just a great experience even though I was buying a relatively cheap car compared to other people in the showroom, they treated me like they do each and everyone of their customers - with the utmost respect.

I will be using the car for 1 year until I can save up to purchase a V6/V8 Coupe of some sort, but the car ticks a lot of boxes for me: RWD, V6, Auto (even though I love manuals), Reliability and a One Year Lexus Warranty.

In terms of small upgrades that are relatively cheap, are there any you'd recommend? For example I usually upgrade to LED bulbs including interior, reverse, indicator, tail and brake lights. What bulb sizes do I need? I also like the look of the subtle boot lip spoiler - can you recommend where I can buy one from?

I've read that there are some recalls for the IS - can anyone point me in the right direction so I can send the list to the dealer to remedy?

Thank you and hello from a new Lexus owner :smile:

Hey! Haha. The Internet is a small world :wink3:

Yeah, the silver one. I'm happy with the deal and don't like buying cars without a dealer warranty of some sort - should provide me with worry free motoring for a year.

Lexus Sidcup are awesome to deal with.

That's awesome. Saw your post, was just looking today but wasn't in a rush to swap, have a Honda Civic myself, and the only thing that stopped me going there today was a visit from the mother in law. Glad you got it.

They have a 2007 advertised on there as well, but auto trader has it listed as a manual (didn't think you could get sel in manual). Don't suppose you looked at that one as well? Thinking of going to see it tomorrow.

Hey. Yeah I saw the manual. However, it didn't look that great to be honest. Some marks/scratches. Plus the manuals don't get rave reviews unfortunately. If I were you, wait for an auto to pop up. They are very good and are suited to the car/engine.

There are a lot of other cars on Auto Trader for around the same price with ML Audio and Sat Nav - mine has neither which is a shame.

I managed to fix my 'old car' but still went for the Lexus and glad I did.

I have LED bulbs inside the car, you can buy kits off eBay does all the interior lights. Number plate are LED i believe so are rear outer bulbs.

There are loads of spoilers on eBay roof, boot lip painted or unpainted. There is a trd one on which is a larger spoiler also. Real carbon fibre as well.

I know people who have bought the painted ones, for different model cars. And they are a brilliant finish and match for existing colour.

Red is an exception and also pearl white. Is yours the 1G1 silver really light if so same colour as mine. I just bought some Team Dynamic 1.2 in Anthrasite.

Absolutely transformed the car. Now getting 27 around town in pwr mode. Also fitted new Goodyear F1 all round quiet is an understatement.

Are your wheels scabby its a known fault with them? Crap materials i bought 4 new ones when i purchased the car. They are heavy wheels thats for sure.

Car should have had fuel pressure sensor gasket, and there is an airbag recall at the moment all free i might add. https://forms.toyota.co.uk/lexus-recall-checker. Just put your reg in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, madasahatter said:

I have led bulbs inside the car, you can buy kits off ebay does all the interior lights. Number plate are led i believe so are rear outer bulbs.

There are loads of spoilers on ebay roof, boot lip painted or unpainted. There is a trd one on which is a larger spoiler also. Real carbon fibre as well.

I know people who have bought the painted ones, for different model cars. And they are a brilliant finish and match for existing colour.

Red is an exception and also pearl white. Is yours the 1G1 silver really light if so same colour as mine. I just bought some Team Dynamic 1.2 in Anthrasite.

Absolutely transformed the car. Now getting 27 around town in pwr mode. Also fitted new Goodyear F1 all round quiet is an understatement.

Are your wheels scabby its a known fault with them? Crap materials i bought 4 new ones when i purchased the car. They are heavy wheels thats for sure.

Car should have had fuel pressure sensor gasket, and there is an airbag recall at the moment all free i might add. https://forms.toyota.co.uk/lexus-recall-checker. Just put your reg in.

Hey! Thanks for your post.

Are you able to send me a direct link to the kit your purchased / a guide to which bulb sizes - I don't want to buy the wrong LED's :smile:

The spoiler really sets the car off - my car is 'Argento Ice' aka Silver. Again, any spoiler sellers you recommend? I would want them to fit it if possible, otherwise I can always take it to a body shop.

I have way to many alloy wheels in storage so from now on I am not going to buy after-market alloys lol. Lexus will be refurbishing all four alloys as they have corroded. Hopefully they will last. The dealer will also be fitting two brand new Dunlop rear tyres to match the fronts - currently there is a random set of Chinese non-branded tyres on the rear which was a deal breaker for me. I have Pilot Sport 3's fitted on my current car and can't be using cheap tyres, especially on a RWD car.

Thanks for the recall info - the link flags up recalls but doesn't mention what. I've told Lexus I want all recalls fixed before I pick up the car.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:19 AM, madasahatter said:

I have led bulbs inside the car, you can buy kits off ebay does all the interior lights. Number plate are led i believe so are rear outer bulbs.

There are loads of spoilers on ebay roof, boot lip painted or unpainted. There is a trd one on which is a larger spoiler also. Real carbon fibre as well.

