Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Bulbs - Main Beam

Hi All. I need to buy Headlight bulbs for the main beam on both sides.

The right hand side is completely out while the left hand side is partially lit

Will the HB3 Philips White Vision 12V 65W 9005 Halogen bulbs (Pair) be a good choice?

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb3-philips-white-vision-12v-65w-9005-halogen-bulbs-pair.html

If yes,which supplier should I be getting them from?

I would avoid these so called better bulbs, iv had nothing but trouble with them. They may be brighter but most dont last long at all.

Just from my personal experience using bulbs of this sort. I see you get a years garantee and made by phillips, but seem a tad expensive as well.

Are you near a toyota or lexus dealer? Their bulbs would be similar price and last upwords of 5 years i imagine. There is lots on eBay, i dont rate Halfords bulbs

at all. Its personal prefrence really. Are you after the hid look ? I have Hid kit in normal driving 5000k. Standard main beam bulbs 3000k hid yellow fogs .

Cree bulbs for side lights. Leds inside. I would not change my main beam bulbs from original, and to honest cant remember using it.

Hids are that good if you get the new kits. Somebody may come along,and not agree with me at all. Thats fine buy what works for you and your budget.

What model is yours?

These are the ballasts i use. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252040003270?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

• Like 1

Here I am disagreeing! I guess it depends on where you live - if you use a lot of dark country roads you need good main beams. I use mine a lot. I have HID dips (aftermarket kit) but I use Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited Plus main beam bulbs. Doesn't matter where you get them from - they are available from loads of sellers on eBay - eg for £19.90 for a pair. from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-NightBreaker-Unlimited-HB3-Headlight-Bulbs-Duo-Case-110-Plus-Light-/252014362902?hash=item3aad3a0116:g:WuMAAOSwwbdWH59e

I've had them in for a couple of years - no probs, although I don't do a huge mileage.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Are you near a toyota or lexus dealer? Their bulbs would be similar price and last upwords of 5 years i imagine. There is lots on ebay, i dont rate halfords bulbs

at all. Its personal prefrence really. Are you after the hid look ? I have Hid kit in normal driving 5000k. Standard main beam bulbs 3000k hid yellow fogs .

Cree bulbs for side lights. Leds inside. I would not change my main beam bulbs from original, and to honest cant remember using it.

Hids are that good if you get the new kits. Somebody may come along,and not agree with me at all. Thats fine buy what works for you and your budget.

What model is yours?

These are the ballasts i use. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252040003270?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Hi mate...Mine is a IS 250 SE 4d...The thing is I am so confuesed since there are so many bulbs out there...

And I read that HID conversion kits are disallowed in th UK...Is that correct?

Would you know what the original main beam bulbs are and provide me with a link with that?

18 hours ago, johnatg said:

Here I am disagreeing! I guess it depends on where you live - if you use a lot of dark country roads you need good main beams. I use mine a lot. I have HID dips (aftermarket kit) but I use Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited Plus main beam bulbs. Doesn't matter where you get them from - they are available from loads of sellers on eBay - eg for £19.90 for a pair. from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-NightBreaker-Unlimited-HB3-Headlight-Bulbs-Duo-Case-110-Plus-Light-/252014362902?hash=item3aad3a0116:g:WuMAAOSwwbdWH59e

I've had them in for a couple of years - no probs, although I don't do a huge mileage.

Thanks for you reply as well, mate...I will look into the Osram bulbs as well...My mechanic was recommending Philips...Any reason as to why?

I don't intend to do huge mileage as well and drive around within inner London as well.

I just bought the car like a month back.

My car is an se also with halogen bulbs. I have fitted loads of hid kits and none have failed an mot. Never been flashed by other drivers either.

Could try these .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repalce-Halogen-Hid-80W-6000K-CREE-Led-Headlight-Kit-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-/182223689879?var=&hash=item2a6d60d897:m:mdqPuix5crNfDkptFHn2Vnw

There are loads on the net mate. As i already said ballast i use, headlight bulbs are h11 i believe its in the hand book. The ballast are not cheap but are

fitted with a chip 3year guarantee, instant fire up no flickering and bright as you like. I fit 5000k bulbs hate the blue tint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Madasahatter, the thing is I have got to get my mechanic to do it and he is advising me not to use conversion kits as they could be not road legal.

Right Headlight.jpg

As you can see from the above, the centre one is only out on the right hand side.

Also,my two bulbs on the left hand side are both out unfortunately,

Are the two bulbs on each side independent from each other? Are they the High Beam or Low Beam bulbs?

Go for 6000k if you want the bright white look.

The conversion kits are road legal and they will pass MOT no problem. The problem is usually the beam pattern which is set too high/low.

When i had my mot they just lowered it on the switch in the car, i have never had a car fail an mot with a conversion kit. I have fitted loads of them

and its like night and day, fit 4300k or 5000k kits more natural. 6000k upwards look rubbish in my eyes.

Tell him they is nothing to be afraid of.

No aftermarket HID kit is road legal if only because they are not type approved and the bulbs are not e-marked. That doesn't mean they won't pass an MoT though - the MoT checks immediate road worthiness, not Construction and Use issues. Even if you have a valid MoT you can still be prosecuted for not complying with C and U regs. Highly unlikely though. I have an HID kit - first MoT with it fitted is due in a couple of weeks. Incidentally, MoT stations have recently been equipped with much stricter beam testing kits. i'll let you know how i get on.

I am not surprised that a mechanic declines to fit them. They are not legal and professional mechanics should not fit things to cars which are not legal. What you do yourself is up to you - but understand the risks and don't just try and say 'I thought it/they was/were legal!

But clearly Sathax doesn't want HID, so lets address his post.

