Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for the quietest car on my budget.

robby93b

Hi all I'm new here, I suffer badly with tinnitus which has gotten a lot worse thanks to a job I was working with help from bone conducted vibration, I quit but ever since, driving is making my tinnitus worse via the vibrations of the car (I wear earplugs whilst driving) this cuts out 30 decibels of noise but obviously not vibrations from the road. At the moment I am driving quite a small and loud car on a 52 plate, but before worked this job my ears were fine but now are very sensitive.

After a few google searches for the quietest car, Lexus keeps coming up but I would like to know if the quietness also includes the noise of the rumbling through the tyres and the road?

I have a budget of £3k at the moment, I know that would get me an older Lexus so I was wondering if the age of the car would make any difference with a Lexus?

Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your problem Robert, I know people that suffer with this and it's very difficult at times.

I'm sure many will advise that the way to go for a very quiet comfortable ride will be the LS400, or the LS430, both available on your budget, and just as peaceful to drive as you can get, even compared with new cars.  Obviously good tyres contribute to quietness. I'm not sure about the GS series,it's a bit smaller and I'm sure owners will give you their input too.  And welcome to the LOC!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks The-Acre, I have been looking around at the e430 and see some old ones for my budget but I think I will save up a couple of grand and get a 2004ish one in good nick! I am hoping to get a new job soon which is very local which requires no driving to get to so I can use the Lexus just for mainly motorway and the weekly shopping trip so shouldn't be much on the fuel.

3 hours ago, robby93b said:

Thanks The-Acre, I have been looking around at the e430 and see some old ones for my budget but I think I will save up a couple of grand and get a 2004ish one in good nick! I am hoping to get a new job soon which is very local which requires no driving to get to so I can use the Lexus just for mainly motorway and the weekly shopping trip so shouldn't be much on the fuel.

A couple of things to consider.  The LS430 has much more to go wrong due to it being overloaded with gadgets.  A good MK4 LS 400 (if you can find one) is probably the most reliable car you could ever own, absolutely bullet proof.  The main thing is good history for either car. Good luck with your search, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Thank you, well for me what causes my tinnitus to get worse are the vibrations in the road rather than the noise, so something that literally glides down the road, thank you for the warning of the gadgets, I noticed that they are full of gadgets, do you have any examples, do you mean the electronics? It will be a while before I buy one so I have time to do look into history and I look for cam belt changes and things like that too.

5 hours ago, robby93b said:

Thank you, well for me what causes my tinnitus to get worse are the vibrations in the road rather than the noise, so something that literally glides down the road, thank you for the warning of the gadgets, I noticed that they are full of gadgets, do you have any examples, do you mean the electronics? It will be a while before I buy one so I have time to do look into history and I look for cam belt changes and things like that too.

The only major concern people have is the air suspension which can cost not only an arm, but also a leg to put right! Personally I wouldn't be too concerned with that because most stay trouble free.  Steering wheel motors can play up, but so can they on the LS400.  The engine is basically the same as the LS400 and is superb.  I think the electronics are generally pretty reliable.  Side windows can de-laminate but that may be mostly on the early ones.  The thing is to try a couple to get the feel.  

for your budget, have you also considered a Citroen C5 or C6? heard they are one of the comfortable cars out there with a suspension technology which can raise the whole car a few millilitres automatically once it detects rough road surfaces..

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2016 at 6:29 PM, robby93b said:

Hi Robert,

Just a small point- if you are going to buy an LS430, the ones  mid 2003 and after come with stock 18"wheels and quite low profile tyres, and this would cause a harsher ride and possibly more noise. The 2000 to early 2003 LS430's have 17" wheels and thick comfy tires.

Welcome to the club and I'm sure that whatever Lexus you purchase, you will not be disappointed.

Alex 

Diesels are generally noisy. Petrol less so. Hybrids are quiet under 30mph, electric are quiet all the time.

Wind noise and tyre rumble vary, but big wide tyres should be avoided as they are noisier, low profile also giver a firm ride.  

Just make sure you test drive over a poor/rough surface, also at 70mph, which is the worst speed for noise.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links