Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

All going well ill be getting a ls400 next week . Only problem is its only one master key. Ive seen the blanks online but do these come with the transponder. If not any ideas where to get one. Ive tried google but keep getting american lexus sites up

John

The keys are blanks and do not come with a transponder .

You will also find it difficult to get the key cut by a reputable locksmith.

As I understand it the key as to come from Lexus and be married up to your cars security codes,and it is expensive.

My first LS400 only had one key so I bought a used one with transponder from eBay for £25 (it has to be the same as your existing one) and a cheap blank for about £4 (can't remember exactly how much) and I had the blank copied from my original by a local locksmith, about £8 if I remember correctly.  I put the old transponder in the newly cut blank, went through the reprogramming routine (which took several attempts)  and all was fine.  The locksmith did say they can't guarantee the key cutting would work but it did. The main thing is you MUST have a master key. 

There are ways of getting a second key cut even if the key you have is not a master key.

I thought a key I had was a master key but it turned out not to be and Lexus Wolverhampton were unable to make a second key from it. However, they put me in touch with someone they use when they have key problems that they cannot resolve and he made me working key. It was not cheap (about £80 from memory) but it was well worth it to get a second key.

PM me if you want his details.

If you buy a used key online, make sure it's a Denso type and that it exactly matches your existing key.

Mine has a dot on the lock and triangular detent in the unlock button which is part of the transponder, inside the key case, this is the part you transfer to the new blank case and tang (I missed this and wasted money). When you order the new blank, they come in both long and short lengths, either work, but make sure you point this out to the cutter. Just the peddle dance and then you are done. (Instructions on here)

Good luck

There is a collection of keys on Ebuygum for £58, but looking closely none of these are suitable for a Mk IV The centre left is close, with a dot and boot icon, but doesn't have the triangle, so beware.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331931490830&globalID=EBAY-GB