Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help please!!!! Timing belt change car wont start

thegre4tone

Hi all,

i would be greatful if you guys could help me please.

I have a lexus is200 2002 AUTO - running on lpg.....which is not starting.  A little back ground on the issue...the car was constantly misfiing previously but driveable but one day the car ran out of fuel.  Once i put fuel in it, it started, but was really shakey! I drove it for 1 mile and then turned it off.  After this the car refused to even crank.  RAC guy came out and said the timing belt had snapped and it needed towing.  I purchased a new timing belt and decided to fit it myself.  I changed the belt and as far as i know the timing belt marks were lined up correctly. Crank yellow slit on the '0' and circle on the cam pulley.  Once i put evrything back together it cranked over and very reluctantly started then died immediatly after.  Previous to the misfires, i changed the coil packs, spark plugs, injectors and also, decatted the exhaust.  Diagnosing one thing at a time, all the coil packs are working correctly and so are the spark plugs.  I have noticed that 4 cylinders 2,3,4,5 have spark but spark plugs 1, and 6 only spark once?! Then go out.  Checked the immobliser and that is all fine...I have NO engine codes at all! Crankshaft sensor Seems to work as when i remove the plug the car does not start but when plugged in , it starts then dies.... sometimes it idles for 20 seconds on one cylinder and then cuts out.  When revved, the car revs to around 2k revs but then dies with a loud backfire through the throttle body.  Another starnge thing when check compression on all cylinders, with the spark plugs are removed and the engine is cranked cylinder 3 spits out large amounts of fuel! [maybe a seperate issue]....i hope i covered everything guys i am leaning towards the wiring loom as no spark on the plugs 1,6 but we do have voltage??....please help guys i am at a total loss and many hours/money have been spent...

look forward to hearing from you guys...

many thanks

On 21 August 2016 at 1:46 AM, Shekie said:

if the timing belt snapped then you could have bent valves. 

Hi, thanks for your response.  The timing belt was fine once checked. It did not snap.  I have read on many forums that this is a safe engine.

thanks

Update.........To anyone who is having a similar issue....i had 1 broken tooth on my timing gear sprocket.  Please check this out and be careful when removing the timing pulley as you have to loosen a 10mm bolt before you yake it off!

• Like 1

Sorry I missed this post or would have replied.

I can't quite understand how a steel cam pulley got a broken tooth?

You mentioned loosening a 10mm bolt on the pulley, did you also replace the camshaft seal also then?

Has this sorted all your previous issues regarding the misfiring?

Hi Steve,

I dont understand myself how it happend (see image). I have changed the crankshaft seal not the camshaft one but this was only after finding the broken tooth.  I have read on many sites regarding the broken tooth on the timing pulley - people stating that this happens only when you remove the timing pulley to install the crank seal.

Another users post having the same issue as me....

http://my.is/forums/f115/1-6-wont-fire-after-timing-job-help-car-been-shop-1-month-491529/index2.html

regarding the misfire, I have not started it up yet as I am having difficulty lining the timing marks up.  Each time I line up the crank shaft 'yellow mark' to the '0' and the cam to the circle, when I tension up the tension pulley the crank moves a couple of teeth but the cam stays put??!! what is the best method to install the belt? how can I find the correct position if I forget how many turns I have made on the crankshaft? Any help would be appreciated.  thanks

Usman

lexus broken tooth.JPG

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Sorry I missed this post or would have replied.

I can't quite understand how a steel cam pulley got a broken tooth?

You mentioned loosening a 10mm bolt on the pulley, did you also replace the camshaft seal also then?

Has this sorted all your previous issues regarding the misfiring?

Hi Steve,

I dont understand myself how it happend (see image). I have changed the crankshaft seal not the camshaft one but this was only after finding the broken tooth.  I have read on many sites regarding the broken tooth on the timing pulley - people stating that this happens only when you remove the timing pulley to install the crank seal.

Another users post having the same issue as me....

http://my.is/forums/f115/1-6-wont-fire-after-timing-job-help-car-been-shop-1-month-491529/index2.html

regarding the misfire, I have not started it up yet as I am having difficulty lining the timing marks up.  Each time I line up the crank shaft 'yellow mark' to the '0' and the cam to the circle, when I tension up the tension pulley the crank moves a couple of teeth but the cam stays put??!! what is the best method to install the belt? how can I find the correct position if I forget how many turns I have made on the crankshaft? Any help would be appreciated.  thanks

Usman