Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

I have an annoying humming sort of noise coming from the front wheel and I suspect it is the drivers side. The noise is constantly there and can be heard in the car so I put the stereo up but it is annoying me now as I have lost the quietness.

I have the same two tyres on the axle (Dunlop Sportmax RT), I have replaced the pad, discs and calippers so dont know what else it could be. The noise is not speed related, I mean go up or down, but more noticeable at 30MPH or right after getting off the motorway which I experienced this weekend.

I have replaced the lower ball joint, which was really hard to get off my my mech and needed a lot of hammering to take it out, Could it be that my hub is damaged or the bearing needs replacing. I really want to get to the bottom of this and would appreciate any advise?

I dont know what a bad hub or bearing sounds like and are they the same thing?

Should I just buy a second hand unit and replace it to find out?

Cheers guys :)

Hi Newbie

Its more of a howling noise but constant and very noticeable in the car. It's as if the noise is like tyre noise. I have driven the car with different air psi in the tyres but no joy, hence why I am here.

I think I will give the bearing a ago.

Anyone know the part number?

Before going down that route I would expect an indie garage would be able to tell straight away if the bearing(s) have gone. Should take them a couple of minutes of time. Could it be the exhaust blowing?

• 4 years later...

It's been a long time, but did you figure it out? I have similar, seems like amplified road / tyre noise or howl coming from drivers side which seems separate from noise of all tyres and road surface don't affect it much. No rumbling. Also sometimes brake squeal like sound at parking speeds with or without brakes applied. 

I had independent garage and lexus dealer check it and found nothing, but I'm still worried, as i have 1500 mile journey ahead of me. 

1 hour ago, jaaniic said:

It's been a long time, but did you figure it out? I have similar, seems like amplified road / tyre noise or howl coming from drivers side which seems separate from noise of all tyres and road surface don't affect it much. No rumbling. Also sometimes brake squeal like sound at parking speeds with or without brakes applied. 

I had independent garage and lexus dealer check it and found nothing, but I'm still worried, as i have 1500 mile journey ahead of me. 

Hi, I did not find a definite answer to why the noise was coming and just lived with it for over four years.

However recently I had blowing noise which was quite loud and had the car on a ramp. Turned out I had three holes in the exhaust. Paid £90 to get them welded and also took the heat shields off.

Now I have no noise and also some rattling I used to get which I always thought was my brake pads is also gone so I am assuming the heat shield made the noise. It is unnecessary to have them on so taking them off made it less noisy.

Check your exhaust as also mentioned by another member as the humming could be there as was with mine.

Good Luck!

I don't think I have an issue with exhaust, noise is clearly coming from wheels and is somewhat similar if I go any speeds over 30mph, and doesn't change much if I suddenly swerve left or right. Just tried that. I really hope it's the tyres and paranoia at fault, as I too have dunlop sportmaxx. I just hope, my wheel suddenly won't fall off or lock up in the middle of my trip 😄 

There's been a thread or two about a 'noise coming from the front wheel. It's weird how noise transmits itself. Someone found it was indeed the exhaust heat shield come adrift.

58 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

There's been a thread or two about a 'noise coming from the front wheel. It's weird how noise transmits itself. Someone found it was indeed the exhaust heat shield come adrift.

Yup, that was my issue and only realised when the holes became worse over the years.

So during my trip, heat shield came loose I guess. I could hear it rattle first, following with low frequency rumble or engine blowing sound under the floor, but it happened 3 times and lasted a few seconds, and now it's back to normal??! Will take a look in a few days if there are actually holes or just heat shield made that horrid noise. It gave me scare of my life at first moment. I thought something's gone horribly wrong with the gearbox or engine, or my wheel is falling off 😄

Anyways, this is still completely different sound from my original complaints. To explain it differently, sounds like road noise from driver's side wheel is amplified in the cabin. 

I took my car to ATS for free exhaust check where they found the holes in the exhaust.

As they only do new exhaust, I took the car to independent garage and had the holes welded.

Book yourself a free exhaust check.

Good luck.

Another member had similar last week, it turned out to be the disc shield touching the disc plus sometimes stones get stuck between them.

Get the car off the ground, spin the wheels and listen for usual noises, place your hands at at the 9 and 3 position and check for any movement when pull/pushing repeat at the 12 and 6 o’clock position.

A month back I had the shield touching drivers side disc too, but when turning left only. That sounded like exactly what it was -  piece of metal scraping against the disc. I just bent it back a bit with my hand and that solved it. 

There is no movement at all, and suspension is all good according to independent garage and dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2016 at 2:16 PM, Ishaq said:

Hi All

I have an annoying humming sort of noise coming from the front wheel and I suspect it is the drivers side. The noise is constantly there and can be heard in the car so I put the stereo up but it is annoying me now as I have lost the quietness.

I have the same two tyres on the axle (Dunlop Sportmax RT), I have replaced the pad, discs and calippers so dont know what else it could be. The noise is not speed related, I mean go up or down, but more noticeable at 30MPH or right after getting off the motorway which I experienced this weekend.

I have replaced the lower ball joint, which was really hard to get off my my mech and needed a lot of hammering to take it out, Could it be that my hub is damaged or the bearing needs replacing. I really want to get to the bottom of this and would appreciate any advise?

I dont know what a bad hub or bearing sounds like and are they the same thing?

Should I just buy a second hand unit and replace it to find out?

Cheers guys :)

I've heard the same problem on my IS220D, but it disappeared, and it comes from the front o/s wheel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links