Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2004 RX330 starter battery alternator failure

Tags: Fly LyricsDiamonds LyricsI Do Lyrics

My wife's Rx330 has about 150k miles and recently started failing in various places. First the starter gave up and stopped engaging. Replaced it, but after a little while a 2.5 year old Battery also failed. Replaced it as well but decided to check up an alternator. It also failed the test, was generating about 13.3v output. So I'm going to take it out today and replaced it as well. The question I have is the following, what could have caused such a massive failure? I understand that bad alternator could cause the Battery to go bad and vice verse but why the starter then? Could there be some underlying other problem? Also after I replaced the Battery, the windows in the back and front passenger side stopped opening from the drivers console ringtone, but are opening from each door controls. Thank you

song lyrics, closer lyrics, heathens lyrics

13.3v on the alternator is good - I'm a bit confused - it could be th rectifier has gone in the alternator tho as this smooths the output - when this goes strange things are known to happen with vehicle electrics...

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, ChrisKaye said:

13.3v on the alternator is good - I'm a bit confused - it could be th rectifier has gone in the alternator tho as this smooths the output - when this goes strange things are known to happen with vehicle electrics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diode pack consisting of 6 diodes in a 3 phase alternator merely rectify or convert the AC output to DC, the voltage regulator controls the DC output voltage dependent on the load demands. The car Battery which has inherent capacitance provides smoothing.

• Like 1

Thanks for chiming in guys, I wanted to mention about the regulator in my previous post but had a temporary brain fade when writing it! If the OP is handy with spanners, it may be worth checking all the contacts and connectors are good on his existing Alternator and give them a clean. If none of that works, then take the alternator somewhere it can be tested to ensure it is doing what it is supposed to. Refurbed/reconditioned alternators can be had from various sources from about £90 up but with a problem like this you cannot / shouldn't be foregoing decent diagnostics/tests as swapping parts becomes very expensive very quickly!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links