Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Domestic electrical question

bluenose1940

I never cease to be amazed at the amount and variation of advice and guidance that one can get on this site and so I thought that I would ask a question on my domestic electrical setup.

I am about to redecorate the sitting room and thought it would be a good idea to move some sockets to a more accessible location and so need a little help please.

The television is in the corner on a very heavy oak corner cabinet and, at the moment the sockets are situated down behind this unit and the whole setup is quite difficult to move whenever the occasion warrants it, hence the thought to move the sockets whilst the room is in a mess!

At the moment there are three double sockets situated side by side and are all linked in to the ringmain, i.e. no spurs. My question is, shall I simply move this setup further up the wall so that they are then above the top of the oak unit but still behind the T.V. or, is there a better way of achieving what I want.

I have hopefully been able to attach an image of the setup as it is at the moment.

Many thanks for any help/guidance that may be offered.

Sockets_1.jpg

I also have the TV cabinet but only one twin socket behind it.

I use a quality 8 way surge protector to supply the TV, PVR etc which given the low current consumption of the connected appliances creates no problems.

image.jpeg

I don't think there is a 'right or wrong' answer to this one, it's just personal preference really.

We also have three double sockets just like you Geoff and we just moved them higher up the wall. We have solid floors so in our case the cables drop down from above and moving the sockets up meant that we had enough length to reterminate easily. If you have a void under the floor and your cables come up from there, you may have to get under and extend them to move them up the wall - in which case you may think the multi-way trailing socket is less hassle :biggrin:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links