Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200t tuning!

Hi just a quick one, I have read in the past that the is200t cant be remapped, but just noticed Tdi Tuning are offering a tuning box for it, showing good power gains, I understand that they are quite a reputable company.

Ant thoughts

Regards Jason

Interesting

When I bought my IS200t a few weeks back I was told (by a main dealer employee) there was an after market option to tune it to 300 bhp...I guess this is it?..

https://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_petrol_tuning_boxes/lexus/is_/200t_241_bhp__244_ps__179_kw_/lexus_is_200t_241_bhp_244_ps_179_kw_crtd4_multichannel_petrol_tuning_box_chip_P11342.html

On 28/09/2016 at 6:31 PM, Jaspersilus said:

but just noticed Tdi Tuning are offering a tuning box for it, showing good power gains, I understand that they are quite a reputable company.

Not to be confused with Torque Developments International

That is a bold claim +55BHP from just a re-tune. Would love to see it proven, or disproven, whatever the case may be. 

Definitely looks interesting and certainly 55hp is achievable from a re-tune considering the A43 AMG's are at 381hp.

I was always told that the 200t engine was conservatively tuned from speaking to a few people and more for maximum life rather than performance. However, I doubt 300hp would have a huge impact on reliability and it'd certainly shift!

A quick look under the engine cover of the 200t a few weeks back actually revealed that there's a "blank" space present where another turbo could be fitted as well which is something to look forward to if a tuner decides to release a bolt on turbo upgrade

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

A quick look under the engine cover of the 200t a few weeks back actually revealed that there's a "blank" space present where another turbo could be fitted as well which is something to look forward to if a tuner decides to release a bolt on turbo upgrade

Sorry but i'm raising the BS flag on that one until such time as I see pictorial proof. Apart from the bean counters not letting it happen how many 2.0 engines do you know of that run two turbo's ?

On the +55BHP i think it's unlikely from just a tune, but if you change the air filter and remove a CAT or change the exhaust as well as a tune then should be possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martin F said:

Sorry but i'm raising the BS flag on that one until such time as I see pictorial proof. Apart from the bean counters not letting it happen how many 2.0 engines do you know of that run two turbo's ?

On the +55BHP i think it's unlikely from just a tune, but if you change the air filter and remove a CAT or change the exhaust as well as a tune then should be possible. 

Well I dont have any pictures so that BS flag better be sturdy! I dont know of any 2.0 engines running two turbos and its nigh on impossible that itll come from the factory. Its a tuners opportunity though but more likely to happen in the US first of course.

On Saturday, October 01, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Martin F said:

Not to be confused with Torque Developments International

That is a bold claim +55BHP from just a re-tune. Would love to see it proven, or disproven, whatever the case may be. 

Naa on a turbo thats not that much of an increase. On my old 335i I could change the power ouput from 200bhp (0 PSI) to 400bhp+ (14PSI) by just changing the boost pressure on the turbo. Add in methanol injection for heat control and some people were running boost pressures of 18PSI on stock turbos giving a dyno proven 500WHP, stock the output was 306bhp at 7PSI of boost. 

Problem is the higher the boost the more chance of pre detonation/knock, so you better besure the ECU or tunning box has knock detection. You also get misfires more often, so better spark plugs/coil packs may be needed, superunleaded is a must. Than ofcourse you have the biggest headache, heat. There is a reason why the current turbo charged M3 has 7 heat exchangers stuffed under the bonnet. 

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM, doog442 said:

Interesting

When I bought my IS200t a few weeks back I was told (by a main dealer employee) there was an after market option to tune it to 300 bhp...I guess this is it?..

https://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_petrol_tuning_boxes/lexus/is_/200t_241_bhp__244_ps__179_kw_/lexus_is_200t_241_bhp_244_ps_179_kw_crtd4_multichannel_petrol_tuning_box_chip_P11342.html

Looking at product I would be very very careful about putting it on my own car. All it appears to do is highjack the sensor inputs into the ECU to 'fool' the ECU of the car to change the engine map. I highly doubt its got any built in knock detection, data logging(which will let you see if under wide open throttle runs there are any issues with heat/misfires), or the ability to control fuel flow/throttle directly. Worst of all it's an genetic box for lots of cars, so it cannot possibly have been developed/tested in detail on a 200t. 

Personally I would leave well alone and let others take the risk. 

16 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Looking at product I would be very very careful about putting it on my own car. All it appears to do is highjack the sensor inputs into the ECU to 'fool' the ECU of the car to change the engine map. I highly doubt its got any built in knock detection, data logging(which will let you see if under wide open throttle runs there are any issues with heat/misfires), or the ability to control fuel flow/throttle directly. Worst of all it's an genetic box for lots of cars, so it cannot possibly have been developed/tested in detail on a 200t. 

Personally I would leave well alone and let others take the risk. 

It seemed far too easy :-)

Don't worry, I lack the expertise to mess with this stuff...I've also just come from a 135i so have got the daft numbers out of the system. I also prefer my cars unmolested.

