Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

After owning a 2010 60kmiles GS450 for three months started to notice the engine sound and Electric motor whining.  I actually thought the car is dead silent and cannot hear a thing from inside but it is not at all true (at lease in my case). 

On a cold morning the Engine fires up to a rattles louder than normal noise. Like a Diesel engine. And i also clearly notice the whining noise of the electric motor. Is it just me or am i used to the silence that i hear such noises?

Do you notice similar noises? Do you think I having a problem? Looks like i cant really show of to my mates how silent the car is.

Thanks

Hari

When I first had the GS450H I thought how silent the car was, and this was coming from a Prius not exactly a noisy car. Now driving it for a few months I do hear the engine where as before I only heard it when accelerating hard. People that ride in the car for the first time invariably comment on how quiet it is and say when will the engine start.

I think the noises you hear are normal, but you are attuned to them so hear them more noticeably.

John 

As others have stated I think you get used to it and start to almost listen out for odd sounds! I agree it is noisy upon start up but once warm its quite. Also you can hear the electric motor if you have the window down and theres no traffic/radio to drown it out. Go back to a non hybrid and have a listen. I went out in my dads 2014 Jag XJ 3.0 V6 diesel the other day, lovely car. Very smooth but you can hear the engine and you really notice it after being used to a hybrid.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to hire a 220d for a week and then return back to Your 450h :-) You will be surprised how silent it really is. Last week i took some friends for a short spin and even on a relatively cold start they first told how silent it is. And i have only 300h.