Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Normal for engine to start when you power on?

Hi all, first post :) Just got a 2015 300h from the local main dealer.  A week in and I'm delighted with the car but just want to clarify something.

When I jump in and depress the brake pedal and push the power button the car powers on and a few seconds later the engine starts.

Is this normal?

Obviously there are no warnings or messages or anything suggesting a problem, and I do have the aircon on auto by default which I read may matter.

Once I'm driving EV mode is kicking in and lighting up when I let off the accelerator and the mode displays power going from the wheels to the batteries and from the batteries to the wheels when I'm around town, and when at lights or stationary the engine is off and the car pulls away off batteries so I've no reason to think there's an issue, but it's bugging me that the engine starts (but not enough to want to seem a tool by calling the dealer :)).

Yes its normal, the engine needs to warm up, hence why it turns on. You'll find that if its warm and you turn the car off and jump into a shop for something and come back out, it wont start up

From the 2016 RC300h handbook

"Switching to EV drive mode when the gasoline engine is cold
If the hybrid system is started while the gasoline engine is cold, the gasoline engine will
start automatically after a short period of time in order to warm up. In this case, you will
become unable to switch to EV drive mode.
After the hybrid system has started and the “READY” indicator has illuminated, press the
EV drive mode switch before the gasoline engine starts to switch to EV drive mode."

Don't know if it's the same for your '15 IS300?

Thanks all, that would make sense.  The thing that had me wondering was a chap at work has a Prius and whilst I've not driven it for a while I'm sure that it moves off entirely on Battery before the engine kicks in.

No doubt I'll have more questions as time goes by but for now I'm simply staggered at how comfortable and quiet the thing seems to be (makes you wonder what the hell a GS and LS must be like!).

• Like 1

Must admit in the morning mine doesn't always start the engine and I can pull off gently without it kicking in. Going to have to pay attention tomorrow morning now to be sure. I like the idea of a GS defo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If as soon as you start it, you hit the EV button....... And the Battery has enough charge...........and it's not tooooo cold, then it will run in EV mode up to about 30mph.......provided you don't accelerate too hard.

it is normal but annoying.

• Like 1

If as soon as you start it, you hit the EV button....... And the battery has enough charge...........and it's not tooooo cold, then it will run in EV mode up to about 30mph.......provided you don't accelerate too hard.

it is normal but annoying.

And the road is as flat as a pancake

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, DJP said:

And the road is as flat as a pancake

Forgot that one! Possibly needs the stars aligned too.....:wink:

after 2 yrs and 60k, I've come to just accept what it does, though just when you think you've figured how it will act, it will do something unexpected.

My engine starts up EVERY SINGLE TIME whilst I am still on the drive.  My wife has a Toyota Yaris hybrid and it makes no difference what the weather is, day or night, every time we/she starts it up it is always in EV mode and, if I am sat in my study and she is going out, although I can see the car, I NEVER hear it.

I think that I may have mentioned this in a previous thread but can't be sure.

• Like 1

The car starting the engine when you power on will be due to quite a few factors. Is it cold and are the wipers, heated seats, heater or A/c, heated rear window and lights on. These are a major draw and the engine is likely to power on.

Also temperature can be a factor and also what charge the Battery was at when you last parked up. Is the last part of your journey home always on Battery meaning Battery is largely depleted when you switch off.

Many many factors.

• Like 1

Simple test: once in READY mode, and before the engine kicks in, switch the fan off (this will turn off heating and aircon). You should find that the car stays (longer) in EV.

I use this technique when I want to make a quiet escape early in the morning.

20 hours ago, hybridriver said:

(makes you wonder what the hell a GS and LS must be like!).

I loved my previous IS 300h Fsport but found the suspension a bit to firm hence why I now have a GS luxury spec.

The GS is another league up from the IS in build quality quieter and more comfortable. Little extras like an auto handbrake ambient lighting in the door panels, blind spot warning all LED interior lighting are a few things I have noticed.

Ed:winkiss:

• Like 1

As someone who's almost going to buy an F-Sport (hopefully), I became a bit conflicted after I found out there was a GS300H on the market. I wasn't even aware of the model, I thought the GS had only the 450H which is way over budget, until I saw one at the dealers when test driving an IS300H F-sport (firm but doable). Sadly I didn't have enough time to look at the GS300H properly, so I took a very brief look. Since there wasn't any price difference between similarly spec'd F-sport models (the IS did have ML though) and since I was under the impression the GS is the big brother, I am now a bit confused why I'd choose the IS over the GS at the same price level. Based on the assumption that the GS300H is the better car (better materials? better finishing? huge screen?) the only thing the IS300H F-sport going for it seems to be the LFA dash and the more pronounced design.

Can anyone comment about this? I can't really find any proper comparisons between the two. I am talking about the F-sport models in particular. A link to a side-by-side pros and cons for the two should be enough.

• Like 1

The 300H GS will be slightly slower, slight less economical, and I suspect not quite as easy to throw around a B road. But otherwise its the better car, you get alot more for your cash. 

I wanted my wife to get the GS instead of the IS initially but she thought the GS was too big for her, so that was the end of that idea :). 

• Like 1

This has gone a bit off topic but, the GS is a different character of car to the IS. As previously mentioned it's bigger, ever so slightly slower, slightly less economical (it's even heavier) , less practical (no drop down rear seats and the boot whilst same volume is wide, deep and shallow in GS due to Battery placement behind rear seats), arguably better built and finished, with some spec differences/improvements around lights, Infotainment and seats. 

You really need to drive one to appreciate the difference in how it feels. I had the same choice when I picked my IS. I drove the GS first and liked the GS, but it was a much bigger feeling car,  with compromises in practicality  and cost for me,  so I went IS. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer Steve. From my quick look at the dealer both cars looked to be the same size, very hard to judge sizes unless the cars are side by side. I've read up on the GS300H, it seems to be the GS450H body with the IS300H engine. I guess I'll have to plan another test drive, now with the GS300H.

The new IS face-lift model won't be an option sadly since I'm in the market for a used car.

The weight is almost the same btw. Fsport to Fsport, it's 1700KG vs. 1710KG  nevermind, I had an idiot moment. It's apparently 1595 vs 1710, quite a difference.

By the figures in the brochure there isn't a lot in it dimensionally, but the GS definitely feels the bigger car. Only you can decide if that is what you like/want/need. As you say, you need to test drive to be sure. Ask for a 24hr test drive, not just a run round the block. 

Very interesting as the GS I was always lead to believe to be quite a bit bigger but I haven't really studied it properly.  If indeed the GS300H is better built or better kitted than the IS I am interested as my next car when the 3 years is up on mine (in 2 years 10months).   I feel the IS F-Sport drives very well and firm but not unconformable.

19 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

Very interesting as the GS I was always lead to believe to be quite a bit bigger but I haven't really studied it properly.  If indeed the GS300H is better built or better kitted than the IS I am interested as my next car when the 3 years is up on mine (in 2 years 10months).   I feel the IS F-Sport drives very well and firm but not unconformable.

Ive not found the F-Sport uncomfortable either - rides better than my RX F-Sport anyway.

Id pass the 300h on the GS though, too small for the car. The 450h is where its at and with that incredible rear wheel steering its insane! Goes around corners better than an IS TBH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links