That recall checker didn't recognise my car, but this one did: https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker.json

• Like 1

Here's a link to an interior LED bulb kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS250-LED-INTERIOR-KIT-INTERIOR-LIGHTS-BULBS-LED-KIT-/260863230811?hash=item3cbca9035b:m:m6bGFK4tkJ5m4pf_mHH6yrQ

Be aware that leds in the front dome flicker when the dimming effect kicks in - can be annoying at first but you get used to it! Also, if you haven't already got them, a set of plastic trim removal levers helps to get the lights apart without marking the plastic (you can find them on eBay). And check how the front dome fits together before you start - it's not obvious. Workshop manuals also available on eBay, but you may find a guide to the front dome assembly on here or online somewhere.

• Like 1

My bulbs dont flicker at all come straight on and dim really slow. I found the rear was a bugger on my car front was easy, just dont take the hole lot out.

And yes on plastic tools a must for delicate jobs.

• Like 1

Guys thank you very much for the info and links.

I will be purchasing the interior LEDs along with an interior trim removal tool.

Is there a similar collection of LEDs for the exterior of the car? Namely the puddle lights in the door mirrors, tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights and number plate lights? I like the 5000-6000k look.

Finally, in terms of the spoiler, £150 seems expensive. Is that the one most people go for? Are there any eBay sellers that will paint and fit the boot lid spoiler for me?

There are a few relatively easy mods you can do - one is the rear boot spoiler - picture belowIMAG1365.jpg

There is another relatively easy one - front grille - picture below..

IMAG1426.jpg

You can also install the automatic wing mirror closure kit - no picture for that but its available through a forum member

The LED lights I have installed - Interior both front and back / boot and wing mirrors - picture below shows the brightness of them.

P1040255.JPG

• Like 1

Wow - looking good! I love LEDS, they are so crisp and bright. Not sure if it is camera trickery or not, but did you opt for blue LEDs?

What LED bulb fits the puddle lights (mirror?) - that's the only part I am missing.

Oh and I am still not sure where to get a painted spoiler from - I really want the eBayer to fit it for me too (if they are within 2/3 hours of my house).

Thanks!

Also, Lexus have replaced the fuel something or other as it is under recall at the moment. The air bags which are also under recall are on back order and I will need to wait a few months!!

12 minutes ago, EuroFighter said:

Wow - looking good! I love LEDS, they are so crisp and bright. Not sure if it is camera trickery or not, but did you opt for blue LEDs?

What LED bulb fits the puddle lights (mirror?) - that's the only part I am missing.

Oh and I am still not sure where to get a painted spoiler from - I really want the eBayer to fit it for me too (if they are within 2/3 hours of my house).

Thanks!

The LEDS were blue - quite bright

The spoiler I purchased from an ebayer in China and it came painted. Cant fault it, not faded or become unstuck at all. On the car now for over 2 years. If you can peel sellotape then you can fit it yourself as it is backed with 3M adhesive tape. Just make sure to clean the boot application area with an IPA slvent to ensure its clean.

Another light you could swap out are the door puddle lights - change for the lexus projectors. A bit tacky but novel idea.

Hey guys. Just a quick update - I picked the car up today. I filled her up with £55 worth of Shell's finest V-Power. I had fun with ECT PWR mode & paddle shifters:yahoo:

I'm going to order the spoiler and interior/exterior LEDs in the next few days and I'll update you guys on the mini project soon.

A couple of things that I need assistance with:

1. One touch indicators for lane change - Why doesn't the Lexus have them? I'm so used to this feature whereby a small flick of the indicator stalk indicates 3-4 times to signal a lane change which is very handy. Can this be programmed?

2. Xenon/HID Lights - Compared to other premium marques, the Lexus lights seem dim? What is the average lifespan of the bulbs/when do people start changing them? I know they do become dim. The Philips OEM Xenon bulbs are ~£60 each and then someone will need to fit them.

3. Lexus fitted 4 brand new tyres to the car (Dunlop) and did the tracking. Is it still worth taking the car to Wheels In Motion to check Lexus's work? Is the WIM geometry settings better?

I'm sure after some more driving tomorrow I'll have some questions. It's a very user friendly car so you learn things pretty quickly.

Hi John

Congrats on your purchase, hope you have many happy miles together :)

Q1: I'm pretty sure that this feature doesn't exist on the IS. In fact my pet hate (pretty much my only one tbh) is that the indicators don't auto-cancel as easily as I am used to on previous cars and the tick is so quiet I often find I'm driving along with my indicators flashing.

Q2: Yeah, I agree. I know some people opt for Osram Nightbreakers and similar (do a forum search). I don't know about fitting, I've not checked. How cloudy are your lenses? Mine are quite milky, so I'm thinking about getting them polished.

Q3: I believe the WIM thing is more relevant to the IS200. 

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

Q3: I believe the WIM thing is more relevant to the IS200. 

1... I though only Wauxhal had this feature .. which I hated .. Probably, German cars does as well ...  somehow not missing it... 

2... I actually found Lexus light to be average, but definitely not so bad that I would be looking for replacement.. Are the lenses not oxidated?

3... All Lexus IS series (1st, 2nd and 3rd) has some negative camber and ten to wear inside of the tires, hence if you car was set to original setting it will rub inside of the tires... Hence I would say WIM is still relevant as they have custom setting which is aiming to fix inside rubbing. 

Changing headlamp bulbs is a DIY job, albeit quite fiddly. Some parts need to be removed or pushed out of the way (airbox, washer bottle filler neck) to enable better access, but it's something you could do yourself with some basic tools.

Changing the indicator bulbs is a different matter though - the bumper has to come off for that.

• Like 2