Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Tape Deck doesn't draw in a Tape.

Has anyone repaired a Tape Deck on a Lexus? Is it so interwoven with the Radio that it would be a difficult job to replace just the Tape Deck?  Last time I had a brief look I think I ruled out any attempt.

I use my MP3 player with an FM Transmitter but it's not always successful abroad and I find it irritating to have the Ashtray open with FM gubbins sticking in it or extending from it.

I thought I'd change the position of the Cigar lighter to the panel with the Gear change which would tidy things, but there's no space on the earlier car to position it there. Perhaps it can be positioned on the panel with the Remote on/off switch though I've no idea if there is room.

Having added my Facia Kit I don't want to look for a replacement Radio and will stick with what I've got, but did wonder why the Tape isn't working and if there is/could be a simple solution so I can add one of those Tapes with cable to connect to the MP3.

Chances are it will be a straight forward Pioneer tape deck fitted in with the radio to blend in behind the facia.  A good car stereo/auto leccy should be able to do that or get one from someone breaking their car.  I've got a head unit from a GS 300 MK 2 so will look at that and post a picture to give you an idea (hopefully)  

Thanks for that. 

I should add something I may not have noticed before, is that when pushing the Tape Deck button nothing comes up on the screen nor does it change from CD or Radio.  I've rather assumed it would change automatically if a Tape Cassette is fed in. Is this right?

Does the word "Tape" come up on screen.

Not easy to check the button contact from memory of when I last had it out.?

If I could fathom why the Tape button isn't registering or the Tape being sucked in, I'd certainly give this thread suggestion a try.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/530037-diy-install-an-auxiliary-port-in-your-sc.html

• 9 months later...

I bought a second hand Mk 2 CD/Radio thinking I could find out why the Tape Deck in the Car  is not working. Taking the front off the unit is difficult as it has a very fine  Ribbon connected and its not the push in sort you find on a modern Computer. Can't easily fold the facia back to see how joined and have hands free. A phillips screw (may?) be all that is holding it. This said it still looks impregnable as the heavy duty back plate has parts screwed to it. and all other sides look spot welded.

An admission I've been a fool not realising why the Tapes were not being drawn in.  i hadn't pushed the Volume button to "on"  doh!  Never needed to in other Cars.  Anyway, it sucked in a tape and briefly said "tape" on the screen but then went to CD playing despite my pressing the Tape button.  So, something not working . Could there be a rubber drive belt in these units or is everything driven by cogs?  

May try this replacement unit but as it came out of a wrecked Mk 2 on eBay it could have water damage inside.  I can destroy it without worrying too much so may be the way to go to better understand how the thing operates. Prefer to hear from someone who knows?

Yes - the Car has a six CD Player in the boot and the head unit switches to CD each time I try to play a tape. Reason for needing Tape to work is to install a jack socket to be able to play an MP3 player through it.

It should be possible to play an MP3 player using a Tape Cassette which has a jack lead attached to it, but the player is not working and therfore cannot be modified successfully.

OK I know I could have replaced the complete unit with something more modern but choose not to after the wiring colour coding baffled me.. Had a Sony Xplod and harness lined up, but have since sold it.

i'll continue to use a Transmitter via the Radio but it's not as good as being hot plugged into the unit. Wavelength interference.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links