Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real world IS-F running costs

Hi all,

Looking to trade up from my daily runner EP3 Honda Civic Type-R, and am strongly considering a Lexus as my next move. The IS-F has caught my eye, and despite the high residuals for the age and mileage, I very much like the styling and package offered with the IS-F. I have also been pointed in the direction of the GS 450h which are very interesting, but the facelift SE-L examples, while rare, seem to be commanding silly prices from Lexus dealers.

How much of a step up is running one of these, compared to something like a Civic Type-R? My average MPG is around 30/32mpg with the Type-R, and along with the normal consumables like brakes/tyres, it hasn't really cost me any expenditure. Insurance is reasonable for a 23 year old, and would also be for an IS-F surprisingly. 

From what I understand, things like brakes are expensive on the IS-F due to the brembo setup but I am a competent DIYer so fitting wouldn't be any problem. My main concern is around the fuel economy side of the IS-F, of course it's natural to drive these like they were built for from time to time, but is it unrealistic to expect one of these to be used as a daily driver, and if so, what kind of MPG/difference can I expect? My weekly mileage is probably around the 180/200 mile mark.

Is there anything to look out for regarding common problems with the IS-F; I have read that the water pump can be a weak point occasionally on these cars.

Thanks,

Josh

Welcome to the forum. If you are local there is a Bluewater meet this Saturday from 11AM. You will never see 5+ isf's in one place anywhere else 😃. Folk will be happy to let you have a poke around and they will be on various states of modification including standard.

Running costs are very good for such big cars. There is nothing really to look out for other than bubbling/corrosion on wheels, make sure all wheels are facing the correct way as they are uni directional. Each wheel fits only one corner. Minor service is 250 ish with bigger ones being 400 ish. 60k service is 700+ depending on how much shopping around you do. Brembo breaks can be had independent of Lexus so won't cost anywhere near Lexus quote.  The cars can have Lexus approved warranty for up to 10 years so you can get that and it's only 700 ish per year which is half the price of BMW or Mercedes. Tax is too bracket. I managed 34MPG on a run and averaged about 25MPG. 

Stu

Aah doesn't sound too bad really, just a bit more on the fuel and tax bill really. 

Gotta try and track down a nice example, are there any of the independents garages (what few of them there are) on AutoTrader that I should avoid - WR Cars currently have one but I have read that they are a bad firm re-opened under a different name? Shame I missed out on the one advertised by Lexus a couple of months back - was an 08 Mesa Red with around 91,000 on the clock, around the £15k mark...went within a week unless it was a misprice.

All been said really, I did front brakes (discs and pads) last weekend with all original parts for £155. Fuel I don't really think is so bad for a big motor, average 27mpg over last 10k. Servicing cost, If you intend on keeping the Lexus service history the cost is in keeping with a £55k car but not so extortionate to put you off, Lexus service plans are decent value. Overall though you get a hell of a lot of car for your money and running costs are reasonable. 

• Like 1

Wow £155 all in for the front brakes, that is good to know, as everyone has said really I think the running costs are reasonable for this type of car, I cant get above 30 mpg on a run though, probably my driving style..............

OP you will certainly not regret buying one and if you do the chances of coming across another one are extremely rare.

My average fuel is 23/25ish, early 30's on a run, servicing is as costly as you want it to be, I opted out of maindealer on my last one, 60k service was £475, I also know them personally so I know it's been done with genuine Lexus parts, not worried about "FLSH" as I don't plan to sell on.  

• 2 weeks later...

i get 23 mpg my last one got 24.4 mpg over 104,000 miles. 

i have had 3 ep3 and a dc5 the vtec sound is good. but with a nice exhaust on the isf it sounds great. but by the time it sounds very good you will be well on your way past 60mph.

1 hour ago, RcF said:

i get 23 mpg my last one got 24.4 mpg over 104,000 miles. 

i have had 3 ep3 and a dc5 the vtec sound is good. but with a nice exhaust on the isf it sounds great. but by the time it sounds very good you will be well on your way past 60mph.

Well.. I guess that is how it should be.. not like F1 sound on some cans while barely reaching 35mph in 11s.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links