Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brightening up maroon LS430

Hi everyone,

I am wondering about the colour of our LS. When it was purchased back in the day it was a bright maroon colour(lovely). Many years later, it appears a quite darker red. I polish and wax it every four weeks with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Mequiars wax. I wash the car every week. 

A while ago I saw an identical LS430 in maroon but it was so bright that it was turning heads all the way down the street! 

Anybody have some ideas as to how I can enhance the "redness" of my LS? Is there a better polish. Turtle wax coloured polish maybe? 

This is only my third post so I hope that it's in the right place.

Can't wait to hear from you all. Thanks 

Alex 

21 hours ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi everyone,

I am wondering about the colour of our LS. When it was purchased back in the day it was a bright maroon colour(lovely). Many years later, it appears a quite darker red. I polish and wax it every four weeks with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Mequiars wax. I wash the car every week. 

A while ago I saw an identical LS430 in maroon but it was so bright that it was turning heads all the way down the street! 

Anybody have some ideas as to how I can enhance the "redness" of my LS? Is there a better polish. Turtle wax coloured polish maybe? 

This is only my third post so I hope that it's in the right place.

Can't wait to hear from you all. Thanks 

Alex 

Mine is the same colour and I bought a dual action polisher, it makes a massive difference. I think that regardless of how much polish goes on top, it needs to have that deep layer of grime removed first.  Maybe use a clay bar?  Have a search on YouTube, there are loads of tips.

Hi The Acre,

Thank you for your reply! i clay bared the car about three to four months ago. Whilst I was abroad for a rather long time the car went unwashed. perhaps the colour is fading due to that. 

I went down to my local Halfords today to stock up and got some Autoglym Ultra Deep shine and some Mequiars Gold Class Carnauba Wax. I have some Autoglym Super Resin Polish so tomorrow morning I will start with the Ultra Deep Shine, Super Resin Polish and last of all the Mequiars Wax. 

I seem to remember looking at some photos of your LS on one of your posts a while back. You clearly take good care of it! 

About a year ago I got talking to someone from the RAC who came to replace the Battery, turns out he was a classic car enthusiast and offered to come with his polishing machine! Wish I had agreed now. 

Alex

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Mine is the same colour and I bought a dual action polisher, it makes a massive difference. I think that regardless of how much polish goes on top, it needs to have that deep layer of grime removed first.  Maybe use a clay bar?  Have a search on YouTube, there are loads of tips.

Sorry, forgot to quote:unsure:

It depends how much you want to do and how much you want to spend. From what I understand the car goes a flat, dull colour because the top clear coat oxidises. To get its true colour back you have to take a layer of the oxidised clear coat off by machine polishing or some such thing. Car detailers can carry out a 3-stage process of proper colour restoration that costs anywhere from about £150 to £250 (or at least it does around here anyway).

Again, as I understand it, no amount of polish or wax will bring the proper colour back. They are used to seal the clear top coat and protect it from oxidising again once you've got rid of it. As Phil suggested above, search Youtube for videos of colour restoration.

Sorry if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick but I'm just toying with the idea of having our RX300 'colour restored' and I'm just learning about it myself.

38 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi The Acre,

Thank you for your reply! i clay bared the car about three to four months ago. Whilst I was abroad for a rather long time the car went unwashed. perhaps the colour is fading due to that. 

I went down to my local Halfords today to stock up and got some Autoglym Ultra Deep shine and some Mequiars Gold Class Carnauba Wax. I have some Autoglym Super Resin Polish so tomorrow morning I will start with the Ultra Deep Shine, Super Resin Polish and last of all the Mequiars Wax. 

I seem to remember looking at some photos of your LS on one of your posts a while back. You clearly take good care of it! 

About a year ago I got talking to someone from the RAC who came to replace the battery, turns out he was a classic car enthusiast and offered to come with his polishing machine! Wish I had agreed now. 

Alex

I would like to take the credit but the effort belongs to the previous owner, although I try to carry it on. It is possible to get it back to the way it should be, it'll just take some effort.  I think it's one of the best colours these cars were produced with.  I've noticed Toyota are using it again, or very close to it, I've seen it a lot on the Avensis.

3 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I would like to take the credit but the effort belongs to the previous owner, although I try to carry it on. It is possible to get it back to the way it should be, it'll just take some effort.  I think it's one of the best colours these cars were produced with.  I've noticed Toyota are using it again, or very close to it, I've seen it a lot on the Avensis.

The colour indeed is the best. Someone I know recently purchased a brand new IS after stating that his 2013 GS was "getting a bit old":w00t: . He always told me how he liked the colour of my 430 and on returning from the Lexus dealer with a huge smile on his face noticed just how different the "modern" red is. Ha ha!

