Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rust mentioned at MOT

My beloved 02 RX300 waltzed straight through its mot, with only one advisory "under vehicle corroding and petrol pipes"

They said it just needs a wire brush and waxoyl on it as its all very low level but wondered if anyone had any thoughts, comments, experience of this sort of thing and the best approach. Car has 115k on it and continues to drive like a dream!!

I had an encounter about rust on a Lexus only the other day.  I was unloading my 300h in a hotel car-park in Freiburg, Southern Germany, when

a CT200 pulled up in a nearby spot.  A lady got out and, noting that I also had a Lexus, approached me.  Without any preamble, she asked if

I had a rust problem.  Replying that I did not, she then pointed to the door-sills and wheel-arches of her own car, which, indeed, were quite

seriously spotted with rust despite the car being only two years old.   Apparently this resulted from extensive winter salting of the roads in the

the part of the Bavarian Alps where she lives.  Her specific complaint, however, regarded the fact that other brands of car owned by her friends

and neighbours were far less seriously affected.  She may be right or she may be wrong, but to judge by the extent of the rust, she certainly

had cause to be unhappy.

Keith, if indeed your RX300 is beloved, drives like a dream and you intend maximising the life of this vehicle I strongly suggest you take positive action against the rust. I would not just assume the rust has been mentioned at the whim of the MOT inspector.

I kick myself that my '95 LS400 was lost to rust last year. If I had taken action when it was 10years old it could have remained in my family for 20 years.

Get it up on a ramp at a local garage with a powerful lamp and inspect the underside yourself with an experienced mechanic for advice.

Would not use Waxoyl myself because it stinks and goes on stinking because it does not dry. Dinitrol is an alternative but there are other products for you to investigate.

What interests me about the rusting of Lexus cars is how variable it is. My 9 year old RX350 up on a ramp looked just two years old whereas my 11 year old LS430 was indeed showing rust that needed attention.

Good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links