Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SatNav map updates

9 minutes ago, 200h said:

lexus customers will largely be company owned cars so the cost of updates wont be an issue 

i think this is what John (roy) is meaning with his statement " probably not owning their own cars or paying for their fuel "

it has nothing to do with the age of a car

Mark,

Can I interject?  I'm one of these "company car owners" admittedly John, we are flexible with the spec of car we desire (within the constraints) however all the leased vehicles I have had the company for won't put their hands in their pockets for washer additive (anti-freeze) during the winter months, never mind map updates!

So it appears that we can conclude that if purchasing or leasing a Lexus, save a few grand and bluetak your smart phone to your audio display screen and save yourself some cash.

Thanks for your clarification John.

I am a company car driver, but my Lexus is a standard spec. satnav.  If it was my own car I would be doubly annoyed having taken possession of the car in June 2016 to learn in January 2017 that there's an update for the maps that I have to pay £230 for.  I take the point about city streets don't change much/at all, but here in Scotland there are major road constructions being undertaken and it would be very handy to know where the new junctions lead to and if they reduce journey times, etc.  My company will not pay for map updates.

On your second point I do pay for all fuel used for non-business purposes and of course I'm taxed for use of the car (BIK).  Thankfully, at this point in time, it's less for hybrid vehicles, but I believe the government is going to reduce the difference in BIK between different types of vehicles.

Cheers

David

12 minutes ago, duncand said:

Thanks for your clarification John.

I am a company car driver, but my Lexus is a standard spec. satnav.  If it was my own car I would be doubly annoyed having taken possession of the car in June 2016 to learn in January 2017 that there's an update for the maps that I have to pay £230 for.  I take the point about city streets don't change much/at all, but here in Scotland there are major road constructions being undertaken and it would be very handy to know where the new junctions lead to and if they reduce journey times, etc.  My company will not pay for map updates.

On your second point I do pay for all fuel used for non-business purposes and of course I'm taxed for use of the car (BIK).  Thankfully, at this point in time, it's less for hybrid vehicles, but I believe the government is going to reduce the difference in BIK between different types of vehicles.

Cheers

David

Thanks David, I understand and accept all that you say.

I administered our fleet before I retired over 11 years ago. I purchased my Company Car (Merc Estate) when I retired.It had 60,000 miles on the clock and I had driven them

all, so I had confidence in it. It is now 14 years old and has covered 215,000 miles. It takes me to and from Spain twice yearly using a variety of routes and still has its first generation sat nav  system.I have never updated the system for any reason and I use my brain when I am faced with newly constructed roads or active roadworks.

We have a daughter who lives in Leuchars in Fife and rather than face the chaos that seems to be around Glasgow these days, we go through Biggar, Edinburgh and the Forth Road Bridge.

My understanding is that sat nav updates these days are usually 18/24 months behind the times anyway and are poor value for money.. 

Good luck with the IS300h, which I understand is a fine car and ideal from a B.I.K. perspective due to its low co2 output.

Regards

John

Hi mel

sorry to hear that you have to buy your own windscreen washer fluid for the winter months, times must be tough for you with this outlay

but i would swap your car outgoings for mine when i have to pay for :-

monthly payments,servicing,road tax,insurance and windscreen washer fluid for all 4 seasons of the year.

8 minutes ago, 200h said:

Hi mel

sorry to hear that you have to buy your own windscreen washer fluid for the winter months, times must be tough for you with this outlay

but i would swap your car outgoings for mine when i have to pay for :-

monthly payments,servicing,road tax,insurance and windscreen washer fluid for all 4 seasons of the year.

PMSL Mark ! I wasn't complaining I was trying to make a point that generally map updates in my opinion are going to be purchased by people who use their vehicle regularly on new routes, rather than based on the type of ownership. But thanks for making me smile with your witty response

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a non-premium Nav 66 plate IS with the following:

Map version: 02-36-00

Software Version: VC18101B

Then in another part I have:

Model ID: 13LHDAEU-CC03

LE.40.35

Gracenote Ver 05377

From what I'm reading it seems I need to visit a dealer to get all this updated to the latest version. Is this strictly true? All options seem to have an "Update from USB" option   

I have no problems buying whatever I need from eBay or whatever. Car is only 4 months old and from this thread the map is out of date already. I'm a tech guy so have no issues playing around but I just don't see why it needs a dealer to do things. I have an account on Lexus-tech but without TSB numbers I'm guessing as to what is needed.

im just one of those fellas that likes to keep his firmware up to date as possible  

When I got my RX450h Premier in September it was fitted with  02-36-00 maps. These are dated  October 2015. This month (after I discovered inaccuracies) I have complained to the dealer about selling me such out of date maps and - thus far - have been told that these are the latest. Not too good for such an expensive car is it?

No, it came with the old maps when I picked it up from the dealer brand new :(

I just want to be able to update the maps myself. Happy to buy the maps from eBay, just not sure what the dealer does that the average tech can't do. 

Non premium nav doesn't have sd card but seems to allow map update via USB. Just not sure how

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All - 

I have installed today the latest version of the maps from 2016. No problem with the installation but I noticed today after my first drive following the updates only 2 out of 10 speed cameras were beeped. I drive in London and I was hoping that the 2016 version will be better than my old 2014 version. Did anyone experience similar problems?

Many thanks

On 1/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, malcolmw said:

When I got my RX450h Premier in September it was fitted with  02-36-00 maps. These are dated  October 2015. This month (after I discovered inaccuracies) I have complained to the dealer about selling me such out of date maps and - thus far - have been told that these are the latest. Not too good for such an expensive car is it?

The release date is October 2015. Major map updates come out yearly and takes a year to collate the information. This means its actually an October 2014 map. 

In reply to Babill's post of 1st Feb.

I have the same car,same year and same problem! At first Lexus were unhelpful but eventually offered to update to latest version, which as Babill has found, is not a fix. The next step I am told is to update the software version. For cameras the system is unreliable which makes it useless when used in unfamiliar areas. This thread has highlighted the failings of the system and the updating schedule, but are Toyota/Lexus taking notice? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links