Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Supply source for rear dashcam?

Just had a front facing dashcam fitted today by Halfords. Easy to do with plenty of power sources and neatly fitted. I'm looking to get a rear facing dashcam wired in and am looking for somewhere to take the power supply from without causing any interference.

We had a look and as there are no obvious power outlets, was wondering if it could be taken from the amp supply or from one of the speakers in the parcel shelf?

has anyone fitted one in the rear with any success?

I cant imagine you could use speaker wire as its not a 12v live feed, I imagine there is either an ignition or headunit controlled live to the amp however this would be a better choice.

Are you mounting the rear dashcam on top of the rear centre brake light housing or something?

Hi

What about buying a 12v cigarette adaptor that has 4 ports so you can then plug into the same source as your front cam,(extension cables can be purchased).

See on amazon "Ring RMS4 Car Four 12V Sockets Adaptor for Dash Cams, Sat Navs and more"

£11.98p

Thanks. I had the front cam hard wired to hide the cable and they have done a neat job of it. The rear I wanted to mount on top of the brake light and find a power source in the boot. Perhaps from a light or the power feed to the amp.