Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replaced my Battery in April, genuine Toyota item, generally agreed on here to be the best replacement, car wouldn't turn over yesterday, Battery wouldn't charge beyond 10.3v, having read 9.5v when first connected.

I was pretty sure it was a goner when I saw the 9v reading, especially as the car was fine the day before.

Toyota stuck a meter on it, confirming it was no good, and exchanged for a new one, under the three year warranty.

Don't know where the old one was made, but the replacement is Czech made, which surprised me a bit.

57 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

I changed mine about the same time as you but with a Lexus one, it will be interesting to see how long my one lasts. Mike.

Oh, I must admit, I assumed they would both be badged Toyota.

Not that I'd have done any different, as we're a long way from a Lexus dealer.

As you say, will be interesting to see how long both our batteries last!

I bought an oil filter from a Lexus dealer a few months ago for £13.66 which is a lot more than a compatible would have cost. When I opened the box and the filter had a "made in China" label on it I was quite surprised that it wasn't made in Japan-I don't think I would buy a "genuine" oil filter again if they are sourcing their parts from China! I think the same is probably true of Lexus/Toyota batteries-you assume you are getting better quality, but are you if they are supplying batteries from Czech??  I think I would rather stick to a known quality brand like Varta/ Bosch rather than being sold an unknown brand made god knows where.  My last Battery was a Varta and lasted 8 years before it needed replacing..

It's the same old story on this site, Lexus branded parts and Lexus technicians are the best, based on what.......they cost more....pffft.

There are dozens of world renown brands of filters, oils, brake pads, batteries, but where do the sheep go running to? Lexus and pay over the odds.

• Like 1

I do rather agree. I have to say I am a fan of Euro Car Parts having used them for maybe 15-20 years. In the early days they only did Mercedes, Audi, Volvo and SAAB. They now seem to do most cars. I know may garages use them too.

Stick to Mann, Hengst, Bosch, Pagid, and 100% synthetic oil and one will not go far wrong. Look at the spec, not just the name.

Having said that, I used a particular make of the same Goodyear tyres over maybe a decade. I fitted maybe 4 identical sets. The were made in .....Germany, France, China, and Germany. Crazy really, as Goodyear ensure the same consistency, and each set was the same. But when I saw the last set was 'made in Germany' I did feel a bit better.

My Yve St Laurent suits were once made in Italy.....then Vietnam.....then Indonesia!

The Duracell batteries have a 5 year guarantee, 2 years longer than Toyota.

Everyone knows, or at least I thought they did, that Toyota, Lexus, Ford, VW, Nissan etc., etc., etc., do not make batteries/exhausts/brakes and the like. They just buy them in from the same sources we would and stick on a gazillion percent markup before selling them to the sheeple.

Same goes for servicing/mechanical work, to a degree at least. Ok, I admit that I've never been rich enough to buy a brand new car (58 now and even if I live to be 100, I'll still never manage a brand new car) and I can see that if you're buying a high-value car you'll want to hold on to as much of that value as you can. But, if you're the kind of person who just buys a car and runs it until it dies (like I am), then there's no need whatsoever to keep servicing and other work in the stable of the main stealers. There are plenty of very knowedgeable and very capable independent guys out there who do a great job - plus you get a warm, fuzzy feeling in your tummy knowing that your money is going to a good home, rather than just providing yet another bottle of Moet & Chandon for some fat cat somewhere :biggrin:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MLW said:

I do rather agree. I have to say I am a fan of Euro Car Parts having used them for maybe 15-20 years. In the early days they only did Mercedes, Audi, Volvo and SAAB. They now seem to do most cars. I know may garages use them too.

Stick to Mann, Hengst, Bosch, Pagid, and 100% synthetic oil and one will not go far wrong. Look at the spec, not just the name.

Having said that, I used a particular make of the same Goodyear tyres over maybe a decade. I fitted maybe 4 identical sets. The were made in .....Germany, France, China, and Germany. Crazy really, as Goodyear ensure the same consistency, and each set was the same. But when I saw the last set was 'made in Germany' I did feel a bit better.

My Yve St Laurent suits were once made in Italy.....then Vietnam.....then Indonesia!

The Duracell batteries have a 5 year guarantee, 2 years longer than Toyota.

I'm quite a fan of Eurocarparts and they often have online deals at weekends.  I got the radiator for my LS for £85 and the service parts for my Volvo at 30% discount last Bank Holiday. I don't have the same issue with suits as the last one I wore was in 1972, and the manufacturing location of my chosen outfitters garments has remained consistently far eastern, adorning me with the semi vagrant look!

• Like 1

The reality of course is that the last decade has seen the best of both worlds; research and production standards set in Europe and the USA and products made to that standard in the far east. So long as it is a top brand the standard is set. That is why a top oil filter can often be £4.50p with Euro Car Parts discount. After all most of these car parts are fairly low tech. A brake master cylinder is only a casting with a fluid box on it and a plunger in a bore hole. Perfect for simple overseas production.

1 hour ago, MLW said:

The reality of course is that the last decade has seen the best of both worlds; research and production standards set in Europe and the USA and products made to that standard in the far east. So long as it is a top brand the standard is set. That is why a top oil filter can often be £4.50p with Euro Car Parts discount. After all most of these car parts are fairly low tech. A brake master cylinder is only a casting with a fluid box on it and a plunger in a bore hole. Perfect for simple overseas production.

Research and production standards set in Europe and USA?

Really?

Think the Japanese might disagree, if we're talking about the car industry,  as do I.

Am very happy to be a "sheep" and only fit OEM parts from Lexus dealer. The same applies to my wife's Honda, and guess what fantastic reliability with both vehicles.

