Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise control

Stupid question, where do people put their right foot when using cruise control?

On the floor - probably the most comfortable but not easy to get on the brake if something happens.

Above the brake pedal - allows the brake to be pressed quicker in an emergency, but not comfortable.

Above the accelerator - again not comfortable.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Paul.

I never use cruise control for that very reason, unless on a motorway with extremely sparse traffic. In normal traffic I felt the need to keep my foot above the brake pedal but it was just too uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Cruise Control, As a disabled motorist on long journeys its manner sent from heaven. I just rest my foot on the floor and without CC I wouldn't be able to undertake any long journeys. If you need to hit the brake pedal your foot moves quick enough to the brake pedal without having your foot hovering over the it. Mike.

• Like 1

I never use cruise control for that very reason, unless on a motorway with extremely sparse traffic. In normal traffic I felt the need to keep my foot above the brake pedal but it was just too uncomfortable.

Me neither, it's too stressful to be worth the effort on our UK motorways 99% of the time. Adaptive cruise control (ACC) on the over hand, is brilliant. Set the desired speed and the car will slow down automatically and maintain a gap predetermined by the setting you choose. If the car in front moves out of the way, or you move into an overtaking position the car will speed back up to the speed originally set.

I have it on my NX and wouldn't be without it. My wife, who was sceptical in the extreme and not a great motorway passenger now loves it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It'll be a long time before cars with adaptive cruise control come down to my price range but while I wait I have to say that I love the 'ordinary' or traditional version. Along with the auto transmission it ranks as one of mankind's best inventions. Plenty of opportunity to use it on the motorways and I just leave my right foot on the floor and/or stretch my leg as I feel. I can soon get my foot to the brake when necessary.

I use CC all the time, my wife will not. I don't like the way the engine revs so hard when you want to increase your speed using the CC lever.  I had a test drive of a BMW 330e and their CC is brilliant.  There is a little lever on the steering wheel and with a flick up or down you can change your speed and see the readout on the dash.  Also the auto box is so smooth and quiet.  However at £40,000 for a car with the same speck as an IS 330h, it's a lot of money.

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2016 at 6:37 PM, sorcerer said:

It'll be a long time before cars with adaptive cruise control come down to my price range but while I wait I have to say that I love the 'ordinary' or traditional version. Along with the auto transmission it ranks as one of mankind's best inventions. Plenty of opportunity to use it on the motorways and I just leave my right foot on the floor and/or stretch my leg as I feel. I can soon get my foot to the brake when necessary.

Completely agree, no probs hitting the brake when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not trust acc having had bad experiences with the system on the latest mini. A collision avoidance system that detects an imminent head on collision and emergency brakes on an empty motorway on 5 occasions in15000 miles is not good. According to BMW the car was fine and they could not replicate the issue... 

2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I do not trust acc having had bad experiences with the system on the latest mini. A collision avoidance system that detects an imminent head on collision and emergency brakes on an empty motorway on 5 occasions in15000 miles is not good. According to BMW the car was fine and they could not replicate the issue... 

this is why YOU drive a lexus ,you know you can trust it

I have ACC and quite like it, but only use it on quiet motorways as I find in heavy traffic I don't feel in control. For example if a car in front slows down to much and I change lanes to overtake, it just seems to take too long to do so. My wife will not use it at all. I put my foot on the floor as otherwise it is too uncomfortable. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links