Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance rip off (again-sorry)

5 hours ago, mr2lad said:

I'm very lucky then,

I'm £165 fully comp on my LS600hl ... 

That is cheap, location location....

Must be great to enjoy a peaceful life up in Scotland and vast swaythes of road to drive on unlike down in England.

I previously owned a 98 GS300 when I was 23 and it was £800 to insure. I'm now looking around for a LS400 95 model and I'm looking at nearly £1,000 to insure it with 6,000 miles and 4 years no claims! I envy the prices i'm seeing above! 

Looks like I'm going to have to shop around for insurance, just had my renewal quote for my IS250 and they want £630!, this is with 9yr NCD and 10,000 SDB annual mileage.

Apart from location, Car Insurance is very much related to age and driving experience. Being of late middle age and having many years NCB is what gives the cheapest rates as you are deemed to be a less risk-averse driver. Then of course as you reach old age, up it goes again!

• Like 1

I spent hours yesterday trawling the web for a decent insurance quote, and to my surprise ended up going back to Swinton who still charged me £348 FC for a 69 year old.

I had convinced myself that I could find a sub £300 insurance, but it was not to be.

Whatever !  It's sorted for another year now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2016 at 9:54 AM, Titch LS said:

Apart from location, Car Insurance is very much related to age and driving experience. Being of late middle age and having many years NCB is what gives the cheapest rates as you are deemed to be a less risk-averse driver. Then of course as you reach old age, up it goes again!

I passed my test, first time, on 5th June 1975 at the age of 17. My dad put me as a named driver on his fully-comp policy for his three-month-old Morris Marina Estate and it cost £10 for the 9 months of cover left to renewal. A couple of years later I got my own car and cover and although I can't remember the figure, I do remember we all commented that it was expensive, and we were told that "under-25s were always hammered - wait until after your 25th birthday and it'll come down a lot; it'll be really cheap then"

Load of rubbish!!

Since June 1975 I've driven over 700,000 miles, had one small 'at fault' accident; one 'not at fault' accident and two speeding tickets, separated by 15 years (35 in a 30 and 76 on the motorway) and my insurance has never been 'cheap' - truth be told, I might even struggle to call it reasonable, let alone cheap.

However, what really narks me more than anything is that we can no longer compare like-for-like. 'Fully comprehensive' used to mean fully comprehensive but now, "You want this? That's extra; You want that? Oh, that's extra too. But we do give you free breakdown cover and a fluffy bunny keyring".

NO!!! I want car insurance that covers my car, fully-comp that means fully comp. I do not want free travel insurance (that only gives basic cover and is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard so that I have to go and buy 'proper' travel insurance anyway) or a free voucher for wine, or free 'lost key cover' or free breakdown cover (that only gives basic cover and is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard).

Sorry, rant over - but I do feel better for it :biggrin:

• Like 3

On 9/15/2016 at 9:54 AM, Titch LS said:

Passed my test April 1974. Had a couple of minor scrapes and bumps in the next few years but little since despite being a field based IT engineer doing around 30,000 miles a year. Been driving on private insurance since 2010 and I have 8 years NCD and I now do about 10,000 miles per year. Shocked into getting alternate quotes after a renewal for over £600 landed. Now insured at just under £400 but I still think this is too much.

• Like 1