Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need to wash my car!

8 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

With warmer weather the car dries quickly is my point.  ;) 

Hmm still you shouldn't be getting any water marks. Using an open ended hose after rinsing shampoo off helps as water sheets rather than beads and then you have less to dry.

In my opinion do not clay your car until you have used a quality iron fallout remover and then tar remover   My week old IS bled purple after some Bilthamber Korrosol and was smooth as silk with a wipe over with some Bilthamber cleanser fluid before applying  the LSP.   

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Tazzman600 said:

When I used to wash my cars I'd 1st power wash the car to loosen dirt. I'd then use the foamed attachment and spray foam over the entire car. I'd leave it for a good few mins then power wash off. I never used the 2 bucket method. I used one bucket with an alkali wash (others would strip the wax and some even the laquer) with a microfiber hand mit. I'd wash in One direction only and in a straight line. I'd finish with a rinse then use a wax polish. 

For the past year I've used the hand car wash places. They do a fabulous job but when I get home I use Greased Lightning waterless wash as a Polish as it has a quantity of carnauba wax which is the best. It's quick and easy and great results. 

I'm a little disappointed that my new car has a number of swirls. Looks like I'll be using my Meguires Ultimate Compound to rid my car of the swirls then polish it after.

The reason I use the hand car wash places is because their washers are vastly more powerful than diy ones.

There is a skill in washing a car. Shame is most don't have it and cause swirls and hazes. 

Think the waterless approach will struggle on a really dirty car,  I am getting more driving in lately with an hour or so every other day and accumulating quite a bit of break dust and glued on buy splatter on the windscreen.  All that said I have ordered another bottle of the stuff from amazon with Prime and have maybe half a car's worth left in my 2nd bottle so will be seeing how well it does in a couple of days when I get some time.   Might wash the wheels though instead of using the waterless stufff. 

8 minutes ago, Tazzman600 said:

The close up camera shots didn't show any scratches or swirls.

Because it is a TV advert for the product:wallbash:

9 minutes ago, Tazzman600 said:

Detailers hate it. I wonder why. 

Detailers actually love it as it gives them loads of correction work.

If you are ultra careful and use a micro fibre cloth for only one pass you may get away with it. Lexus paint is notoriously soft though.

Ed:winkiss:

16 minutes ago, Tazzman600 said:

Ford too has soft paint but deary me the greased lightning didn't ruin it in anyway what so ever but make the Deep Impact Blue sparkle and shine and get many complimentary comments. 

Ford is in the middle of the range, Lexus is on the soft side. 

1 hour ago, Tazzman600 said:

Ford too has soft paint but deary me the greased lightning didn't ruin it in anyway what so ever but make the Deep Impact Blue sparkle and shine and get many complimentary comments. 

Each to their own at the end of the day.

Oh. The reason why the close up tv shots didn't show scratches etc is because there wasn't any scratches. 

No it's because the car is corrected with a true polish before pictured with a camera. 

Don't believe all the hype. If I told you that leather cleaners are not much different to all purpose cleaners would you believe me? 

No because you've been brainwashed into thinking leather is some kind of super delicate material (which it isn't when it's coated) 

37 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

It's pretty unanimous that it works so all good to keep using it I say :) 

Translation of the thread = wash the car before using.....

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Wow, 62 replies on cleaning a car, can't wait for the tsunami of responses when I have a real problem!

They'll be more on this topic I guarantee it.  Goes to show how much thought goes in to owning a car or is it just us Lexus owners?? 

• Like 1

Not just Lexus owners, they're pretty anal about detailing on the Range Rover sport forum too. Even starting their own topic on it.
 I've ended up with a garage full of shampoos, waxes, cleansers, polishes and sealants etc, I've got 3 DA machines and still looking at new ones that come out. It can become quite addictive.

And expensive :wallbash:

54 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

They'll be more on this topic I guarantee it.  Goes to show how much thought goes in to owning a car or is it just us Lexus owners?? 

I'm starting to feel short changed, even guilty now after only washing and drying mine this week!  Actually, where we live the water is dreadful, if it has the chance to even sit on the car for more than a few seconds there are marks all over it.  I'm told it's got a lot to do with the heavy chalk deposits in the south downs where most of our water comes from.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I'm starting to feel short changed, even guilty now after only washing and drying mine this week!  Actually, where we live the water is dreadful, if it has the chance to even sit on the car for more than a few seconds there are marks all over it.  I'm told it's got a lot to do with the heavy chalk deposits in the south downs where most of our water comes from.

Give the waterless spray a go on a section of the car perhaps?   I noticed in my Lexus dealer they have what looked like a similar product for only £4.99 so might have to look in to that too.

3 hours ago, The-Acre said:

.... Actually, where we live the water is dreadful, if it has the chance to even sit on the car for more than a few seconds there are marks all over it.  I'm told it's got a lot to do with the heavy chalk deposits ....

Phil:  Try and get hold of the Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine mentioned in my post of 24 July, the problem you are having sounding similar to the one it solved for me.

13 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Phil:  Try and get hold of the Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine mentioned in my post of 24 July, the problem you are having sounding similar to the one it solved for me

Thanks gents for the suggestions, I'll give both products a go.  It's always difficult with a dark car in a hard water area. As soon as the weather cools I'll really put some effort into it as the paintwork is nice and has a very deep rich colour when polished well, people are usually amazed considering it's age.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Thanks gents for the suggestions, I'll give both products a go.  It's always difficult with a dark car in a hard water area. As soon as the weather cools I'll really put some effort into it as the paintwork is nice and has a very deep rich colour when polished well, people are usually amazed considering it's age.

Phil, is there not some kind of filter system that you can fit on your hose, similar to the filters they use for household use..

41 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

Phil, is there not some kind of filter system that you can fit on your hose, similar to the filters they use for household use..

I've not looked into that, I'm not aware of any product on the market.

9 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I've not looked into that, I'm not aware of any product on the market.

Here is a listing for a filter, a bit steep cost wise and I don't know how long they last. They also have a good range of other cleaning/protection products.

52 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=Water+filter

Here is a listing for a filter, a bit steep cost wise and I don't know how long they last. They also have a good range of other cleaning/protection products.

Excellent, thank you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links