Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Have always kept an eye on the forum over the years and once owned an is sport cross which i liked a great deal.  I've always wanted a 430 and feel that i may soon get one.

Today, after enjoying the delight that was Brodsworth Hall, I went to have a look at this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607165898299?search-target=usedcars&make=lexus&model=ls_430&radius=1500&postcode=s118sa&sort=pricedesc&page=1&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=2

It really is in stunning condition inside and out.  I didn't think i was sat in a 12 year old car, it felt almost unused.  However is it worth it?   Compared to any other 8K car of its ilk I'd say it is,

but what does anyone on here think?  I'd be very grateful for your opinions.

All the best

Nick

It is very over the top on price. It has passed 1st time every MOT it went in for and its a 1 owner car. I would seriously consider this one but the price would need to drop.

Looks like a great example, did you manage to check if everything works whilst you was looking at it?

They really are being a bit optimistic about the price though, I do prefer cream or grey leather too.

Yes it is top dollar but I think it will sell.  One owner from Montys and as I said it is in very good condition.  I rather liked the black leather and perhaps easier to keep clean with my young kids.  A low mileage 460 would be considerably more?  I see that a 460 with similar mileage is over 16K, bar the one at 10K,  I didn't check everything but if i go back i certainly will.  I think now I will need to see a higher mileage car to compare.  It's been a while since I've been in an LS but the build quality is as I'm sure many of you agree is superb.  I drove back home in my Grand Espace and realised the interior is mainly made of cardboard.  I am now imagining trips to Cornwall in a LS.  

I did my longest drive in mine yesterday. About 4hrs. Feels so safe at speed on motorways. For that money it wants to be immaculate . With a belt change too. Think grey or cream leather looks better. Makes interior seems much brighter. Know what you mean about the  wear with kids though

I bought my '04 with 82,000miles and full Lexus service history from Lexus Hull one year ago for £7000. Many would have said that was over priced but everything about it was right including the fact that the dealer had supplied the car to last owner who had it for seven years.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

It is gold with black interior which to my eye is perfect with the red wood trim. 

Do check for rust underneath especially at the back. Do not just assume because it is a Lexus there will be no rust.

Also check everything works for that sort of money and that the cam belt was renewed at 10 years. Check the air suspension cycles up and down. Why not phone Lexus Sheffield and see if their service manager will talk to you about the car.

Good luck

• Like 2

Very nice and yep I wonder how. 460 might compare? Sometimes paying top money is a very sensible step if it matches what you are buying. 

But this is not from a Lexus dealer so top dollar is not correct. Also agree this has to be triple a condition with belts done and nothing to be done one next 2 years.

fun looking though ain't it 😊

Simon

.............. it often pays to buy the best quality one can, however, tempered with reality on price is also a good idea.

If this one is good for you and you're happy with it all then just go4it

BUT don't forget that whatever the condition, if it gets written off, however small the damage, your insurers will simply look at Parker's or Glass's Guide, Auction pricing and maybe slightly adjust for better condition/mileage etc  .......  but only very slightly, and look at the cost of a full price insurance company repair .............  and then write it off possibly.

I remember when my Mk2 was written off some five years back one of the ridiculous costs to repair was two wiper arm set-ups at Lexus pricing costing @ £1000 alone

:whistling:

If you've got the spare readies and really want what seems to be an exceptional ( but 12 year old ) car, then gobuyit

Malc

Hi

I also echo what others have said it is over priced but i think given the fact that the low mileage facelift ones are far and few in between the prices will creep up - this one looks stunning and with doubt it will sell.

there is also that grey one with 77k for £8k - that one could be a better one becuase it gas radar guided cruise control - the silver one doesnt

what ever you choose - good luck - ive had mine for nearly 4 years and enjoyed every bit of it

regards

A genuine car full of history and in immaculate condition isn't always easy to come by.  If I were looking and my budget covered it I'd probably go for it, but I would try to get it for 7k and want evidence of a cam belt change. Although mine is older it's absolutely genuine and has full Lexus history and has been looked after and garaged, and that's evident in the driving.  I think you should spoil yourself!

Thanks for all your helpful reply's, I really appreciate it.  My business partner (and good friend) noted the age and the price, I didn't want to listen and felt compelled to have a look.

A 430 seems to be wrought out of rock, it was sat next to a new shape XJ and the interior in terms of build quality didn't compare.  The leather to my eye seemed of a lesser grain and I noted the inside door handles creaked a little when i pulled it shut.  Also when those TFT screens fail, how much will they cost to replace?! Of course a much more modern affair inside but then I really like the 430 interior, despite it's age. 

I have seen the 05 with radar, looks good also.  I think about now is the last time I'll get the chance to buy a decent low mileage LS.

Re insurance, yes it's an issue isn't it.  I also own a Renault Avantime, dare hardly drive it as I think the windscreen and some of the panels are probably getting irreplaceable and it can't yet I believe be put onto a classic insurance.

To me it seems a worth it and as we all know it's worth what someone will pay for it.  I feel I'm right in buying a top end 430 rather than a very used 460 and I just like the shape of the 430.  A bit old school but a little fresher than the 400.  However I've seen a couple of nice 400s in Sheffield and often see one on my commute between Matlock and Sheffield that has aged very well.

It really is good fun looking and I really want to spoil myself I really do.

I'll keep you posted.

I spoke to someone last week who previously had an identical 430 to mine. He was in a 460. He said he thought the 430 was a better car. He'd taken his to 230k miles.if you can afford it I'd go for the best 430 you can get. A tired 460 won't be cheap to maintain

22 hours ago, Avantime said:

Thanks for all your helpful reply's, I really appreciate it.  My business partner (and good friend) noted the age and the price, I didn't want to listen and felt compelled to have a look.

A 430 seems to be wrought out of rock, it was sat next to a new shape XJ and the interior in terms of build quality didn't compare.  The leather to my eye seemed of a lesser grain and I noted the inside door handles creaked a little when i pulled it shut.  Also when those TFT screens fail, how much will they cost to replace?! Of course a much more modern affair inside but then I really like the 430 interior, despite it's age. 

I have seen the 05 with radar, looks good also.  I think about now is the last time I'll get the chance to buy a decent low mileage LS.

Re insurance, yes it's an issue isn't it.  I also own a Renault Avantime, dare hardly drive it as I think the windscreen and some of the panels are probably getting irreplaceable and it can't yet I believe be put onto a classic insurance.

To me it seems a worth it and as we all know it's worth what someone will pay for it.  I feel I'm right in buying a top end 430 rather than a very used 460 and I just like the shape of the 430.  A bit old school but a little fresher than the 400.  However I've seen a couple of nice 400s in Sheffield and often see one on my commute between Matlock and Sheffield that has aged very well.

It really is good fun looking and I really want to spoil myself I really do.

I'll keep you posted.

I've commented on this recently.  A friend has a very successful Jaguar business where he repairs and services both older and very recent cars.  When he drove mine after replacing the front discs  three weeks ago he was so impressed he referred to the Jags as ++++ by comparison.