Oh dear - you really shouldn't let your car get to that state - any bulb which fails (and its opposite side partner) should be replaced immediately.

Now -  the dip beams are the outer bulbs, the main beams are the inner ones. The two bulbs are independent of each other. My advice from here would be to take it to your mechanic and get him to replace all four bulbs with whatever he recommends - but do it now - today.

It would be a good idea to learn how to do simple tasks such as replacing bulbs etc yourself. You pay through the nose for a professional to do things like that which really are simple to do yourself (although - fair does - headlamp bulb replacement on an IS can test your patience and dexterity of your fingers.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sathax said:

Madasahatter, the thing is I have got to get my mechanic to do it and he is advising me not to use conversion kits as they could be not road legal.

Right Headlight.jpg

As you can see from the above, the centre one is only out on the right hand side.

Also,my two bulbs on the left hand side are both out unfortunately,

Are the two bulbs on each side independent from each other? Are they the High Beam or Low Beam bulbs?

I do apologise main beam bulbs i leave standard dont use them only to flash people out. Low beam i fit hid also fogs.

49 minutes ago, johnatg said:

No aftermarket HID kit is road legal if only because they are not type approved and the bulbs are not e-marked. That doesn't mean they won't pass an MoT though - the MoT checks immediate road worthiness, not Construction and Use issues. Even if you have a valid MoT you can still be prosecuted for not complying with C and U regs. Highly unlikely though. I have an HID kit - first MoT with it fitted is due in a couple of weeks. Incidentally, MoT stations have recently been equipped with much stricter beam testing kits. i'll let you know how i get on.

I am not surprised that a mechanic declines to fit them. They are not legal and professional mechanics should not fit things to cars which are not legal. What you do yourself is up to you - but understand the risks and don't just try and say 'I thought it/they was/were legal!

But clearly Sathax doesn't want HID, so lets address his post.

Oh dear - you really shouldn't let your car get to that state - any bulb which fails (and it's opposite side partner) should be replaced immediately.

Now -  the dip beams are the outer bulbs, the main beams are the inner ones. The two bulbs are independent of each other. My advice from here would be to take it to your mechanic and get him to replace all four bulbs with whatever he recommends - but do it now - today.

It would be a good idea to learn how to do simple tasks such as replacing bulbs etc yourself. You pay through the nose for a professional to do things like that which really are simple to do yourself (although - fair does - headlamp bulb replacement on an IS can test your patience and dexterity of your fingers.)

Did not notice he was on about main beam. I leave them as is dont use them only to flash drivers out. Low beams are hid and also fogs which are 3000k.

And yes should learn to change bulbs,and do them asap when they fail.

Thank yyou very much for all of your replies,guys.Appreciate it loads. :-)

In the first place, I don't even know whether my high beam or low beam is out. I know...Stupid right?

So taking a look at the pics above, there are two bulbs in there. Just to confirm that the one in the centre is for Mainbeam and the one at the top corner is low beam??

If yes, my main beam is only out on the driver's side. On the passenger side, both are out.

For Halogen bulbs low beam replacement, any suggestions would be welcome.

Image  1.jpgImage 2.jpg

This is how it looks like..The first turn of the switch brings on the two side lights while the second turn of the switch brings on the dimmed one on the driver side and none on the passenger side.

Edited by Sathax

That is one main beam. I don't understand that - the first turn should bring on the parking light bulbs (in the inner housings) then the second turn should bring on the dip (outer) beams. Pushing the switch away from you now should light up the inner (main) beams, pulling it towards you ( one click) should extinguish the main beams.. Pulling the switch towads you with other lights on or off should light up the main beams (only whilst the switch is pulled)

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

The conversion kits are road legal and they will pass MOT no problem. The problem is usually the beam pattern which is set too high/low.

That is actually quite sad, I wish that police could take MOT away on the spot for conversions... like in majority of EU. 

That is not because conversions are bad or cannot be done properly, but because 90% of the times retards are doing it and end-up blinding other drivers. 

P.S. when I say retards I do not refer to anyone in this forum, just general observation based on the times I am being blinded on the road by these "conversions".

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is actually quite sad, I wish that police could take MOT away on the spot for conversions... like in majority of EU. 

That is not because conversions are bad or cannot be done properly, but because 90% of the times retards are doing it and end-up blinding other drivers. 

P.S. when I say retards I do not refer to anyone in this forum, just general observation based on the times I am being blinded on the road by these "conversions".

TBH I don't see them as a problem unless they are extremely blinding. Cars like my RX have the twin LED bulbs on each side and driving in front of it in the IS, even with dimming mirrors is a headache.  No wonder people just move out of the way at night on the motorway 

Your right there Normski, he should have a go at the simple things. Just wear gloves so not to mark the bulbs,that will really get you boiling,

Offside one is easier if you take air box out, dont suppose he will fancy that one. But dont be afraid assess what you are doing and dont rush.

Taking photos with your phone is a good idea, if your not 100% .

12 hours ago, johnatg said:

That is one main beam. I don't understand that - the first turn should bring on the parking light bulbs (in the inner housings) then the second turn should bring on the dip (outer) beams. Pushing the switch away from you now should light up the inner (main) beams, pulling it towards you ( one click) should extinguish the main beams.. Pulling the switch towads you with other lights on or off should light up the main beams (only whilst the switch is pulled)

John is right you have a strange set up if what you are saying is right.

21 hours ago, Sathax said:

Image  1.jpgImage 2.jpg

This is how it looks like..The first turn of the switch brings on the two side lights while the second turn of the switch brings on the dimmed one on the driver side and none on the passenger side.

Where abouts are you located? I'm near Bournemouth on the south coast.

If you're near me at all ....... get your bulbs ....... and I'll put them in for you, and give you a walk-thru on how to do it for future reference.

• Like 1