Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

downshifting during spirited driving

Guys......hoping to get peoples opinions on this topic.

Ok so im driving a manual car......heading into a 2nd gear corner in 4th gear.......heavy on brakes i heal toe to 3rd then to 2nd...lovely and smooth, not upsetting the cars balance (well maybe half the time its this dreamland smooth ;)  )

Now with the ISF and its rev matching i thought it would be smooth under the same situation.....

Heading into a 2nd gear corner in 4th gear.....heavy on brakes i click the downshift paddle once for 3rd gear.....wait for it to complete....then click downshift paddle again into 2nd gear.....

So in this situation the car is no where near achieving the smoothness i could achieve with a manual...actually its even worryingly jerky..the constant braking force im appying with my foot has changes due to engine braking caused by the downshifts.

Maybe its me being naive thinking that a computer can do a better job than me, or maybe im doing things a little wrong.

So can anyone say whether in the same situation their car would exhibit the same behavior....or is there a work around that needs to be done...

.ie change down on the way out of corner where i have noticed downshifts are smoother during acceleration. just i always got myself in the right gear before turning into the corner.

thanks in advance

I fear thet you may have bought the wrong car for your needs and one of these may on this occasion been a better choice, not Lexus I know but there are exceptions to everything :biggrin:

Unfortunately when it comes to spirited driving it has to be a manual gearbox.

When I test drove the ISF at launch we were not allowed out on our own but with a race trained driver who first demonstrated, shall we say the brown pants style.

Never got his name but he could certainly drive the thing as you want to.

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I fear thet you may have bought the wrong car for your needs and one of these may on this occasion been a better choice, not Lexus I know but there are exceptions to everything :biggrin:

Unfortunately when it comes to spirited driving it has to be a manual gearbox.

image.jpeg

I wish steve,.....having said that the picture looks like a cad model....so maybe that could be my next achievable purchase ha

Cant say I have experienced any jerkiness on down changes" when having a play", I don't find there is a massive amount of engine braking on down changes, even when I am calling for down changes at relatively high revs, nothing like you would experience with a manual gearbox.

I don't quite understand the "downshifts are smoother during acceleration" part, but yes, being in the right gear coming into the corner is a must for me.

• Like 1

May sound counterintuitive but the harder you push on the smoother the car becomes in manual, but to do this is beyond safe on the road. I find in sport manual (as you do) at anything under mid brake pressure it is jerky so I stick to sport auto. On track things are very different, sport manual is perfect but you are really pushing on and really pushing the brakes. If you want it silky smooth it has to be sport auto I'm afraid. 

I don't get this at all. I've driven mine very hard on track too. Are you changing down too early? That old adage lf the brakes slow you down, the engines speeds you up. If you're down shifting too early and thus too many revs you might lock the rear wheels.

or maybe your car isn't shifting all that well.

I've got some track footage somewhere, posted on here too.

I love heal and toe in the Elise and when you get it right its a great feeling.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links