Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Autopilot... Almost

Just back from a 2700 mile Euro trip during which I was caught up in a two hour slow moving traffic jam between Hanover and Hamburg. With full range Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist and Steering Assist on, I was amazed to find the car would self drive, hands free, with no nag screen at up to 30 KPH.

I sat there with no hands on the steering wheel and let the car drive itself for mile after mile. the only time I had to intervene was when the car came to a full stop, I  then had to push up on the CC stalk to resume, or on the rare occasions when speed exceeded 30KPH I was beeped at and told to hold the wheel. It held the centre of the lane and took the gentle curves with no issues.

However, at normal speeds its not quite there yet. It does not hold the centre of the lane very well and tends to wander between the white lines and sometimes fights against steering wheel input. I had all the aids on most of the time but am still undecided about its usefulness at high speed. But low speed traffic jam driving is fantastic, I was sorry when the jam cleared and I had to drive the car myself.

I shot a few short videos showing the self driving and will post them to YouTube if I can work out how to transfer them from my Iphone. I have tried to attach a short video of self driving through roadworks on the way in to Hamburg. If it works I'll upload better clips.

IMG_1378.MOV

• Like 1

I don't think it's supposed to be an autonomous at high speeds. I think the lane keep assist is just to make sure you don't nod off and completely go out of lane.

I think you can get the car to move off from a standstill with the accelerator pedal rather than using the stalk 

Likewise I found these cruise features very nice once you get used to it.

you have to overtake within good distance so as not to cause the auto breaking to cut in.

i also noticed that if you don't indicate when changing lanes the car buzzed and vibrated as it thinks you are wondering out of lane unintentionally. They should fit this bit to Audi and Bmw cars as they always seem to forget indicators-lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carl911 said:

Likewise I found these cruise features very nice once you get used to it.

you have to overtake within good distance so as not to cause the auto breaking to cut in.

i also noticed that if you don't indicate when changing lanes the car buzzed and vibrated as it thinks you are wondering out of lane unintentionally. They should fit this bit to Audi and Bmw cars as they always seem to forget indicators-lol

They do! Except Audi and BMW owners turn it off lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just back from a trip through France\Spain and as expected LKA worked better on those countries empty smooth motorways. I don't know if its just that I'm getting more used to it but LKA seemed to hold the centre of the lane better on newly laid black tarmac with bright white line markings. It still wanders though and will drift out of lane.

I won't have a pano roof again. Its very nice but I have to close the blind whenever the sun shines, even in this country.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mick4545 said:

Just back from a trip through France\Spain and as expected LKA worked better on those countries empty smooth motorways. I don't know if its just that I'm getting more used to it but LKA seemed to hold the centre of the lane better on newly laid black tarmac with bright white line markings. It still wanders though and will drift out of lane.

I won't have a pano roof again. Its very nice but I have to close the blind whenever the sun shines, even in this country.

Ive never owned a car with a full pano roof before, just had them on test drives.

Whats the main issue with it? The amount of light getting in or the heat created by the rays focussing through?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links