Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm a bit like Toad of Toad Hall in that I absolutely love cars (wife uses the word 'obsessed') so after about ten weeks of owning my most recent LS400,I thought it was time to move it on. Found a car on Autotrader that I quite liked the look of,so set off in the LS on a 30 mile trip to take a look this morning. I had done around four miles before I realised that I couldn't get rid of her,so we headed back home the long way round. The car I was going to look at was 11 years newer,an economical diesel and looked clean etc. But the LS is on LPG,so probably no gain on the economy side. The LS is extremely comfortable,quiet and raises her skirts nicely if asked and has a 'banging' sound system. I probably wouldn't get half of what she owes me either.

If only I lived somewhere I could store cars. I found a lovely Saab 9000 on Autotrader yesterday for mere pennies. I would have loved to buy her,but the LS would have to go to make room. When I win that £17 million tonight,I will buy somewhere where I can keep all these beauties. Don't care how big the house is,that's the wife's department,but it would have a huge storage area for them all with a couple of four poster lifts and a fully kitted out workshop to keep them all in fine fettle. We can but dream.

• Like 3

...  well I know I'm never going to sell my Ls400  ........  might acquire another tho' on the way to add to my irreverent collection of " odd " cars  :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

Whatever you do, don't venture to the dark side which is diesel ownership. Since I got my mk4 LS400 back in May I cannot think of another car I'd rather have. I can't really think of a way to make it any better, it really is absolutely unbelievably good. When I do eventually change it'll probably be a facelift LS430.

• Like 1

Diesel is the spawn of the devil, and from my experience the best technology for destroying the atmosphere, as well as the actual engine itself.

What you save by not having to keep tinkering with a LS more than makes up for the money spent keeping a diesel together.

Good to hear the government are looking at removing diesels, and heaven help anyone who has a DPF that is cleaned by a fuel wash into the sump (what a crazy idea that is - Mazda, and no doubt others).

The LS is a lean burn 4 litre petrol and long may it help save the planet.

• Like 2

For what were originally sort-of-sensible reasons, I've got two LS400s. Both Mk4s, with 110-120,000 miles and recent cambelt/WP/etc work. I bought one as a Plan B should the first one failed its MOT just before a big European road trip. It didn't, and its mechanical condition was much admired by the MOT tester, so Plan A is working out just fine.

So it would be very sensible to sell the second one, you'd think. But somehow, I can't - it's too good to sell. Stupid, as I can't drive both and the Other Half doesn't drive at all.

I'm just working out if I'm daft enough to do a manual conversion and perhaps a supercharger to one to make it a bit more fun... That's how bad this bl**dy addiction is. :-/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldtop said:

For what were originally sort-of-sensible reasons, I've got two LS400s. Both Mk4s, with 110-120,000 miles and recent cambelt/WP/etc work. I bought one as a Plan B should the first one failed its MOT just before a big European road trip. It didn't, and its mechanical condition was much admired by the MOT tester, so Plan A is working out just fine.

So it would be very sensible to sell the second one, you'd think. But somehow, I can't - it's too good to sell. Stupid, as I can't drive both and the Other Half doesn't drive at all.

I'm just working out if I'm daft enough to do a manual conversion and perhaps a supercharger to one to make it a bit more fun... That's how bad this bl**dy addiction is. :-/

Whatever you do, using both has to be done, as no car (not even an LS) likes to be left standing.  A supercharged version would be interesting though!

• Like 1

Manual change? What's the point? An auto will actually change faster than your hand etc.

Somewhere I have a Setright article explaining this fully......

And, really, an LS 400 is fast enough in this crowded isle.

Alternate the use to keep them running?

As to diesel; "and if you want a diesel - may your bones rot and your children disown you -" (Setright, again, in review of Citroen XM, Mk 2 'Car' Sept 94.

Alas, the LS400 box is one of the not-so-smart ones. When you drive enthusiastically, it will always change down long AFTER you would have done in a manual. Typically, on the exit of a corner for which you've just braked hard, and are now accelerating out of, causing the car to unbalance itself, lurch and ponder as it tries to catch up. Impossible to be as smooth and quick with the LS box as a manual.

Plus, it saps power and economy (less of an issue) but most importantly, if turbo/supercharging the car, it becomes the weakest link.

4 hours ago, goldtop said:

Alas, the LS400 box is one of the not-so-smart ones. When you drive enthusiastically, it will always change down long AFTER you would have done in a manual. Typically, on the exit of a corner for which you've just braked hard, and are now accelerating out of, causing the car to unbalance itself, lurch and ponder as it tries to catch up. Impossible to be as smooth and quick with the LS box as a manual.

Plus, it saps power and economy (less of an issue) but most importantly, if turbo/supercharging the car, it becomes the weakest link.

Totally agree with you on this, which is one way the LS400 stops me being so enthusiastic, which is no bad thing (until I get stuck behind Mr & Mrs Pootle-Along and Short overtaking gaps, then I wish...)

But a manual box with superchargers might make me end up in a ditch somewhere.

I'm with you Barry on having two LS400s. Both are used regularly and alternately. In the unlikely event of one of them breaking down, there is always another one available for use!!

Oh dear, I have the same problem, I have a camper van, a Mazda MX5 and a Chrysler Voyager (sorry, diesel but running a tuning box to help efficiency, and I need the carrying space)

I no longer need a car for work, so the LS400 mk4 is logically not required (The motorbike I don't mind selling, the MX5 is way more fun)

But I find I am having difficulty persuading myself to sell it......

.... hahahahah..  me too,  to a lesser extent .....  my 1994 Mazda 323f amazingly just passed it's MOT, still copious rust and growing but still ok for the MOT ...........  so what do I do with 3 every day useable cars between the two of us ?   ( none of which I can really bear to sell ) :huh:

Malc

1 minute ago, Malc said:

.... hahahahah..  me too,  to a lesser extent .....  my 1994 Mazda 323f amazingly just passed it's MOT, still copious rust and growing but still ok for the MOT ...........  so what do I do with 3 every day useable cars between the two of us ?   ( none of which I can really bear to sell ) :huh:

Malc

Maybe you could create a LS400 car pool for those of us who might need one while our ones are in for some major work.  Just choose a lock-up in the middle of UK and away you go!!!

1 minute ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Maybe you could create a LS400 car pool for those of us who might need one while our ones are in for some major work.  Just choose a lock-up in the middle of UK and away you go!!!

..............  on that basis they would never get used coz Lss' never need any major work !:yahoo:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links