Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New used car

mikefoil

Hi, I think I should introduce myself, I live in Worcester and my name is Mike

i currently own a IS.250 v6. I have owned this car from new, and in January 2017 it is 9 years old and has done 77,000 miles.

i have recently took the car for a call back issue, and the dealers Listers Lexus in Cheltenham did a visual check on my car. Basically they have told me that I need to spend approx. £2500.00 on brake discs + pads, a small engine leak, a complete exhaust system and 2 rear tyres.

Now here is my problem, do I spend that sort of money, and hopefully, as near as damn it, end up with a car as good as it  can be, taking its age etc. Into consideration. Or do I purchase a used ct200 for approx. 12000.00 plus my car with a mileage of 24k.

i really do not know what to do, and would appreciate anybody's advice or comments regarding my quandary.

i may add that £2500 is quite manageable, with my financial circumstances, but £12000 is really pushing the boat out.

Thankyou, Mike

Hello Mike,

stick with the IS . 

Most of the costs quoted are for the exhaust . 

A custom made stainless exhaust could be half that price ! 

Did they give you a breakdown of the costs ?  

Thanks for the reply, Pablo

quoted 1800 for exhaust + 140 for bolts gaskets etc.

290 for front discs and pads.  250 for engine oil leak + 200 for rear tyres.

the point I am trying to make, which I omitted from my original post.

my Lexus IS  is in excellent condition inside and outside, and considering I have had it nearly 9 years, apart from usual wear and tear I.e. Tyres and brake pads etc. Oil changes etc. This is the first time I gave been faced with a large bill.

If you love the car and have no wish to see the back of it I'd spend the money without hesitation.

If on the other hand you're getting itchy feet or think you will in the near future then I'd take the opportunity to trade it in.

Just my 2 cents worth

2 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I'd take it to an independent for a second opinion before doing anything.

My view too Mike.

It is one of the most,if not the most reliable car of its time.

You`ve had it from new.

It has not let you down.

It has a full service history.

You know its idyosyncrasies.

Keep it and take it past 100,000

and be very proud.

A no brainer me thinks !

Regards

John

2 hours ago, mikefoil said:

the point I am trying to make, which I omitted from my original post.

my Lexus IS  is in excellent condition inside and outside, and considering I have had it nearly 9 years, apart from usual wear and tear I.e. Tyres and brake pads etc. Oil changes etc. This is the first time I gave been faced with a large bill.

Ouch !

They aren't called stealers for nothing. Amazing how a simple call back or return to a main dealer can result in such misery. 

Keep your pride and joy but get the issues they identified looked at by an Independent garage. Tyres,exhaust, pads and discs are obvious wear and tear but a complete exhaust..really? Has it failed its MOT...  

My mums  2005 Toyota is still on the original but when they told us 5 years ago it needed a water pump, gear box and complete exhaust they lost our custom. None have actually required replacing although the MOT advisory last month said the exhaust was leaking slightly... 

Where is the oil leak , thats really unusual...is it slight seepage from a gasket or is it dripping on your drive?

You car is 9 years old , discs and pads through an Independent should be no more than £200 - if they need doing that is. The tyre quote sounds reasonable but you can see if they are worn or not and ring around for quotes. 

Its probably the time that you either move away from lexus for servicing / repairs or do as you are suggesting and keep in the fold and buy a used (presume nearly new) . If you want to keep your current car look elsewhere for repairs / quotes - if it actually needs them that is.

• Like 1

The thread below shows a brand-new, custom made stainless steel exhaust for an RX300 for £395 with a lifetime warranty. I would imagine yours may well be more expensive than that but wouldn't think too much more. I would never go to the main stealers for items such as exhausts, tyres, brakes etc., their prices are just silly beyond words.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/109088-rx300-custom-exhaust/#comment-966031

• Like 2

In my opinion (a CT owner) I would put the money into your car but not with a dealer. An IS is a great car and you love it. Don't let this put you off it. Going from an IS to a CT you'll be gutted with the power differences between the two but impressed with the mpg of the CT. I wanted an IS but it's too big for my garage so got a CT instead. I'm very pleased with it,it's an awesome car but doesn't have the IS grunt. Good luck in your choice [emoji4]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, sorcerer said:

The thread below shows a brand-new, custom made stainless steel exhaust for an RX300 for £395 with a lifetime warranty. I would imagine yours may well be more expensive than that but wouldn't think too much more. I would never go to the main stealers for items such as exhausts, tyres, brakes etc., their prices are just silly beyond words.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/109088-rx300-custom-exhaust/#comment-966031

Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

• Like 1

These Mintex discs and pads are well respected for their quality, add in the fitting at a good independent a SS custom exhaust, 2 tyres and the oil leak I would estimate around £1200 all in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS250-IS220D-IS200D-IS250C-BRAKE-DISC-CROSS-DRILLED-BRAKE-PAD-FRONT-REAR-/321839899102?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item4aef2721de:g:-Z8AAOSwDNdV13HC

• 3 weeks later...
On 22 October 2016 at 3:07 PM, royoftherovers said:

Do please let us know what you (or the wife ?) decide Mike.   :)

Regards

John

Hi John,

and just to let everyone else know, who responded to my first post on being a new member.

i have now had my Lexus fixed. The rear tyres cost £186 for the pair, my front discs and pads (local garage) cost £211

my supposed oil leak from rocker cover was non existent cost £ 00. And my biggest problem - according to Lexus I needed my

exhaust replacing - £50 for a touch of welding. Therefore overall costs. £447. 

A bit different to the approx. Cost of £2500 from Listers Lexus of Cheltenham. It also sailed through the MOT.

i have treated myself to a new set of mats, seat cover for my drivers seat, and 2 s steel tail trims for my exhaust.

Highly delighted.

thanks again to everyone,Mike

• Like 2

Mike, a bit late to the party but I would only have agreed with the other posters and therefore very glad you got it sorted out for a realistic proper price. I think knowledge and history of a car is worth it's weight in gold, as is the relationship with a good independent garage. As an aside, my old IS300 is on ZV7s at the moment, which have proved miles better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx they replaced; a little twitchy this morning at -1°C but superb otherwise.

3 hours ago, gdh300 said:

Mike, a bit late to the party but I would only have agreed with the other posters and therefore very glad you got it sorted out for a realistic proper price. I think knowledge and history of a car is worth it's weight in gold, as is the relationship with a good independent garage. As an aside, my old IS300 is on ZV7s at the moment, which have proved miles better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx they replaced; a little twitchy this morning at -1°C but superb otherwise.

Thanks Glyn

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links