23 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

It depends how much you want to do and how much you want to spend. From what I understand the car goes a flat, dull colour because the top clear coat oxidises. To get its true colour back you have to take a layer of the oxidised clear coat off by machine polishing or some such thing. Car detailers can carry out a 3-stage process of proper colour restoration that costs anywhere from about £150 to £250 (or at least it does around here anyway).

Again, as I understand it, no amount of polish or wax will bring the proper colour back. They are used to seal the clear top coat and protect it from oxidising again once you've got rid of it. As Phil suggested above, search Youtube for videos of colour restoration.

Sorry if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick but I'm just toying with the idea of having our RX300 'colour restored' and I'm just learning about it myself.

Hi sorcerer,

You have given me lots to think about. I'm fine with spending time as the car is quite a hobby to me. i suppose £250 is not that bad for a full colour restoration. I had not heard of this kind of thing before so thanks for letting me know. If you go for it with the RX do tell us how it went. Sorry for not noticing your reply until now.:ohmy:

Alex

1 hour ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:
29 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Perhaps I should put some pictures in this post tomorrow of how the car looks after i am done?

Perhaps is not good enough my man, it'll be expected! Sooo, how come you have a picture of a silver one?

• Like 1

Just now, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

hi The Acre,

I meant to say that I was going to post some pictures of my red LS after i finish detailing it tomorrow. I have heard how much the LOC likes a good picture or two:biggrin:

Alex 

Ohhhhhh! Sorry The Acre, I understand now:cool:. You are asking about my profile pic. 

Unfortunately I can't find a picture of my own red LS that will look right in the little box. I thought a non facelift headlight would be appropriate for a non facelift ls430 owner, and I must say its quite a good pic.:smile:

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I must say it makes so much difference having the headlights polished. I'm not sure what gives them that blue/green tint but it does look nice. Looking forward to your shiny pics!

Hi The Acre,

I slaved away for hours on it this morning then went out for a drive to show off the finish! Unfortunately, I just got back and all the sun has disappeared around here so you won't be able to see the true colour of the paint work in the pics. I first washed the car in Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo, then used Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine, the Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and finally Meguiars gold class Carnauba Wax. What a morning:ohmy:

I think its the powerful headlight bulbs that cause that nice blue tinge. Mine are now almost 15 yrs old and still light up the whole area at night!

Enjoy the pics……….

Image.jpg

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Superb, well done, I bet you've got arms like Popeye now!  Is that a facelift model or is it just the wheels?

By green/blue tint I meant when the lights are off, the lenses have a slight tint that comes from inside somewhere.

20 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Very nice Alexander, your effort has been well rewarded, that looks superb!

P.S. I have no idea why there's a blank quote box above - all I did was my usual general way of replying to any thread but it appeared and I can't get rid of it. I wasn't even trying to quote Phil :ohmy:

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

Very nice Alexander, your effort has been well rewarded, that looks superb!

P.S. I have no idea why there's a blank quote box above - all I did was my usual general way of replying to any thread but it appeared and I can't get rid of it. I wasn't even trying to quote Phil :ohmy:

Hi John,

Thank you! I am so glad that it looks good and is admired! It took quite a lot of doing though. By the end I had almost collapsed:ohmy:

The blank quote box happened to me a while back too- very annoying. 

Alex 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Superb, well done, I bet you've got arms like Popeye now!  Is that a facelift model or is it just the wheels?

By green/blue tint I meant when the lights are off, the lenses have a slight tint that comes from inside somewhere.

Hi The- Acre,

Also thanks for the kind words. Yes, typing this is proving hard for my tired arms:biggrin: Probably tomorrow after a good night sleep they will be ready to make anybody think twice about messing me around, ha ha!:cool:

Am glad you mentioned the facelift thing. I see that I have almost fooled you:biggrin:. it is actually just the wheels. They were a free gift from my neighbour who's facelift 2004 LS ended up in the front of his house. That was a very bad day. I also got all the wood venir for the doors and centre console!!

1 hour ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi The- Acre,

Also thanks for the kind words. Yes, typing this is proving hard for my tired arms:biggrin: Probably tomorrow after a good night sleep they will be ready to make anybody think twice about messing me around, ha ha!:cool:

Am glad you mentioned the facelift thing. I see that I have almost fooled you:biggrin:. it is actually just the wheels. They were a free gift from my neighbour who's facelift 2004 LS ended up in the front of his house. That was a very bad day. I also got all the wood venir for the doors and centre console!!

It would be nice to see it in the flesh sometime, if I'm ever in your part of the world I'll let you know.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links