Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all - New to Lexus!

Lexi-PLURAL

Evening, gents

John from London here. I've just put a deposit down on a 2006 IS220D, I've had my eye on them for a while as they're a bit of a bargain in my opinion. It has just over 47k on the clock with a full service history, part Lexus and a very recent 32 point check over by the current owner (private trade seller, if that makes sense)

One thing I noticed on the test drive was the brake pedal isn't exactly sharp as a ninjas pocket knife, it wasn't as though I had to slam down into the last 7/8's of the travel to get it to react, but it was a bit of a surprise in comparison to my existing Focus TDi brakes, which are on the money (if a bit easily faded).

I have done my research and found that a few owners have complained about this and the master cylinder is rarely at fault, it either tends to be the slave cylinder or the ABS unit. So a couple of questions:

1. Is it easy to get at and replace the slave cylinder

2. Is there any aftermarket/alternative Lexus master cylinders that might do a better job? I was thinking an IS250 unit as I took one for a spin and the brakes were a fair bit sharper.

Just to be clear, the car does stop as required, I gave it an emergency stop to test and it came to a halt nicely, I'd just like the feel to be a bit higher up the pedal travel.

Otherwise, very impressed - it'll naturally feel like an absolute masterclass after driving a 2004 Focus diesel for a few years. All the toys are present, sat nav, heated this..cooled that..electric the other, it all worked wonderfully, so fingers crossed I've got myself a good one. The paint is in almost unbelievable condition, I actually couldn't find a note-worthy mark on it...but I doubt that'll be the case for much longer with living in London!

I'll get some pictures up once I have the car in my possession, it's a lovely dark grey number with beige leather interior and a manual...I was contemplating an automatic but thought it'd be a waste on me as I do like pelting up and down the gears when I'm out for a blast.

Welcome :smile:

I can't really comment on the brakes, but on mine there is a little bit of travel before they bite.  I actually prefer it that way though as it seems easier to modulate than the more overservo'd cars.

What spec did you get?

Having lived in London for a long time, I certainly agree that parking marks and dents are an unfortunate inevitability.

Well, if you wanted a diesel automatic IS, then you are out of luck since they didn't make any :smile:  Although the IS250 Auto is a great car by all accounts.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.  

Hi John and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch so please dont hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they dont go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.

22 hours ago, steve2006 said:

You are aware of the potential engine problems with the IS220d, not saying they have all had problems but do a search on the forums.

Oh nearly forgot....welcome to the LOC:biggrin:

I've read a fair bit about this and it all seems a bit overhyped. For the thousands of units they made and sold, it looks to be a small percentile that are affected. I've got no issue picking off the EGR valve and sticking it in an ultrasonic cleaner once a year if needed. The head gasket thing seems to be chattered about here and there (and apologies if I'm missing easily found threads) but I can't seem to find any solid info on it.

I can take out a 'cover-it-all' warranty for £300ish a year that will cover all major mechanical failings including injectors and so on, surely the car can't be THAT bad? I was very impressed on the test drive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lexi-PLURAL said:

I've read a fair bit about this and it all seems a bit overhyped. For the thousands of units they made and sold, it looks to be a small percentile that are affected. I've got no issue picking off the EGR valve and sticking it in an ultrasonic cleaner once a year if needed. The head gasket thing seems to be chattered about here and there (and apologies if I'm missing easily found threads) but I can't seem to find any solid info on it.

I can take out a 'cover-it-all' warranty for £300ish a year that will cover all major mechanical failings including injectors and so on, surely the car can't be THAT bad? I was very impressed on the test drive!

It's probably the same as hearing about the problems with air suspension, you only hear about the problem and not the many very satisfied owners. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lexi-PLURAL said:

I agree with this, and I am glad to have someone who see it the way I do. :smile:

I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner.  Although, if you are driving it in London, might I suggest 6 monthly cleanings?

As Phil has correctly pointed out, you only hear about problems on forums, not from all the happy owners.

I have had a few failures, but nothing specific to the IS, just diesels and cars in general (dual mass flywheel and rear caliper).

They may not be as good as their petrol counterparts, but overall I think the IS is a fantastic car, and very good value for money.

One thing I would recommend is the warranty; They are not cheap when they go wrong.  £300ish isn't bad, but the official one for £995 (went up recently :ranting:), is still good value when you consider it is for 2 years and includes complete AA breakdown cover, which would normally set you back £300.

Looking forward to some photos. :smile:

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

I agree with this, and I am glad to have someone who see it the way I do. :smile:

I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner.  Although, if you are driving it in London, might I suggest 6 monthly cleanings?

As Phil has correctly pointed out, you only hear about problems on forums, not from all the happy owners.

I have had a few failures, but nothing specific to the IS, just diesels and cars in general (dual mass flywheel and rear caliper).

They may not be as good as their petrol counterparts, but overall I think the IS is a fantastic car, and very good value for money.

One thing I would recommend is the warranty; They are not cheap when they go wrong.  £300ish isn't bad, but the official one for £995 (went up recently :ranting:), is still good value when you consider it is for 2 years and includes complete AA breakdown cover, which would normally set you back £300.

Looking forward to some photos. :smile:

You can pick up a small ultrasonic cleaning bath for around £25.00.

Righty, I've decided the risk vs reward is too high on the diesel, so I'm going for the V6 250. 

A few questions!

The multimedia/satnav goodies seem to be non-existent on this model, is that for a particular reason? Is there anything to look out for other than rotting exhausts?

Not having any luck finding one with the satnav for a decent price (found one but they want nine grand for it?!)

Anyway, I've been to see a decent little is250 number. 47k on the clock (approximately) with full Lexus service history bar the last service. It's got a couple of blemishes that'll buff out, the front pads need doing badly and the tyres are mismatched (I'd rather get very good rubber anyway, I'm a biker so I appreciate good sticky tyres). The exhaust is covered in rust so I'll probably get a stainless jobby from powerflow or similar (fox exhausts are available for £400ish...sound decent on youtube!). Both keys are with it...everything beeps, blows, clicks and lights up as it should....There's no sat nav (not particularly asked really) and I guess that means there's no Mark Levinson sound system, I did give the speakers a bit of a rinse and they sounded good enough to me, I'm a vinyl enthusiast at heart and did a degree in sound engineering, so I do appreciate a good sound system but this one ticked the boxes as far as I'm concerned.

They wanted £5300 but I've trimmed them down to £4500, so everything above will be covered and then some.....it's local and the guy is cool, he's a biker too so I know he's not fulla the brown stuff!

I'm going to view a black, one owner vehicle tonight just to confirm the one above is as it should be and then I reckon I'll buy it.

A good call I think going for the 250 petrol, I have had both the 220d and 250 petrol, the 220d was not particularly economical and the ridiculously high 6th gear was a pain.

I had a Mark Levinson in the 220d but not in the 250 but the system was still good to my ears!

I am on my 4th Lexus and cannot fault the cars or the backup from the dealers.

Good luck with finding what you are after.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links