Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help, my spare wheel well was full of water and despite checking the seal (ok - but iv'e put a coat of Vaseline on anyway) and stripped the lid padding, i was hoping to adjust the closure mechanism but cannot see any way of doing this. Knowing Toyota thette must be a way of adjusting his, anyone know how please.  My Ls400 (1997) drives superb and looks great so i am keen to solve this, it'sOur_Lexus_LS400_001.jpg only problem

Edward, my seal [ls400] looked fine but was letting in water.

Search this site and you find it is a common problem. I bought a length rubber seal from a supplier recommended on here that was not a Lexus product but so similar in cross section it did the job. All I can remember is the length given in the post was too short so measure yourself before ordering.

• Like 1

Had same problem with Mk2 and current MK4.

Cheapest route, pull off old seal, clean out the groove, and then fill groove with silicone, and ease back onto the boot lip.

The water getting in generally enters about where the boot latch is, but in fact appears to get up into the seal somewhere near the top of the boot, which is why you really need to take the whole strip out and clean it. 

I clean out the cr*ppy old mastic with a cloth and blunted flat head screwdriver (means you do not damage the seal when cleaning).

Takes about 60 to 90 mins, and saves a fortune.

• Like 1

Have now stripped the seal from boot, cleaned sill and seal, re-fitted seal with sealant and then smeared top of seal with silicon grease.  Leaving till Monday to set and will then wash car down to test.  Boot totally dry at moment as had boot lid open on all hot weather times.  Appreciate all comments and fingers crossed.

I suspect the rain tomorrow might give it a good test.

Usually parking with front of car facing slightly downhill is enough to test whether water comes in (as it is in your original photo)

I checked by placing a little rag under the plastic cover just by where the boot lock is and checking to see if it got damp (which it did not)

Fingers crossed for you as well

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrahamG said:

Edward, my seal [ls400] looked fine but was letting in water.

Search this site and you find it is a common problem. I bought a length rubber seal from a supplier recommended on here that was not a Lexus product but so similar in cross section it did the job. All I can remember is the length given in the post was too short so measure yourself before ordering.

What you doing with my car?

Have now used car today and in light rain and on level was dry, now put on my drive which is an incline and its raining quite fast; so we will await tomorrow and see (or feel?)  as for rear lights, yes depending on tomorrows result will check those out too.  Thanks for the many responses and tips, much appreciated.  As for same car I have personalised mine with a chrome grill from China and chrome wheel spats from America, really gave it a face lift and gets many onlookers.  Photos taken  just now, 27/08/2016 1700hrs.

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

Hi Malc,     Its a 1997 Lexus Ls400, however i have fitted a proper fold-down  Toyota emblem on bonnet,  pus the chrome bits.  Also am in contact with guy in Bosnia who produces wood veneer kits for fascias etc to see if he has any Lexus stuff.

Cheers

Edward

Parking with the car facing downhill can fllod the boot, if you look in the rear corners of the opening you will see a black plastic moulding which is part of the rear window trim. Water builds up here on both sides then overflows into the boot.

Several owners have drilled holes in the rear corners and then fitted drain pipes leading out under the car.

• Like 1