Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

clutch problem, please help

markbeama

Hi All

Hope you are well,

I would be very grateful if you could help me, please,

I own a 2000/W reg. is 200 with auto box

I paid £800 for the car, and have the car for 6 months (probably the best / fun/ 6 months driving I have ever had)

BAD NEWS

My wife was driving my car (no that wasn't the bad news) and she stopped at a T junction when she came to pull away the car would not move, the engine was running well, but it was like car was in neutral when I arrived 1 hour later I started car and it was back to normal for 200 meters and then back to "being in neutral" The AA man who towed me home said "It looks like clutch "had gone"

2 days, later I had to move car 100 yards, and it was fine again in forward and reverse,

There have been no warning signs of clutch/gearbox problems,-----  burning smells,crunching noises, struggling on hills,

Also the engine management light was on when car was "in neutral"

I have heard stories of £1500 - £2000 for clutch and gearbox work, but even though I love my little Lexus, I would not pay this on a car that is now worth £400 - £500,

As anybody got any ideas what this could be ?,

I don't want to be patronised by the half wit at the scrap yard offering me £40 for my pride and joy and then tell me he would not make anything on it then sell 1 leather/heated/electric seat for £80,

to then drive off in is 6 series Beama (sorry to go of course a bit, but they really do frustrate me).

I don't want to scrap car if it was be a small issue costing only a few hundred pound.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Regards

Mark

My Lexus.jpg

Can't offer any expert advice I'm afraid and a quick search on here and the US forums hasn't turned up much at all, suggesting that it's not a common issue.

The only suggestions I can make are to see if an OBD reader throws up any error codes or maybe to think about doing a AT fluid change.

The car looks to be in very good nick so I hope you manage to get it sorted out.

• Like 1

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply,

Some good suggestions, from my limited knowledge, it just doesn't seem like the clutch has gone,

I will change AT fluid the weekend and see how it goes,

Thanks again

Mark