Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just got my 96 ls400 back from the exhaust shop after I had the cat flanges renewed and now I think I have the infamous egr pipe cracked, symptoms are a loud ticking sound under hard acceleration when cold but the ticking is still there but not as loud when hot, seems a bit sluggish upon acceleration. Shop was not able to properly identify the source of the leak and claimed it could be either the egr or the manifold gasket. Any thoughts as to what it may be chaps before I decide on which part to order.

Best regards

Simon.

........... there's threads on here about removing the dreaded EGR pipe with no ill effect  .........  it's not installed on many worldwide Ls400s supplied new and indeed Steve 2006 on here might have a useful view too ...........

Malc

As Malc mentioned I have a JDM version of the Lexus LS400 badged as. Toyota Celsior, in Japan there is no requirement for their cars to have an EGR system so mine doesn't have it.

They run no different and of course don't have the cracked pipe problem.

It has been suggested that worn engine and transmission mounts can cause excessive movement of the engine which results in the EGR pipe fracturing so it may be worth checking these although deleting the system may be the best option.

Tried for four hours this afternoon and no joy, the bolts on the right cat will not crack free no matter how much I swing on the breaker bar. Time to bring out the gas axe but that will have to wait for another day.

Agree with piasek :thumbup:

If I'm scheduling a job I always spray with a releasing fluid days before.

My son on the other hand turns up with his car, knowing we're going to change all four coil springs and nothing has been prepared :(