I use a good indie for my Lexus who is old school Mercedes trained. He has a large customer base, built up over years, together with experience, and would always use OEM.......because in his words.... they fit.

It does not matter where the parts are made, it is the quality, with some very high quality coming out or China......alongside a lot of dross.

2 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Am very happy to be a "sheep" and only fit OEM parts from Lexus dealer. The same applies to my wife's Honda, and guess what fantastic reliability with both vehicles.

I use a good indie for my Lexus who is old school Mercedes trained. He has a large customer base, built up over years, together with experience, and would always use OEM.......because in his words.... they fit.

It does not matter where the parts are made, it is the quality, with some very high quality coming out or China......alongside a lot of dross.

But this is the point - what is OEM? I can tell you that neither Toyota nor Lexus have a Battery manufacturing plant (but will happily hold my hand up if anyone knows different) and yet MikeyV's initial post that started this topic off states that he replaced his Battery in April "genuine Toyota item". Second post in the topic has the other Mike (Bluesman) saying that he has a Lexus Battery. I'd almost stake a year's wages that neither of those batteries are manufactured by Toyota or Lexus. They may be Bosch or Varta or something else, manufactured for Toyota and Lexus and with the Toyota and Lexus names on, but they have not been made by Toyota or Lexus. So why not just buy a Varta or Bosch-branded Battery for less money and easier availability?

When the exhaust needed replacing on our Nissan Maxima QX 3.0 V6 Se Plus, I tried Kwik-Fit, National and all the usual suspects but none of them could get one. Nissan wanted £795. Instead, I got a custom-made stainless steel exhaust, warrantied for the life of the car and transferrable to however many new owners it may have had, for £350 fitted. That goes way over and above, and far exceeds OEM spec., but you'd happily pay the £795 because it was Nissan-branded and would come from a Nissan main dealer?

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

As it happens I notice Eurocarparts are offering 30% off online until this eve, a pretty good deal I think. I bought a Bosch battery for my wife's car, £47. 

I don't know that the 30% is a good deal, it's an offer that when you look is usually similar to this:

Brakes pads sold for £30 normally. RRP £39.

This weekend only, 30% off RRP.

Bargain.......:wacko:

On 23/10/2016 at 3:15 PM, RgrWynne said:

OEM parts are not made by the car manufacturers, they are parts used by the car manufacturers and come from various sources as mentioned by sorcerer.

If people believe all parts on Lexus cars are manufactured by Lexus they are deluded. :lol:

I use OEM until warranty etc expires then its Euro car parts....

(btw whats with the petty name calling ? Has this place changed or is this the norm now..this place used to be a bastion of civility)

4 hours ago, Verbout said:

I don't know that the 30% is a good deal, it's an offer that when you look is usually similar to this:

Brakes pads sold for £30 normally. RRP £39.

This weekend only, 30% off RRP.

Bargain.......:wacko:

Well as I say, I got a Bosch Battery for £47 which no one else could match and a Koyo radiator for £85 which is now £135, and the brembo brake pads for my Volvo for £30 which I can't match anywhere else so it seems good to me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Well as I say, I got a Bosch battery for £47 which no one else could match and a Koyo radiator for £85 which is now £135, and the Brembo brake pads for my Volvo for £30 which I can't match anywhere else so it seems good to me.

They are good deals, I use them all the time, but you have to be aware that some of the deals are "staged" and as long as you're aware, that's ok. :thumbup:

......  just to re-iterate previous thoughts for those replacing the Battery on a Mk3 Ls400 ..........  the OEM Toyota specific Battery is actually shaped to fit into the tray which is itself a slightly odd shape and doesn't accommodate, at all well, a standard Battery base !  And the Toyota price at that time, for me, was slightly less than the alternative makes prices.

My experiences with replacing the batteries on the Mk1 and Mk2 was easy with non OEM, just seemingly straight edged trays I guess.

Malc

4 hours ago, Malc said:

......  just to re-iterate previous thoughts for those replacing the battery on a Mk3 Ls400 ..........  the OEM Toyota specific battery is actually shaped to fit into the tray which is itself a slightly odd shape and doesn't accommodate, at all well, a standard battery base !  And the Toyota price at that time, for me, was slightly less than the alternative makes prices.

My experiences with replacing the batteries on the Mk1 and Mk2 was easy with non OEM, just seemingly straight edged trays I guess.

Malc

Similarly, the MKIV has a box, that fits snugly over the Battery, so a replacement would need to be the exact measurement of the original.

If the price difference was considerable, you could dispense with the box, I suppose.

I do have faith in Toyota/Lexus parts, but I won't pay "silly" prices.

I could also lose faith rapidly, should parts give up the ghost after four months, on a regular basis.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, mikeyv said:

Research and production standards set in Europe and USA?

Really?

Think the Japanese might disagree, if we're talking about the car industry,  as do I.

Oh I forgot about the Japanese! I have to say my LS has a 'made in Japan' sticker on the windscreen and it does make me feel warm and content inside, just like the Goodyear tyres made in Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, I have just ordered this service kit from Lexus Birmingham on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Service-Kit-LS430-/182322311882?hash=item2a7341b2ca:g:8M8AAOSwcLxYCMIU

The Lexus oil filter is made in China. Air filter made by Denso in Japan, and the pollen filter made in the USA........roll on globalisation.

Combined with Asda SN fully synthetic oil and Europarts antifreeze and distilled water (for a flush out)......the perfect combination!

I have a genuine Toyota Battery which is still good and must now be at least 6 years old.  It's apparently made in France.

Mind you, it let me down the other day - but this was because I'd left the door ajar all night.  Not good when you've agreed to take someone to a hospital appointment, and you turn the key and... nothing.