Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SatNav map updates

I recently contacted Lexus regarding the map updates and costs of same.  I received their reply today.

yer tis........

Customer Relations ref: CASE0587097

Dear Geoff

Thank you for your recent email regarding Lexus Map Updates, and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

As I know you are aware, you are not the only customer to have requested UK only Map Updates as being a more economical option.  Your suggestion has been passed to our colleagues in Europe.

I cannot confirm whether this idea will be adopted but can assure you that we value your feed back and always consider our customers suggestions.

I do hope that the current arrangements do not deter you from continuing to support Lexus. 

Kind regards

Jenny Shipley
 Customer Relations Case Manager
Toyota (GB) PLC - Lexus Division
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

In the old days (year 2000), when I had my first is200, the sat nav maps were on discs. Lexus used to allow you to request a loan of the latest map for a period of a month or two free of charge (Just postage required) in case you were travelling.

How times move on 

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this discussion on satnav map updates.  I have an old Garmin 660 and this morning i went on to the 'Active GPS' website and they do a massive range of map updates for a multitude of satnav units.

Interestingly they offer things like UK only, France, Spain etc. and all at the very realistic price of £34.84.  How good is that then eh!  Why can't Lexus do something similar instead of trying to rip us all off with their very UNREALISTIC prices.  I'm convinced that they would sell more updates if they changed their stance.

I have (hopefully) attached an image of what I have found.

Garmin Map updates.PNG

The prices are realistic since it's a business standard. Apparently they still sell enough updates. Almost all car brands have the same price range, it's as if they all sat together and came to an agreement. Maybe the card suppliers rip them off in turn?

In this day and age, especially in premium priced cars, they should have free online map updates. No matter what product you buy, the huge margins are in the accessories though, so the high price is not surprising.

7 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Further to this discussion on satnav map updates.  I have an old Garmin 660 and this morning i went on to the 'Active GPS' website and they do a massive range of map updates for a multitude of satnav units.

Interestingly they offer things like UK only, France, Spain etc. and all at the very realistic price of £34.84.  How good is that then eh!  Why can't Lexus do something similar instead of trying to rip us all off with their very UNREALISTIC prices.  I'm convinced that they would sell more updates if they changed their stance.

I have (hopefully) attached an image of what I have found.

Garmin Map updates.PNG

Agreed, they just need an online map updating service which is reasonably priced.

TomTom maps are also £35 if you have an old unit and new ones usually have lifetime map updates free

Lexus need something like £50 for one and £100 for 3 or something, not £250 for just one!!

Toyota charge £100 for their map updates - which is exactly the same thing. I guess they feel Lexus owners can afford a 50% premium.

Toyota also provide 3 years of free maps on their top grade vehicles. You just download and apply via USB memory stick.

The old loan system was on the old CD based Nav systems which couldn't hold all of Europe. As the DVD systems come with multiple countries this isn't needed anymore. It was never a way to obtain new maps updates.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my old IS250 to a 3 yr old 300h with Satnav, which is a 3 yr old version. I agree with the comment that on a car like this the updates should be free.For me it is not so much the maps as the cameras, which I am told are changing weekly. Lexus seem to update once a year? It is a shame to have to stick a satnav in a car with a built in system.

Toyota has updates twice a year, so I assume Lexus has the same. You shouldn't be too worried about updates though. My Prius has cards from 2010 and it's still very accurate. I've been to France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg, apart from some new roads not being present, I always arrived at my destination. I'm going to update it when I go to the dealer next month, but updating every 2-3 years should be more than enough.

4 hours ago, Iseyrider said:

My concern is the speed cameras need updating and I don't want to clutter up the car with another gadget,but the cost from Lexus is unreasonable. 

I dont know why you'd need to know where speed cameras are? Surely just drive at the speed limit or look out for them?!

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I dont know why you'd need to know where speed cameras are? Surely just drive at the speed limit or look out for them?!

Majority of the cameras will always be just a cases. only about 20% ever are armed at any given time, so I agree having them on satnav is just waste of effort. If one doesn't speed by much - 10-20mph it is not hard to see cameras and slow down. I generally agree that knowing locations on satnav is little help, if you want to avoid fine you need to keep an eye on the road and keep to the reasonable speed.

I used waze app which has live information and community driven reporting.. but even then you cannot rely on in for the speed cameras. Good example is average speed cameras... where it doesn't matter that you slowdown just before the camera if you were speeding all along, yet they displayed same way as any other cameras.

Personally I feel most speed cameras are only there to catch the unobservant/careless, anyone who cannot spot a camera, is not observant enough to be driving over the speed limit anyway, and so should get a ticket.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wh05apk said:

Personally I feel most speed cameras are only there to catch the unobservant/careless, anyone who cannot spot a camera, is not observant enough to be driving over the speed limit anyway, and so should get a ticket.

That is very well put. Equally, anyone driving so fast that they are not able to slow down enough to the posted limits are careless and equally should get ticket.

Speed cameras are not always sited in reasonable places. If the ideal world scenario, set out in some of the previous observations, was the position there would be no need for enforcement. It is not. Camera information is provided on Satnav systems with updates at very frequent intervals. All I am suggesting is that Lexus do the same.

And this is exactly why my next car must support Android Auto.   Manufacturers should just give up.  Lets face it, the Lexus Satnav is awful.  It looks so dated as it is.

Personally I use my premium Nav in the morning when I don't care when I get to work, but coming home I simply use TomTom on my mobile because I need accurate traffic.  The Lexus traffic isn't the most reliable out there.

The fact Lexus still state they have no intention of even looking at either Android or apple car integration pretty well knocks them off my list and I start looking at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, wh05apk said:

I have no problems with traffic info, which seems to be pretty accurate, even without using connected services, which seems to be more accurate still.

Still a country mile off TomTom live though imho, still too many phantom events with Lexus for me, and they are too slow to catch up when it starts moving again.  And I just find it all so clunky too.

Still no info on when the next update is due. I am amazed Tazzman600 was quoted £400 for an SD card! 

I found this website 360.here.com which claims to update for many car manufacturers inc Toyota (not Lexus?) through Mapcare. The update is carried when a service is carried out as part of the service. Something for Lexus to consider?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blisteringblue said:

Still a country mile off TomTom live though imho, still too many phantom events with Lexus for me, and they are too slow to catch up when it starts moving again.  And I just find it all so clunky too.

You might be in luck. Lexus have teamed up with Scout GPS link in the US for 2017 models. It's an app on your phone which is a nav system and it can be used with the car essentially giving you another option.  Seems to have some interesting features too