Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stolen RX450 Sport

On 23/06/2017 at 7:15 PM, Chosen One said:

I've fitted a tracker to my RX400h and one of its features is that I can track the movement of the car and more importantly immobilise the engine by sending a text from my mobile.  Best money ever spent.

Which tracker did you get?

It is the TK103B from amazon for £29.59 here is the link to Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DEZU6FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   It's easy enough to fit, obviously I'm not say saying where mine is located, but I know it will never be found.  There is a web link they provide that enables you to locate the movements of the car (and its history).  You insert a SIM card into the tracker (I used Giffgaff)  and then with your mobile send a text to the tracker and it will reply, there are many instructions you can send with this method. I leave my car at the Meet & Great parking when on holiday and wondered where they parked it, (is it really in a secure place) and yes it is as I monitored it whilst abroad, and knew it never moved.  One of the features is that the car engine can be 'Cut off' remotely, this bit was out of my skills and had to employ an Auto Electrician (finding one that was prepared to do this wasn't easy but I found one).  So if my car is stolen I can cut of the engine power, or when I park the car I could ensure it never started in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chosen One said:

It is the TK103B from Amazon for £29.59 here is the link to Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DEZU6FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   It's easy enough to fit, obviously I'm not say saying where mine is located, but I know it will never be found.  There is a web link they provide that enables you to locate the movements of the car (and its history).  You insert a SIM card into the tracker (I used Giffgaff)  and then with your mobile send a text to the tracker and it will reply, there are many instructions you can send with this method. I leave my car at the Meet & Great parking when on holiday and wondered where they parked it, (is it really in a secure place) and yes it is as I monitored it whilst abroad, and knew it never moved.  One of the features is that the car engine can be 'Cut off' remotely, this bit was out of my skills and had to employ an Auto Electrician (finding one that was prepared to do this wasn't easy but I found one).  So if my car is stolen I can cut of the engine power, or when I park the car I could ensure it never started in the first place.

If your car is stolen and the first you know about it is,say one  hour afterwards, when it may  by then have been placed in a steel shipping container and placed aboard a ship, do you think/know if your signal to the car can penetrate the container and be received by the car?

Regards

John

The tracker notifies you when the door is opened, the ignition is turned on; as well as other features, and as to whether the signal can penetrate the container, I wouldn't know. but would it end up in a container AND on board a ship in less than an hour after being stolen, I doubt it. But I do know that I knew where my car was exactly in the UK whilst I was in the south of Spain. I  But then if you immobilise the car in the first place,  :cool:

2 hours ago, Chosen One said:

The tracker notifies you when the door is opened, the ignition is turned on; as well as other features, and as to whether the signal can penetrate the container, I wouldn't know. but would it end up in a container AND on board a ship in less than an hour after being stolen, I doubt it. But I do know that I knew where my car was exactly in the UK whilst I was in the south of Spain. I  But then if you immobilise the car in the first place,  :cool:

Many thanks.

Interestingly, I am currently in the South of Spain and have been watching my Lexus via the Security Cameras affixed to my property, so I know exactly where my immobilised car is, but I am unable to prevent it from being taken away.

One of your Trackers would be useful but for less than £30 it does not exactly inspire me with confidence.  I hope that it performs as well as you expect it to.

I see they appear to be out of stock currently.

Regards

John

Years ago trackers were about £200 a go and more, it wasn't until my daughters car was stolen (and burnt out) that I thought of looking into them and was surprised at how inexpensive they were now.  Like you my house is covered by cameras, unfortunately they're no good when the car is in Manchester or anywhere else than outside my house.  Regarding confidence, I am a lot happier knowing where my car is simply by going online and looking at the display on the website, and also that  can disable the car should  need to.  If a thief wants to drive MY car at 130 MPH I don't mind cutting the engine on him, although it can be done so it only cuts the engine when going under 12 MPH.  Do a search on amazon (other sites are available) and it will show you alternative sellers who do have them in stock.  I have the 'B' version which has a remote fob, but that doesn't really do much (I just like gadgets).  Here is part of the display of my car being moved from the secure parking to the Airport and some of my journey home after returning from Spain last month, each of the dots indicates date/time.

car track.jpg

Edited by Chosen One
Image added
  • Like 1

Years ago I remember Ford fitting impact switches into rear bumper location and if someone rear ended you, the switch would trigger cutting power to the fuel pump. I used to cut into the circuit and fit a small toggle switch hidden in the car, and when leaving the car , I would just enable the switch knowing if the car was stolen it would only go for a limited time before running out of fuel. The thief would hopefully just abandon the car within a certain distance of original parking. Don't know if modern cars utilise same type impact fuel cut off switches and this might seem a crude answer to the problem, however the theory still holds good. Cut power to fuel pump, car stops due to fuel starvation. Theory does not work if they load vehicle directly onto trailer. Food for thought.