Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caveat for potential Lexus LS 400 owners. You have been warned !

The last of the V8, RWD US Fords (4 models) can compete IMO - but have been consigned to the history books since 2011.  In fact, driving the 1995 Crown Vic inspired me to get the LS400.  The Lexus is better built of course, but in terms of perceived refinement there wasn't much in it.

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2016 at 5:55 PM, Titch LS said:

I wanted one of those great looking Jags until I compared forums and that made me plum for an LS. Glad I did too. Nothing has actually gone wrong on the LS for the last 5 years and that's on a 16 year old car.  Still think Jags are good looking cars though.

I too wanted one of those Jags back this summer. I've had Toyotas all my driving life and in the last ten years they have always been the sensible, economic type (one of which had to have a new engine at 60,000 miles). So I decided I wanted a big luxury barge after my Corollas injectors gave up at 155,000 miles. 

I've always wanted a Jag so I went on their forum to ask about the pitfalls of owning one and not one person replied after 40 views.

Ok I thought, back to my old faithfuls, I'll try an LS. Jumped on this forum and asked the same question, only to be greeted by instant and copious amounts of advice and friendly chat on different model Lexi (I think).

In the end I went for a GS300 at a give away price of £1000 as the smaller car suited me needs best. I absolutely love it and don't think I'll ever buy a different marque ever again.

Bod

• Like 1

Having owned 5 different LS models over many years (lS400, 2x LS430 pre and post facelifts and 2x LS460) I would say not to worry about reliability problems with anyone of them. I had a slight problem with my previous LS460 with a steering rack problem (discussed on this forum few years ago) but that was partly my fault for not researching the seller. After I part exchanged the car back, the car was for sale with the same seller without any issues so I suspect it was some electrical code he was able to clear rather than the 5k job Lexus quoted me. All the cars have been a pleasure to drive and bombproof reliable. In between these cars I had a Jag XJ6 which drove great but just did'nt feel as luxurious as the Lexus so part exchanged it after 6 months for an LS430. In my view the LS460 is better than the LS430 and the LS430 is better than the LS400, overall as a car. There are individual things better about each car but as an overall package the cars have continued to get better. Before I bought my current LS460, i tested a GS250 but just couldn't get used to the difference in size, although it was more modern looking. The Lexus salesman told me that he found that in his experience LS owners find it difficult to adjust to any other car 

• Like 1

Totally agree with you, Abdallian. I've had my 460 since 2012 and, so far, it has been as reliable as my 400. The only thing I have had to pay out for is annual service, brake pads and tyres. I had my annual service done last week (at a Lexus dealership) and asked about some of the problems our American cousins seem to have - particularly the upper and lower front suspension joints. The Service Manager said they changed all 8 joints on one 600............at the 300,000 kms point. Sounds good to me.

I've never owned a 430 but, since 1997, an LS has been my main car - in daily use for everything. Like you, I think the 460 is a better overall car than the 400. And the 400 was/is fantastic.

Oops......I forgot......I did have a corrupted self-parking module programme which cost £250 to fix :)