Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

......  prior words of wisdom on this forum suggests that for our aged and miles cars simple semi-synthetic is just about right.

It's usually cheaper and fully adequate, I pay about £15 for Wilko 10 / 40 per 5 litres........  I used to use 5 / 30 or whatever but find it makes no difference to the running of the car.

Malc

Magnatec 10/40 is what I use and its been in both of my LS400s although it was 15/40 in the mark 1 for 18 years.

I change the oil every two years as the mileage is only about 4k a year and although the fram filter is rated for 15k I change that as well as that is the most important part .

I never understand this debate. Oil is now so cheap at EuroCarparts that their own fully synthetic oil is SN standard as so superior to anything else for abour £20 for 5 litres (after the usual 20-30% discount) why would one scrape to save on semi-syntheitic at about £4 cheaper?
Just buy the real deal and a Bosch/Hengst/Mann filter.
A top quality oil change for £25, what is there wrong about this, given a replacement engine is £3,000?

......  but had you read the prior words on this forum ( wherever they may now be ) you may have noted that semi-synthetic is actually a better option for an aged partly worn engine. It's not just a question of spending money on a different product it's what I've actually been understanding is perhaps the better option for the car and it's continuing good running.

But hey, at the end of the day it's entirely your choice whatever one reads on the forums !:whistling:

Malc

Hi, Yes I understand what you are saying, but its not the cost of the oil, its putting the right type of oil into your pride and beauty is what matters. So there you go... Many thanks for your help...... Cheers Roy.