Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel 95 or 97 unleaded

Ok so the petrol lid says Premium unleaded fuel only.  

Initially when filing up I have been putting in 97 unleaded fuel.  This is about 10p per litre more expensive.

I spoke to my local Lexus dealer and they said I could put 95 unleaded in too.  What exactly is the difference and am I likely to cause any damage to the engine

short or long term by occasionally using 95?

Thanks

You can use 95 all the time. Premium unleaded refers to the US which is equivalent to uk 95 octane.

Super unleaded (97 UK) has additives but no point using it. It may gain mpg but may not and never enough to warrant the cost.

It's like diprobase and olay. Both do the same job, actually diprobase is better 

• Like 2

During my anal brim to brim research of fuel economy, I have found that normal standard unleaded from mainstream fuel supply's, such as esso, shell etc., give the same economy as supermarket Super unleaded and that standard supermarket fuels give poorer economy.......

On 23 July 2016 at 3:36 PM, rayaans said:

You can use 95 all the time. Premium unleaded refers to the US which is equivalent to uk 95 octane.

Super unleaded (97 UK) has additives but no point using it. It may gain mpg but may not and never enough to warrant the cost.

It's like diprobase and olay. Both do the same job, actually diprobase is better 

Depends on the cost premium of the fuel I guess. it's 5p more a litre here, which equates to about £3 a tank and I'm currently getting better MPG and likely to get nearly 40-50 miles more from the current tank, so that would make it worth the extra cost. But only time will tell. I'm going to try it for 2 or 3 tanks before making a decision about which to use on a permanent basis. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 3:36 PM, rayaans said:

Thanks Doc. I am printing this and taking it home! :yahoo: