Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Gutted ! Just this evening I finished work and started mys car. Oops the ready symbol flashed few times and the car wont start at all. The ready sign kept flashing no warnigs. After few seconds the engine kicked in and got the Check Hybrid System warning along with red triangle and Check Engine Light. (No other warning lights )

The car has done 65k miles and a 2010 se-l model. Well serviced and recently did the Hybrid Health Check. I only bought it two months back so only have a basic 6month warranty. was waiting for it to finish before i can put lexus warranty. 

So  I called lexus and the asked me to bring it. The car was running as normal on both electric and engine even the energy monitor showing like it is running fine. The Battery was charging properly infact it went to a high charge state on the way to lexus. Nothing odd happened over last two days just a lot of driving on country roads. One thing i noticed is a slight sulfur like smell in the morning in side the cabin. I thought this might be the brand of petrol I used. Other thing is i have been having a break squeal issue since i bought the car but that i think due to the dealer did not shim the break pads properly when i bought the car.  I left to lexus but they will only get it diagnosed tomorrow morning.

Any one had similar issue please share I am in a bit of a bad situation here. Also any advise please shout out.

Many thanks

Harry,

If you bought the car from a dealer just two months ago, then it is his Statutory Responsibility to correct such problems at his expense. Do not allow anyone to attempt to repair or replace anything until you have contacted the dealer and reminded him of his responsibilities and received a response.Do keep us all informed and good luck..

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi thanks

I have informed the dealer and they asked me to wait for lexus to do the diagnosis. Really worried hope this is not something major. 

Reading else were it might be a software update. My car did run fine on both electric and ice.

I will keep posting on what happens.

Hi Harry

The 12v can cause all sorts of issues if it is faulty but being a 2010 model I seriously doubt it would be that, - what concerns me is this sulphurous smell you talk about as it could be electrolyte leakage possibly but that would again be quite rare.

Your Hybrid Battery is still covered under warranty by Lexus so if there is an issue with it they are obligated to rectify it !

If you don't get anywhere with your Lexus dealer then escalate it up the chain.

As a last resort I am around.

All the Best

Richard 

Hi

Thanks

The car has done 64k and initially the car did not start it ready sign kept flashing sat nav and radio was working fine. Suddenly after a min the car engin fired and the steady "check Hybrid system" symbol came on along with cel (no other errors). could it be the 12v Battery for this millage?

Does sulphurous smell comes from the main Battery? how is it possible with it being in the back seats? Sorry just for my understanding.

Thanks Richard I heard a lot of good reviews about you will def use your help if lexus couldnt resolve this. Still waiting for a call. 

In all honesty there are a Myriad of possible causes Harry, bad 12v, bad hybrid, bad cat, - oxygen/air flow sensors, oil pump, bad cooling fan, blocked cooling fan, bad inlet air sensor bad temp sensor-faulty wiring, bad connections the list is endless only a Techstream check will reveal the culprate/s.

The electrolyte in the cells is not sulphurous Harry but the resulting fumes of a leakage could well be - this would be extremely rare though Harry so don't worry too much about that. The Battery modules can withstand quite large pressures without damage, but minor physical damage during assembly of the Battery pack is always a possibility no matter how well they are checked prior to sale, i think it unlikely to be hybrid Battery failure but nevertheless the possibility still exists.

Richard  

1 hour ago, catchhster said:

Hi

Thanks

The car has done 64k and initially the car did not start it ready sign kept flashing sat nav and radio was working fine. Suddenly after a min the car engin fired and the steady "check Hybrid system" symbol came on along with cel (no other errors). could it be the 12v battery for this millage?

Does sulphurous smell comes from the main battery? how is it possible with it being in the back seats? Sorry just for my understanding.

Thanks Richard I heard a lot of good reviews about you will def use your help if lexus couldnt resolve this. Still waiting for a call. 

Harry,please remember that it is the dealer you bought from who is required to fix the problem(s), NOT Lexus. 

If the supplying dealer authorises Lexus to fix,then that`s fine,but do not become involved yourself in trying to effect/arrange the fix.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

True I have informed the dealer already and they advised it is ok for Lexus to have it diagnosed. Once I know what the issue is i will call the dealer straight. I rather have lexus fix the issue rather than the dealer. Any way I will consult the dealer before authorising lexus to carryout the repair

Thanks

Harry

• Like 1

Hi All

Just called lexus chester and they are struggling to find the exact fault. I am yet to get the fault code from them. What they said is it is throwing up an error on "Transmission Pressure Switch" which they said is very uncommon . They still need more time to workout what exactly is going on.

Thanks

Harry

• Like 1

So beginning to get somewhere at least then Harry, on the older models like mine it is quite common to get the auxiliary transmission oil pump problem which if memory serves gives P2797 and sets the "Check Hybrid System" message.

There are a Myriad of things that can set that.

Glad your getting there, keep posting

Richard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

So beginning to get somewhere at least then Harry, on the older models like mine it is quite common to get the auxiliary transmission oil pump problem which if memory serves gives P2797 and sets the "Check Hybrid System" message.

There are a Myriad of things that can set that.

Glad your getting there, keep posting

Richard

Hi I got a call again from lexus and the diagnostics likelihood is that there will be a fault with either the transmission oil pressure switch or potentially an electronic fault with the hybrid vehicle control ECU. The exact fault coede is  P0990-897

The diagnosis itself will cost 300pounds. 

If it is the pressure switch it is very labour intensive but the part is cheaper around 100 - 200 pounds

If it is the HV ECU then the part is expensive but less labour intensive. So I assume It is going to cost me around 2000 pounds. I do have a basic warranty but there may be a limit on this. I am going to have to ask my dealer where i bought from to cover any add cost as I only had the car for 2 months. I am not sure exactly of my statuary rights on this. 

I wonder what could have caused this issue. It seems very rare case. Any guess on which one is most likely the cause. Considering the car runs fine i think it is the switch. 

Thanks

Harry

• Like 1

I think i would be inclined to agree about sensor - I am not too sure on your rights & your warranty in respect to this but clearly the place where you bought the car is the first stop, it is always worth mentioning that you are a member of the Lexus Owners Club as they will be less likely to string you along if they know they will get negative publicity on here & indeed dont forget facebook & twitter most places hate them. If you say there are quite a few people following your thread on it it will probably help.

I am just wondering if somehow the fluid filter in the gearbox has become blocked leading to low pressure (all you followers what do you think?) if so that is easy to do.

I also wonder if there is a legal begal on Lexus owners club who can answer your statutory rights question - might be worth posting a request for help on the main Forum page Harry (worth a go)

Richard

Harry, Given that you bought the car from a car dealer you are covered by a Statutory Warranty for the first 6 months of your ownership.The Statutory Warranty makes the dealer responsible for repairing at his expense any non trivial problem which arises.You do not have to prove that the problem existed at the time or was subsequent to your accepting ownership. Such problems as occur are deemed to have been existing or were in the process of existing at the point of sale.

Your basic warranty is an irrelevance and should not have been sold to you. It is simply a devcie that dealers use to try to avoid their Satutory Responsibilities

The Dealer will be aware of his responsibilities, but you should treat him with respect and the utmost politeness and he will probably either authorise Lexus Chester to effect the repairs for which he will be responsibile for payment, or offer you your money back in return for the car.

If you need further advice you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or email Honest John at honestjohn.co.uk.

Take a look at this first           http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keywords/?word=used++cars

Good luck and do not despair.

Regards

John

18 hours ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

I think i would be inclined to agree about sensor - I am not too sure on your rights & your warranty in respect to this but clearly the place where you bought the car is the first stop, it is always worth mentioning that you are a member of the Lexus Owners Club as they will be less likely to string you along if they know they will get negative publicity on here & indeed dont forget facebook & twitter most places hate them. If you say there are quite a few people following your thread on it it will probably help.

I am just wondering if somehow the fluid filter in the gearbox has become blocked leading to low pressure (all you followers what do you think?) if so that is easy to do.

I also wonder if there is a legal begal on Lexus owners club who can answer your statutory rights question - might be worth posting a request for help on the main Forum page Harry (worth a go)

Richard

17 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Harry, Given that you bought the car from a car dealer you are covered by a Statutory Warranty for the first 6 months of your ownership.The Statutory Warranty makes the dealer responsible for repairing at his expense any non trivial problem which arises.You do not have to prove that the problem existed at the time or was subsequent to your accepting ownership. Such problems as occur are deemed to have been existing or were in the process of existing at the point of sale.

Your basic warranty is an irrelevance and should not have been sold to you. It is simply a devcie that dealers use to try to avoid their Satutory Responsibilities

The Dealer will be aware of his responsibilities, but you should treat him with respect and the utmost politeness and he will probably either authorise Lexus Chester to effect the repairs for which he will be responsibile for payment, or offer you your money back in return for the car.

If you need further advice you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or email Honest John at honestjohn.co.uk.

Take a look at this first           http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keywords/?word=used++cars

Good luck and do not despair.

Regards

John

Thanks a lot for your advice. Lexus has comeback to me with an estimate. It is actually the Trans' Oil Pressure switch that is faulty and needs a replacement of the pressure switches pb1, pb2 and pb3 and also transmission oil strainer, gasket  and fluid itself. Costing 3hours of labour and around 300 quid for parts. come around just under £1000

In terms of the claim I am going to claim via warranty and will ask my dealer to cover the rest. So hopefully I will collect the car without paying a penny. I am also going to get the Lexus warranty straight after I get this fixed.  I also wanted a good OBD2 cable and tech  stream software. 

Thanks to LexusOwnersClub this is such a helpful forum with lot of helpful people.

How does 3 hours labour come to just under £700?

The Lexus warranty is a good idea.

I got this cable and it works well for me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-VCI-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-TechStream-OBD2-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-J2534-/281433277273?hash=item4186bb0359:g:L-gAAOSwfcVUDDNX

4 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

How does 3 hours labour come to just under £700?

The Lexus warranty is a good idea.

I got this cable and it works well for me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-VCI-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-TechStream-OBD2-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-J2534-/281433277273?hash=item4186bb0359:g:L-gAAOSwfcVUDDNX

Hi Shahpor. That is Parts and labour. TBH I dont know the final figure. 

I will buy the cable thanks that. 

Hi All 

Thanks a lot for your support and help. Good News !!

Warranty company I am with apparently already in business with Lexus Chester Grp. So they authorised the repair and cover the cost. I will get the car back early next week.

From what I have seen around he forum this Oil Pressure switch seems to be a common problem for the gs and I have raised this with Lexus customer relations (search for common gs450h problems).  I also said I am claiming this via warranty but something they need to look into. I believe there is a manufacturing defect in the switch which causing it to fail. So the lady I spoke to said head office will contact me regarding this. I am not looking for lexus to cnver any cost as it is already been paid for but this might help others who are having the same issue. 

Thanks

Harry

• Like 2