Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whenever I lock my car using the remote 9 times out of 10 the car locks but the hazard lights don't flash which seems to indicate the alarm isn't set which is fine by me. However occasionally the hazard lights do flash which sets the alarm, then shortly after leaving the car the alarm starts going off on its own which is most annoying and doesn't make me popular with the neighbours!!!  My question is this, is there a way to permanently disable the alarm? I'm not bothered about it being alarmed as I don't think these cars are that desirable these days for stealing and who takes notice of car alarms anyway?!? I do want to retain the remote locking though.

As I said 9 times out of 10 the alarm doesn't set anyway but occasionally it does and that's when I have the problem.

Cheers!!!

I still get the problem from time to time. My problem is that 9 times out of ten when I lock the car the hazard lights don't flash which would indicate the alarm isn't set although the car is locked, every once in a while the hazards do flash when I lock the car then a few minutes later the alarm will set itself off. I'm getting around the problem at the moment by locking the car using the interior lock button on the drivers door then closing the door holding the external handle in the open position, this leaves the car locked but with no alarm set.

I'm not sure how old the Battery is in my car. There are no other problems though, all other electrics work fine and there is nothing metal in the centre console.

As Qamar says, check the Battery.  In fact if you're not sure how old it is it may be worth replacing anyway.  It doesn't take much in the way of reduced power to set the alarm off.

These alarms are very, very sensitive. 

...  mine is especially sensitive to heat I think. Yesterday afternoon after a good run, got home, parked-up and for about 4 x during the remainder of the day that alarm burst into life, then all settled down, as usual mode for how long ....m  well, who knows, it sure has a mind of its own :wacko:

Malc

I think I might replace the Battery just as a precaution, especially before we get into the winter months. I didn't realise how sensitive these alarms are!!! The Battery doesn't look that old but it can't do any harm to replace it.

I honestly see car alarms as a pain in the a** and I wish I could completely disable it. They are a waste of time, nobody ever takes any notice when a car alarm goes off, everybody assumes the owner has accidentally set it off or its malfunctioning. I once saw a car driving with its alarm going off, I don't know if it'd been stolen or not but it certainly wasn't enough to deter the thief if it was stolen!!

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

The alarm in the LS430 can be disarmed so I've never understood why that isn't the case with all cars, doesn't make sense.  

How do you disarm it in the LS430?

• 5 weeks later...

My LS400 Mk 1 suffered from random alarms, but I WAS getting a "door-open" indicator light in the dash. Turned out to be a faulty boot-lid switch which wasn't switching the boot courtesy light out, thus indicating boot open = alarm goes off! Its like the fridge - who knows if the light REALLY goes out . . . . .

Came back to Stansted Friday  after ten days and found Battery flat.  OK AA added their kit and car started. After a few minutes running, disconnected their unit and Car started on its own power.

Checked Battery yesterday and 12.5v so maybe a tad under power which may suggest Battery on its way out and that alarm has been enjoying itself in my absence.  Did unlock front doors on the remote, but not back doors. Barely a flicker on the instrument panel before rescue arrived.  Will monitor voltage over next few days.  PS My lights never flash and I prefer they don't. No noisy beep either, just the sound of the mechanism.  Where's my wallet!!