On 04/10/2016 at 3:31 AM, ganzoom said:

Naa on a turbo thats not that much of an increase. On my old 335i I could change the power ouput from 200bhp (0 PSI) to 400bhp+ (14PSI) by just changing the boost pressure on the turbo. Add in methanol injection for heat control and some people were running boost pressures of 18PSI on stock turbos giving a dyno proven 500WHP, stock the output was 306bhp at 7PSI of boost. 

So that would be a 94bhp increase over stock by doubling the boost pressure, whilst at the same time i'm pretty sure your car didn't have a standard exhaust and i know you say you tried different air filters at various times as well. 

Believe me look at the cars in my signature and you know I have similar knowledge of tuning turbo cars, and the biggest restriction is always the breathing. I'd be very surprised if that TDI box can give the claimed increase purely from tuning and not require other items to be changed. Also if you look on the US forums none of them are claiming anything like that level of increase on their RC200t's and they usually are more willing to tune and fiddle. 

However if somebody proves my suspicions wrong I would be very interested as i'd most likely swap my IS300h for an IS200t or RC200t as I think one of those with 300bhp (ish) would make for a good driving car. :)

Changing air intakes made zero difference to power gains, the opposite. The only thing I changed with the exhaust was replacing the primary cats with a 'sports' version, but even stock you can easily achieve 360bhp+ with nothing more than upping boost. 

The latest A45 AMG is pushing 380bhp from a 4 cylinder unit. The 335i I had was an early car that came with forged camshaft and cylinder head, so I was comfortable upping boost knowing causing proper engine damage was hard. 

I have no idea how much redundancy the 200t unit has, but as you say the US market is where all things modding happens. The 200t is stil newish, but I would be surprised if eventually it cannot be made to hit 300bhp easily. 

But of course these days I don't see the point of tuning combustion cars, EVs are the future and if you have cash to waste on modding your mad not to go and test drive a Tesla. 

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:31 PM, Jaspersilus said:

Hi just a quick one, I have read in the past that the is200t cant be remapped, but just noticed Tdi Tuning are offering a tuning box for it, showing good power gains, I understand that they are quite a reputable company.

Ant thoughts

Regards Jason

Hey Guys,

I just registered to voice my opinion after trying the TDI box for the IS200t, in short not to get into the ugly details just don't waste your money, it dose not work and the return process is painful.

I hope this saves some of you guys the trouble and money waste

Nuke

• Like 3

Cheers Nuke

I love the engine and its  performance...Sub 7 seconds for  0-60..feels less...its selling in such low numbers its a damned shame that punters loyal to the brand are missing out on affordable Lex with decent performance. 

• Like 1

I had one recently as a service loan car, thought it was a good package with accessible performance and pretty good handling.

It looked great in black with black semi gloss wheels, would have preferred anthracite myself but that's nitpicking.

For someone  who doesn't want the hybrid / diesel route in a four cylinder car I personally believe from the driving pleasure perspective this is a good bet, who else does petrol rear wheel drive now with this quality ?

Some may  say a manual gearbox option would appeal I'm not so sure, especially with today's traffic density.

Big Rat

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Cheers Nuke

I love the engine and its  performance...Sub 7 seconds for  0-60..feels less...its selling in such low numbers its a damned shame that punters loyal to the brand are missing out on affordable Lex with decent performance. 

Doog

Did you consider any other manufacturers petrol cars before the 200t ?

Big Rat

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Cheers Nuke

Probably going to be a little more popular now that tax bands have changed. It won't be as expensive to tax and comes fully loaded

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Probably going to be a little more popular now that tax bands have changed. It won't be as expensive to tax and comes fully loaded

Yes it does seem a very attractive package, got me thinking now when Mrs Rats motor comes up for a change a lightly used one of these increasingly appeals.

Big Rat

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

I had one recently as a service loan car, thought it was a good package with accessible performance and pretty good handling.

It looked great in black with black semi gloss wheels, would have preferred anthracite myself but that's nitpicking.

For someone  who doesn't want the hybrid / diesel route in a four cylinder car I personally believe from the driving pleasure perspective this is a good bet, who else does petrol rear wheel drive now with this quality ?

Some may  say a manual gearbox option would appeal I'm not so sure, especially with today's traffic density.

Big Rat

This is the exact reason why I've ordered one for the wife.

Looked at the usual Diesel BMW, Audi, Mercs, but decided to stick to the IS200t. It's reliable, well built, rare, petrol with auto, all the toys you'd ever need with an awesome look. 😎

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Doog

Did you consider any other manufacturers petrol cars before the 200t ?

Big Rat

Hello mate...Ive just come from a BMW 135i coupe so the IS200t was a downgrade in the performance stakes. However prior to that I had an IS200, simply returned to the fold because I like Lexus and couldnt really justify an ISF as had my sensible head on. 

A few of us still look enviously at the US and the IS350 as a good go between at a price that doesn't break the bank. Sadly it wont happen.