Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie wondering about buying an independent warranty

Mary08

Hi all, just treated myself to a CT200h and would like to know if I need to buy a warranty as I bought it privately. It has done 46k and been serviced by Lexus.

I had a quote from 'Warranty Direct' for  £395 main dealer and £379 independent garage.

The reason I bought a Lexus is  because I know they rarely break and this will be the last car for me but I know service or breakdown costs will be astronomic!!! Even though I generally only do about 3k miles a year!!! 

any advice would be fantastic please.

thanks

Mary08

Hi,

Extended warranty is something you hope you won't need and will probably never use. However if it gives you piece of mind it's worth it. I would go for the main dealer one as its not much more and would give more peace of mind. How old is the car?

Paul

Is that £395 a year for main dealer from warranty direct? Thats a rip off!!

And ill tell you why......

Lexus Main dealer charge £495 for 24 months cover on the CT. This comes with 2 years free roadside assistance which normally costs £125 a year (has all the benefits i.e. personal cover, hire car, accommodation etc).

Only caveat is that you have to use Lexus servicing which, if you're going to use anyway, then Lexus Extended Warranty for the CT works out more cost effective

• Like 1

I agree with Rayaan.

Considering that the AA cover is roughly £238 for two years, the actual cost of the Lexus warranty is only £257 for two years.  That is an absolute bargain.

Yes, you have to get it serviced at the main dealer, but that isn't necessarily very expensive.  At the moment, it would cost you £195 for a minor service, and £345 for the major one.  However, next year, you car would qualify for the Essential service plan for car that are 5+ years old, so then it would be £139 and £309.

Also it might be worth finding out what this warranty covers and doesn't cover as we all know what they're like for wriggling out of any claim made.

But as said yes it's a good price. Strange though because my dealer has quoted me £195 & £445 for the above services.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Also it might be worth finding out what this warranty covers and doesn't cover as we all know what they're like for wriggling out of any claim made.

But as said yes it's a good price. Strange though because my dealer has quoted me £195 & £445 for the above services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Warranty from Warranty Direct will not cover the Hybrid Battery.

Rayanns logic is more than sound!

Regards

John

9 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Is that a 60k service they have quoted for? That one is quoted as £445, along with a 100k service for £545.

These are prices I found on the Lexus website.