Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Things to fix

Hi, So I have had the car now for about 3 weeks. Slowly making a list of things to do. Car is RX300 at 103K

1. Timing Belt + Water Pump Change (Booked with Lexus, surprisingly cheapest and cheaper than 3 quotations from local Indys)
  2. Fix ticking sound coming from dash. It is most probably the air-circulation motor on the driver side. (any one know the part number?)
  3. Transmission Fluid , couple of flushes. Its dark red, so may as well do it ASAP. Will get Toyota Type-IV from Lexus, flush at local garage.
  4. One rear Wheel arch has a bit of rust that seems to have been covered up by touch up paint. (don't know if I should leave it or get it sorted). I plan to have the car for at least two years. It is parked out side on the road. 
  5. Will need new tyres for front very soonish.
  6. Service, Oil/Filter, airfilter, pollen filter
  7. Rear breaks are squeaking, may be seized calipers or breakpads coming to end.

Anything else that should be on my radar at 100K? 

Thanks 

• Like 1

Looks like a good list and VERY similar to mine.

1. Yes.

2. I had it done under warranty. Drove me mad until it was fixed. A stepper motor, I think ...

3. Had mine done too. Well worth it I thought - and smoother too.

4. Ditto. Tiny patch. I just touch it up occasionally.

5. Snap. Replaced all mine, with Michelin HP Tours. Felt it was safer to replace them all.

6. Ditto. Including diff oils. And gearbox I think?

7. Same again - 2 seized callipers replaced ( under warranty )

Also changed my wipers (Bosch), side lights to LED and newer dipped bulbs.

And a jolly good clean and polish.

And switched to Shell Nitro... and a dash cam. And better mats. And an ioniser...

:walkman:

( And I also got my air con serviced )

• 2 weeks later...

@PCM

Got the Timing Belt/WaterPump/Coolant done. Also got the tuchup paint so will be touching up the rust patches. There are a couple more patches I found over the weekend. Lexus said transmission oil does not need changing. Not sure to believe them or not. I don't have a Shell near me, closest I can get to premium fuel is a Jet petrol pump. I am not sure if its worth the extra if its not Shell or BP.

Air con service is required but probably get it done come spring time.

I got my local independent guy to change the transmission fluid and also the internal filter, although the filter probably wasn't necessary.  @ChrisKaye said that from what he'd read the filter doesn't really need doing until about 250k if I remember right, but it just seemed counter-intuitive to me to change the fluid but not the filter.

I managed to get a great deal on the fluid, 10 litres of Toyota Type IV from the Toyota dealer for £75.60.

On 10/15/2016 at 9:18 AM, PCM said:

Looks like a good list and VERY similar to mine.

1. Yes.

2. I had it done under warranty. Drove me mad until it was fixed. A stepper motor, I think ...

3. Had mine done too. Well worth it I thought - and smoother too.

4. Ditto. Tiny patch. I just touch it up occasionally.

5. Snap. Replaced all mine, with Michelin HP Tours. Felt it was safer to replace them all.

6. Ditto. Including diff oils. And gearbox I think?

7. Same again - 2 seized callipers replaced ( under warranty )

Also changed my wipers (Bosch), side lights to LED and newer dipped bulbs.

And a jolly good clean and polish.

And switched to Shell Nitro... and a dash cam. And better mats. And an ioniser...

:walkman:

( And I also got my air con serviced )

:confused1:

Unless it is a warranty job don't bother going to a main dealer to get the rear callipers freed up----they will try to sell you a couple of new rear campers at a not inconsiderable cost. A good local independent should be able to remove the slide pins, clean up, grease and re-fit for a fraction of the cost quoted by a dealer. A quick search of this forum for "seized rear callipers" should give you loads of information.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PCM said:

It's great. Fresher air in the car, plugs into a 12v socket, £15... :sp_ike:

I did look them up after I had read your post, used to have one for the house in the '80s, didn't know they made them for cars. :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Lydiamight said:

Unless it is a warranty job don't bother going to a main dealer to get the rear callipers freed up----they will try to sell you a couple of new rear campers at a not inconsiderable cost. A good local independent should be able to remove the slide pins, clean up, grease and re-fit for a fraction of the cost quoted by a dealer. A quick search of this forum for "seized rear callipers" should give you loads of information.

I may set myself up as a Lexus brake calliper repairman.

It seems there's a market, because Lexus dealers don't check and remedy the issue during a service. Not on mine anyway when the previous owner had it serviced under warranty.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Verbout said:

I did look them up after I had read your post, used to have one for the house in the '80s, didn't know they made them for cars. :thumbup:

It's a "PureMate® XJ-600 Ionic Air Purifier & Ioniser for Car & Vehicle". About £14 and great on long journeys or for smokers - NOT that I am one ... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Had mine serviced last month and nearside rear caliper was diagnosed as siezed.

Goes in on Friday to have it replaced......fortunately I have a Lexus warranty on my IS !

I get confused when people report a seized calliper.

Is it the sliding pin that's seized? which most of the time I would imagine can be unseized.

Or is it the actual pistons, which would either require a strip down and refurb or new calliper, which may be cheaper.

Is this made clear to customers?

• Like 1

Yes usually sliding pins seize - you can easily clean them up or even replace them between £11-13 each (two per calliper) but Lexus always charge between £300-400 to replace whole calliper and with labour rates at £100 per hour, you can see how a couple of hours for a tech to refurb a calliper is the same cost as just replacing it!! Crazy.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 13/10/2016 at 11:30 AM, Shepherd said:

Hi, So I have had the car now for about 3 weeks. Slowly making a list of things to do. Car is RX300 at 103K

1. Timing Belt + Water Pump Change (Booked with Lexus, surprisingly cheapest and cheaper than 3 quotations from local Indys)
  2. Fix ticking sound coming from dash. It is most probably the air-circulation motor on the driver side. (any one know the part number?)
  3. Transmission Fluid , couple of flushes. Its dark red, so may as well do it ASAP. Will get Toyota Type-IV from Lexus, flush at local garage.
  4. One rear Wheel arch has a bit of rust that seems to have been covered up by touch up paint. (don't know if I should leave it or get it sorted). I plan to have the car for at least two years. It is parked out side on the road. 
  5. Will need new tyres for front very soonish.
  6. Service, Oil/Filter, airfilter, pollen filter
  7. Rear breaks are squeaking, may be seized calipers or breakpads coming to end.

Anything else that should be on my radar at 100K? 

Thanks 

Did you get all your jobs done?

( I've just had my rear calliper pins checked and re-greased - makes quite a difference! £39 )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links