Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ENGINE WARM UP

Compared to my BMW 320D I was surprised at the time the engine takes to warm up, even in the current warm weather. It's a long time since have owned a petrol car and I am wondering if this is 'normal' or something I should have checked out before winter ?. Could the radiator cap not be opening/closing properly. ?  

On another tack, does anyone know how to access an IS specific previous subject (title) without looking through 36+ pages ?  Thanks........Peter

You don't mention a time period. So what's "normal"?

I think you mean thermostat rather than radiator cap, haven't had a car with a radiator cap since Harold lost his eye. Look on YouTube to see how to test its operation.

As for the "On another tack", I don't understand the question. 

1 hour ago, BigChange said:

Compared to my BMW 320D I was surprised at the time the engine takes to warm up, even in the current warm weather. It's a long time since have owned a petrol car and I am wondering if this is 'normal' or something I should have checked out before winter ?. Could the radiator cap not be opening/closing properly. 

I just wonder if that has anything to do with yours being hybrid e.g. on Eco mode you might do up to 20-30 miles on batteries, hence petrol motors doesn't kick in and you obviously see it being cold - because it is not running. 

5 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I just wonder if that has anything to do with yours being hybrid e.g. on Eco mode you might do up to 20-30 miles on batteries, hence petrol motors doesn't kick in and you obviously see it being cold - because it is not running. 

The car won't do anything like 20-30 miles on the Battery alone. Max under perfect conditions is a mile ish, unless rolling down a massive hill I suppose. The hybrid Battery is principally there to support the engine not replace it. Stop start traffic sees it at its best IMO 

my car in the morning at the moment will of warmed enough to change to EV mode in 1 mile maybe 1.5 miles

and the temperature needle is very close to where it normally sits

diesels normally take longer to heat up as the fuel is burnt at a lower temperature ,maybe the BMW had an

electric heater also to provide hot air in the cabin quickly.

Thanks for the responses.  I probably do mean thermostat; always thought that the cap had something to do with it but I'm no expert as you can probably tell. My comparison was with a BMW diesel over the same distance/route. I guess the eco drive is responsible for the slow warm up.

The "other tack" referred to the difficulty of finding an existing forum topic. I was hoping to avoid starting yet another forum topic.    

Mine takes ages to get up to temperature. I assumed it was normal. It does warm up faster if you put the climate on hot in winter so guessed it was just saving fuel by not running the engine rich on start up (choke).

The water temp meter tells you nothing about how 'warmed up' the engine is. The engine performance is carefully monitored by the ECU,  ours will go into EV mode after about 1 mile of driving. At this point the engine is already 'warmed up'. 

What you want to see is the oil temp, water temp is only evidence of how much cooling the combustion engine is needing,  not how efficient its running. 

• Like 1