Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow & Winter Wheels/Tyres

Hi all,

Anyone running a GS and change the tyres or wheels in the winter time to snow/winter tyres?

My IS was totally useless in the winter, and I eventually sold it after 3 1/2 years, but about to buy a GS 450h and want to know it'll get me out of my street (bottom of the hill) and, with care, safely to work etc.

Anyone have experience of this?

Brian. 

I do on my gen 2 GS. Meant in the bad snow (to be fair, not needed to swap over for the last couple of years) I didn't have to abandon the car at the bottom of the hill in side streets

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Good Winter tyres will transform the car.

My LS430 drove better in deep snow in the Cairngorms with Yokohama W Drive tyres than my RX300 with all season tyres. There are a few good U Tube videos that explain and demonstrate how winter tyres are designed to work in colder conditions. They will get you uphill, allow you to steer and most importantly, will also save you from sliding downhill. Expensive but worth it if you're likely to encounter low temperatures frequently.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up some 17" 10-spoke wheels in good condition with new budget tyres for £200. My thinking was that I can change the wheels over myself when needed, but I can also get the original wheels refurbished without losing the car for a few days.

My biggest problem will be storing the spare set, but what are friends/family for? Some tyre companies will store your tyres for you, though I'm not sure how much they would charge or whether some might offer it as a complimentary service if you buy the tyres from them.

On 02/08/2016 at 0:02 AM, Diesel Do Nicely Brian said:

Had looked at a second set of wheels, but the cost (including the TPM sensors) is crazy - spending £40 every 6 months to change my tyres will be cheaper I think.

Its up to you to decide whether you really really need them. If youve been having bad snow around your area and living at the bottom of a hill doesnt help then go for the tyres.

However, in my experience, Ive found them to be faf, simply because it has only snowed maybe 1-3 days in a whole year and on those occasions I stick to the main roads with no issues. Im on All season tyres at the moment and they've faired well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links