Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300 '51 Need some advice

Ok I have used the search function but couldnt find the info im after. and i have looked in all my docs for the car and no mention so i hope people on here can help

1) what mileage should the auto box oil get changed? (im at 100,000 and no evidence it has been done before)

2) does the rear diff need regreasing/oil? never owned a rwd and know very little about them

3) has anyone had a TerraClean done on the IS300? is it worth doing?

4) does anyone know what the little blanking plate is for that is on top of the throttle body? (want to clean TB but not sure on process of removing, will search for a guide on this)

Hi Andrew. There seems to be a lot of "inspect" in some of the service schedules I've seen. In others, they recommend transmission and differential changes every 30,000 kilometres or 2 years; if that were the case I'd be changing both every 11 months! A USA schedule recommends these short intervals if used for towing, but otherwise doesn't seem to mention it. So, yes I'm confused as well! When my old girl went to Lexus (ouch) at 100,000 miles I asked for a transmission change and they said "...it had probably never been done..." before they had even got it on the ramps, so I guess as you suspect with yours, it's not a routine item other than "inspect". Seems like a good time to do it. 

At 150k, I got my local friendly mechanic to change it again, and the differential oil at the same time. Both are quite easy DIY jobs but nowadays I prefer him to do it for me(for many reasons). I think I'm right in saying all IS300 sold in the UK have an limited slip differential, so need a differential oil with an LSD additive. 100k again is probably a good time to do it, should see you right for the next 100k!

Don't know about Terraclean, but I think that is more beneficial to direct injection engines isn't it? As for the blanking plate, I will have to take the lid off mine and have a look. There is a video on YouTube of a bloke removing the throttle body on an IS and cleaning it. Lots of pipes to keep track of if you do. While you have it off the car, may be opportune time to change the plugs as well, as they are recommended for replacement at 100k.

Do you have the workshop manual for the IS?

• Like 1

Thanks Glyn for the input

The plugs were changed 5 months ago just before i got it so they should be fine. its going in soon for the aux belt to be replaced so may as well get trans/diff oils changed while its in.

have decided on a terraclean. they have a fitment that sprays the cleaning solution into the intake just before the TB. eliminating the need to remove it to clean it by hand :)

Good call on the auxiliary belt, I think; got mine done with the cambelt in October last year. Touch wood, apart from the inevitable front suspension and brakes trouble, all I've had done that wasn't routine is a new radiator core and some welding for corrosion in the sills. 

Let us know how you geton with the Terraclean, I'd be interested to know how you find it. Worth investing in some contact cleaner as well to give your MAF sensor a bit of a clean. 

i have been quoted £130, they run a special fuel through the car that removes the deposits from the engine. for an extra cost the also spray the fuel into the air intake to clean the intake etc. takes aroun an hour. lots of vids on youtube and their site that explains it better