Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anybody know if I can buy a second hand key for a 99 MKIV LS400, put the guts in my existing key, and reprogram it to my car.

As you can probably guess, my key will only lock the car, but not unlock the doors or open the boot.

I've fitted a new Battery, the little light flashes, but only the lock button works, and my other key is working fine.

The lexus route is a new programmed key, I guess £200+ or more.

Maybe worth trying this ebay Key repair  have thought have using one of these services for one of the keys on missus jag, just never got off my backside and sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

The lexus route is a new programmed key, I guess £200+ or more.

Maybe worth trying this ebay Key repair  have thought have using one of these services for one of the keys on missus jag, just never got off my backside and sorted.

Thanks Pete, I'll keep that eBay listing in mind, should my alternative not work out.

Fortunately I got an answer on the O.C facebook page, from a very helpful mechanic, that lists the procedure for reprogramming a key module, it also pointed to a thread on here.

Hopefully, all I need to do now is get one off eBay and do the required dance!!

3 hours ago, mikeyv said:

Thanks Pete, I'll keep that ebay listing in mind, should my alternative not work out.

Fortunately I got an answer on the O.C facebook page, from a very helpful mechanic, that lists the procedure for reprogramming a key module, it also pointed to a thread on here.

Hopefully, all I need to do now is get one off ebay and do the required dance!!

I've done it myself on a MK4, it's fairly simple but you MUST get the same key, one close to it won't work, neither will one from the US, and it has to be a master key.  Try someone breaking a MK4

• Like 1

I did one recently. Piece of cake to get it to start the car. Bit harder to programme it to unlock the car. Cost me 3 for the blank. 15 to have it cut. And 20 for the secondhand key 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chasdad said:

I did one recently. Piece of cake to get it to start the car. Bit harder to programme it to unlock the car. Cost me 3 for the blank. 15 to have it cut. And 20 for the secondhand key 

Yeah, I've done the new blank bit myself, but the guts was ok to transfer, on that occasion....I paid a bit more for the blank, but a bit less to have it cut, so about the same in total, and that one is still working fine.

Where did you get your 2nd hand key from, and how did you know it would be suitable?

10 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I've done it myself on a MK4, it's fairly simple but you MUST get the same key, one close to it won't work, neither will one from the US, and it has to be a master key.  Try someone breaking a MK4

Thanks Phil.

Do you know how I can identify a 2nd hand key as being suitable?

Is getting a MKIV key the only way, or did they change the key during that period as well?

Currently, I'm thinking that matching the numbers on my other key, should do the job.

IMAG0387.jpg

I'm certain that only a MK4 key will do it. The numbers have to be the same, as in your photo, but there are also a few subtle differences with the buttons.  If I remember correctly there are some with a triangle on one of the buttons and some without, just make sure it's identical.  They do come up on eBay which is where I got mine for £25.  Have you tried reprogramming your existing key just in case it's been corrupted in some way.  And remember you can't unprogramme your car by trying the sequence many times so it's safe to keep trying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I'm certain that only a MK4 key will do it. The numbers have to be the same, as in your photo, but there are also a few subtle differences with the buttons.  If I remember correctly there are some with a triangle on one of the buttons and some without, just make sure it's identical.  They do come up on eBay which is where I got mine for £25.  Have you tried reprogramming your existing key just in case it's been corrupted in some way.  And remember you can't unprogramme your car by trying the sequence many times so it's safe to keep trying.

Great idea, never occurred to me.

Thanks for the triangle tip too, mine has one.

2 hours ago, mikeyv said:

Just checked the two "possibles" on ebay, neither has the triangle on the unlock button, though one has the exact same numbers as mine, isn't life complicated?

Complicated enough to make you want to call the Samaritans sometimes!!

I kept looking until I found the exact match, patience is a virtue and all that!