Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Little Help Please. First Time Buyer

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure I'm about to buy a 2002 GS300 with 147500 miles and service history including belts.

Is there anything I should be specifically looking out for.

My head says there will be no issues at all as I've had Toyotas all my driving life, but some cars have specific issues so I thinks it's worth asking experienced owners.

Thanks,

James.

I bought a 1999 300 a few years ago. Liked it so much I chopped it in for a 430. Both were supposed to be run-a-rounds whilst my G Wagen was having a long refurb. Love the 430 so much it's still with us.

I suppose what I'm saying is, try a 430 before you sign the cheque.. :)

Thanks chaps. The funny fact is that Honest John say the good thing about a GS is this forum. Lol.

Nothing really to worry about on there except maybe a VERY expensive master cylinder.

James.

Well I bought it. A very long train ride up to North Yorkshire from Norwich and then an absolutely wonderful 231 mile drive home. What a car. 14 years old with 147500 miles on her and still so tight.

I already love her to bits and can't really see me getting rid for a looking time. I'll get some pictures up when I've had a chance to cut the paint back and give her a polish.

James

On 13 August 2016 at 4:35 PM, Boddney said:

Thanks chaps. The funny fact is that Honest John say the good thing about a GS is this forum. Lol.

Nothing really to worry about on there except maybe a VERY expensive master cylinder.

James.

Bloody hell someone else from norwich is looking at buying a GS300 or should i say has in your case.  I am currently in the market for one, missed out on one from Stevenage.  Once i get mine shall have to keep an eye for each other.  Saying that i did pass a nice silver GS on Earlham road on Saturday.

1 hour ago, inflames said:

Bloody hell someone else from norwich is looking at buying a GS300 or should i say has in your case.  I am currently in the market for one, missed out on one from Stevenage.  Once i get mine shall have to keep an eye for each other.  Saying that i did pass a nice silver GS on Earlham road on Saturday.

You PASSED a Gs Aaron? Please show more respect !  LOL.

REGARDS

jOHN

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Behind a broken G Wagen ????????????  LOL.

rEGARDS

jOHN

Ha, my 25+ year old G has never broken down....well, apart from the time it needed a new water pump and skim....oh, and when the heater went on fire....and when the brakes wouldn't work...and when it kept cutting out !!!!!

Seriously though, for it's age it's a cracker now that all the gremlins and previous lack of care have been sorted.

Still haven't got the TT fitted though. It was with my technie for 3 months before he finally decided he didn't have enough time. Says he'll do it October, fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

Ha, my 25+ year old G has never broken down....well, apart from the time it needed a new water pump and skim....oh, and when the heater went on fire....and when the brakes wouldn't work...and when it kept cutting out !!!!!

Seriously though, for it's age it's a cracker now that all the gremlins and previous lack of care have been sorted.

Still haven't got the TT fitted though. It was with my technie for 3 months before he finally decided he didn't have enough time. Says he'll do it October, fingers crossed.

If you`r ever short of a bob or two Ian, you could consider selling it, say ,to the British Rail Pension Fund as it could do with an appreciating asset ! ;)

My W210 (NO SIGN OF RUST) has now covered 212,000 miles in its short 13 year history.

Regards

John

31 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If you`r ever short of a bob or two Ian, you could consider selling it, say ,to the British Rail Pension Fund as it could do with an appreciating asset ! ;)

My W210 (NO SIGN OF RUST) has now covered 212,000 miles in its short 13 year history.

Regards

John

Indeed, it's probably worth a fair bit more than I paid for even after accounting for the repairs/fixes it's had. Virtually no rust either, just a wee bit on the rear offside quarter light which was suppose to get fixed at the same time as the TT was put in :(  

I'm told that by putting in the TT I may reduce it's value, seems crazy to me as these heavy machines should never have had a 3 litre engine. 5 litres should be minimum in these heavyweights.

• Like 1

I was after that one in Stevenage Aaron. But then I think thgthge whole world was when I spoke to the guy. That really was a cracker but a bit heavy on price. I think I still would have paid it though.

2 hours ago, Boddney said:

I was after that one in Stevenage Aaron. But then I think thgthge whole world was when I spoke to the guy. That really was a cracker but a bit heavy on price. I think I still would have paid it though.

It certainly seemed that way, i spoke to the dealer on the phone for half an hour Friday afternoon and arranged to go look on Saturday morning.  But someone brought it Friday night, glad he let me know before travelling.  The price was not to pay bad if the car was as good as he said it was? Some people are asking much more as you well know from your searching.  

Glad to hear you found one and loving it.